The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Subscribed
Reply 2
relax and enjoy it.
University isn't a direct choice between being a room recluse/getting a good degree, or having a good social life/getting a third.

Work when you have to work, and make it focused.
Reply 4
The most important lesson I can give:

If working in a group, don't do the majority of the work without complaint because it's easier than confronting someone; you'll end up being worse off for it.
try not to throw up in the sink
Don't be afraid to send essay drafts to lecturers. I often sent drafts to my lecturers who in turn gave me some really good advice and I ended up getting great marks. Some students think that you're not allowed to do this, but at most universities it's perfectly fine to do and the lecturers are usually glad to help.
Get to know your personal tutor, because trying to get a reference out of University term time is an utter pain in the arse otherwise.
Reply 8
1) Get plenty of relevant (depending on your career aspirations) work experience either through a placement year or during the holidays. It just helps when you come to job searching when you finish

2) Join new clubs/societies. Do things you've never experienced before. Just have a bloody awesome time!
Turn up. And take showers, no-one likes being in the same room as the one student lacking in personal hygiene.
Reply 10
fabulous_darling
Don't be afraid to send essay drafts to lecturers. I often sent drafts to my lecturers who in turn gave me some really good advice and I ended up getting great marks. Some students think that you're not allowed to do this, but at most universities it's perfectly fine to do and the lecturers are usually glad to help.

Haha...didn't work for me. :frown::p:
Reply 11
Push yourself to develop into what you want to be, do new things, improve on things you can already do.
Work hard, make the most of all the opportunities you have, keep your future in mind, but remember that uni goes by so quickly, so don't waste it :smile:
Start your dissertation early.
In terms of academics: Despite what everyone tells you at every point in your education - cramming still works. When its exam time just lock yourself in your room for a month, sleep in the library every night, just suck it up and do what ever it takes. You are paying thousands of pounds for your degree remember.

In terms of lifestyle: Dont go over the top with the drinking. Its a fine line between enjoying the student experience and becoming reliant on alcohol. Which isnt a joke for some people.
Reply 15
-Don't get wasted often because you think it's cool, freshers are taken the mic out of because they go berserk in the first month or two after being 'released' lol
- Use your spare time wisely. You won't have this much spare time again. Learn to do something new like cook well, learn a language, study in the library, get fit, take up a sport or hobby
- Try at least one society, even if it's just once. I forced myself to go with the gliding society once because it was something exciting you wouldn't normally get the chance to do. Given the chance again, I would do other more extreme socirties like skydiving
- DO NOT leave your assignments til the last minute. I am a complete hypocrite for saying this, but at first you'll get one or two and think it'll be easy, then all of a sudden you get about 5 in a week lol and you have to research quite alot for each one too - not like school - and you can't use just the internet all the time
- Don't get on the wrong side of lecturers. Don't talk in class (because it'll be students as well as lecturers who will dislike you for it)
- Explore the city, perhaps travel further afield on days off to stop you feeling trapped
Enjoy :-)
Thanks for all your posts! :smile:

I would :love: to rep you all individually, but I don't have much rep power, and besides, it'll take me a while.

However, they're making interesting read. So far, the only comments I have received have been from Sixth Form tutors and admittedly it was good advice, with things having changed since their days (:eek:) it's nice to have a young and fresh perspective on things! :smile:

Please do feel free to keep posting them, as I'm sure they'll be appreciated by myself and others alike! :biggrin:
First year counts in the long run.

Good sleep habits make things much more manageable.

Don't try and learn your entire course at exam time. Work steadily throughout the year. This doesn't stop you having to cram in a panicked state for your exams, but it makes it less stressful, and the cramming a hell of alot more effective, because you've done the ground work.

(I'm a finalist not a grad, but meh)
If there are examiners notes along with the previous exam papers, ******* read them. I literally went from a 55% average in first year to 65% in second year, not by revising any more, but by revising smarter. I assumed that the general techniques i'd learnt at A level would be enough, but uni exams have very specific knacks you have to pick up on.
Reply 19
Don't burst into tears in your tutor's office.

Latest

Trending

Trending