The Student Room Group

If you were in my shoes .. ?

Hi, i really really want to study Journalism at University next year allthough i have no idea what to pick as my first choice or had any advice on the unis i like and there courses and how hard it is etc . .
At AS i did pretty badly, getting D in media studies, E in English Combined(lang&lit) & E in photography(Dropped) in all my subjects it was the coursework that let me down and the exams were pretty much allright. This year im taking A2 Media studies, A2 English Combined and AS Geography. With my 2 A2 lessons i am redoing the coursework after January to get last years AS Results up to at least a C or a B.

The Universitys im interested are . . .
Derby Uni (Journalism)
Leeds Trinity (Sports Journalism)
Leicester, De Montfort University (Journalism)
Nottingham Trent University (Broadcast Journalism)

What do you think my best choice would be and any advice?
It would be GREATLY appriciated

Thanks!
Reply 1
Honestly? I'd wonder what the hell I'm doing looking at Journalism when I did badly in both English and Media...
Reply 2
Just because i had a bad first year in AS doesnt mean i should give up going for something i have a true passion for. I've spent this year doing work experience for different magazines, had a couple of articles published and i write for a popular online website aimed at people aged 13-19.

So, that is what the hell I'm doing looking at Journalism thank you.
Is your English up to a standard which will mean you can get a decent Journalism degree? I mean, getting an E in English is pretty bad - considering it isn't difficult as subjects go, or certainly shouldn't be if you want a career that relies on having an excellent standard of English.

In terms of studying Journalism, if you're set on it, you want to go to a university where you'll get an accredited qualification (see http://www.nctj.com/)
There is a list on the NCJT website which shows all accredited courses and ideally you'll want to be going to one of those universities to achieve a qualification which is recognised...

From your list DMU/Leeds Met are on the list, so choose one of the courses at those institutions...if you're really set on studying Journalism...
Give the lad some motivation and encouragement.
Besides the grades, is there any reason why you are thinking of taking journalism rather than English? From everything i've ever heard, if journalism is what you are looking to do career wise, then English is generally the more respected degree in that field of the two.

Latest

Trending

Trending