The Student Room Group

Do i need AAA to get into a good university? [for an Accountancy degree]

This year in my AS's i had ABCD,
my predicted grades are A*AB,

The course i want to do requires AAB but everyones telling me i wont get in unless i get AAA. The course is accountancy btw in cardiff university. Do i really have to get AAA to have any chance of getting into a good university? I know in cardiff university the places are very popular but i thought if you met the entry requirements you had a good chance of getting a place.

:confused:

thanks for the help.
By the way what entry requirements do you have to meet? and what are your predicted grades?

Scroll to see replies

If the course requirements are AAB, then you need to get AAB.
Reply 2
Yes you do if not you have to go to dustbin man college
Reply 3
Accountancy isn't particularly competitive, so you don't need an AAA prediction. I think as long as you are predicted ABB+, you can get into a good University. In this instance, you need an AAB prediction (which you have)
Reply 4
Depends which course (ie how competitive it is), and what you mean by 'good'.

I think admissions tutors are largely ignoring A* predictions, so with AAB you meet the requirements and so do stand a chance for Cardiff, but be aware that others will be applying with better.
Reply 5
Gah I'm in the same boat as you OP.
(edited 11 years ago)
depends on how competitive the course is
i want to do mechanical engineering and most are AAB, but i hope its not too competitive
Reply 8
cruciform
Do straight BSc Accounting at the Uni of Liverpool. It requires ABB. The Uni of Liverpool does just as well as Cardiff in league tables, plus it is also a Rusell Group uni. Also, the Uni of Liverpool was one of the original red brick universities (Bristol, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Liverpool and Leeds). Check here. Also the course content for BSc Accounting is easier at Liverpool than at Cardiff, thus easier to get a 2:1/1st degree.
We have a person on TSR who went to Liverpool to do straight BSc Accounting and now he is working at a Big4 company; it's the recession as well! So consider this option. I strongly recommend it. The average grades at Liverpool is AAB/ABB.

Liverpool is too far and too expensive for me :frown: i live in wales and dont have a car. Cardiff is the best option for me, although it does sound good in liverpool!
Reply 9
lets_make_some_music
depends on how competitive the course is
i want to do mechanical engineering and most are AAB, but i hope its not too competitive

How do i find out how competitive a course is?
Nataliex182
Liverpool is too far and too expensive for me :frown: i live in wales and dont have a car. Cardiff is the best option for me, although it does sound good in liverpool!

I strongly recommend it as one of your options. Remember that university is about getting out of your comfort zones, that's half the experience! The rest is studying.:biggrin:
Reply 11
kiss_me_now9
If the course requirements are AAB, then you need to get AAB.

Yes i understand that but is AAB good enough to get a place?
Reply 12
Whatever you need aim for AAA cause if you aim low, you get even lower grades!
Reply 13
cruciform
I strongly recommend it as one of your options. Remember that university is about getting out of your comfort zones, that's half the experience! The rest is studying.:biggrin:

Ill have to try and convince my parents :rolleyes:
The thing is i dont know if they could afford to send me there, cardiff is pushing it but they know i really want to go there
Reply 14
theBOON
Whatever you need aim for AAA cause if you aim low, you get even lower grades!

I know but im trying to be realistic, thats what all my lectures keep telling us 'be realistic'
AAB is defintely enough to get into Cardiff considering it's entry requirements were ABB in 2009
Nataliex182
Ill have to try and convince my parents :rolleyes:
The thing is i dont know if they could afford to send me there, cardiff is pushing it but they know i really want to go there

The loans should cover you well though. If living expenses is the problem, then get a part-time job.:smile:
Reply 17
Maccountant
AAB is defintely enough to get into Cardiff considering it's entry requirements were ABB in 2009

but for 2010 they're AAB
Nataliex182
How do i find out how competitive a course is?

i have no idea
word of mouth i guess, like medicine and english are competitive
Nataliex182
but for 2010 they're AAB

engineering's gone up to that as well i think from ABB :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending