The Student Room Group

Insurance uni choice

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if I really need an insurance choice for my UCAS application, you can see the unis ive currently put down in my signature, but I just think somewhere like Aberystwyth who want 280 points is a bit of a waste of time. I cant see that im gonna stay on the same grade im on now when im so determined to do well this year; im actually going to revise and im actually going to go to lessons! Last year I didnt go to a Stats lesson until Christmas so yeah you get the idea of what I was like. I changed after my January exams but it was too late unfortunately, I also learnt from my mistakes so im planning on working a lot harder and thus doing a lot better. Ill also be doing resits too.

So is an insurance choice that necessary? Im applying to do something that comes under Computer Science if thats needed.

Thanks
Reply 1
Someone must be able to give some advice on the subject? I know it hasnt even been half an hour yet but not even a single view?
Reply 2
I'm replying here purely so you understand that computer science isn't a majorly popular subject so people don't want to give you bad advice. Heres some general advice, If you're worried about insurance unis, pick 2 top of your hitlist, 2 that you think, I'm probably gonna get in there and 1 where you think if I don't get in here then I may as well not apply. But I don't know what grades you have, and I wouldn't apply to AAA unis if you got BBC or something.
Reply 3
U dont HAVE to put one down
to be honest I wouldn't bother putting an insurance choice down if you wouldn't be happy going there, I probably wouldn't have gone to mine if I couldn't go to my first choice.
Reply 4
Mann18
I'm replying here purely so you understand that computer science isn't a majorly popular subject so people don't want to give you bad advice. Heres some general advice, If you're worried about insurance unis, pick 2 top of your hitlist, 2 that you think, I'm probably gonna get in there and 1 where you think if I don't get in here then I may as well not apply. But I don't know what grades you have, and I wouldn't apply to AAA unis if you got BBC or something.

Well im guaranteed an A in ICT, I could easily get a B in Economics if I work hard. And Maths? Well im sitting on a D at the minute but I got an E in a module which should go up to an A when I resit so who knows. I am prepared to work really hard this year though.

The places ive put down so far want
Bath: AAB
Durham: ABB
Exeter: ABC
Royal Holloway: ABC
Insurance choice: ACC

I just think maybe my insurance choice could be a waste, especially when id like to put down Newcastle too who want ABC. If I work hard in Economics and Maths then I must be able to raise them up by at least a grade, especially with resits.

Do you think thats unreasonable?
Reply 5
J-D
U dont HAVE to put one down
to be honest I wouldn't bother putting an insurance choice down if you wouldn't be happy going there, I probably wouldn't have gone to mine if I couldn't go to my first choice.

Thats my thoughts, I dont wanna put somewhere down just for the sake of it. If I dont get into my top 4 then I think id rather go do a foundation degree or resit year 13.
Reply 6
Also, there's always clearing if you don't make your grades. There's normally places at Kingston Uni etc...
Reply 7
I'm doing Psychology, not Computer science. But, I put Exeter as my first choice and Warwick as my insurance, but really not wanting to go to Warwick. I said to myself that if I didn't get into Exeter I would have a gap year, re-sit and re-apply. Come results day, I slipped a grade and didn't get into Exeter. I am now off to Warwick and am very happy and very excited. My point is, you change over the months of year 13, and on results day, you might change your mind about re-taking a year if you don't get into your first choice. So I think you should put an insurance choice down, just incase.
Reply 8
Hmm, im not sure.

When looking at unis I dont just think whether its good or not, I like to decide on the surrounding area, what the people are like, crime rates, just general stuff like that. If I wasnt bothered about that then im sure id be fine to go through clearing or to put down any old uni as in insurance choice.

By this time next week ill have been to all the unis in my signature and im pretty sure ill either like Bath or Durham the best. Unfortunately theyre the two who want the highest grades.

That being said, the guy at the Bath open day said I only need to do reasonably well in Maths and I should be ok. This left me quite confused cus reasonably well made me think B but the entry requirement says AAB.
Reply 9
Do not apply to any uni you would not be reasonably happy to end up at!
Your firm choice should be the one you really want to go to, your insurance choice should be a uni you would quite like to go to that has slightly lower grades for entry. You don't have to choose your insurance/firm universities yet, you do that when you have all your offers, giving you time to visit them and ask lots of questions to help you decide. That will also give you time to do your january exams so you can have a realistic idea of what grades you are likely to end up with.
Reply 10
ElfManiac
Do not apply to any uni you would not be reasonably happy to end up at!
Your firm choice should be the one you really want to go to, your insurance choice should be a uni you would quite like to go to that has slightly lower grades for entry. You don't have to choose your insurance/firm universities yet, you do that when you have all your offers, giving you time to visit them and ask lots of questions to help you decide. That will also give you time to do your january exams so you can have a realistic idea of what grades you are likely to end up with.

I dont suppose you know what happens if say I was apply to unis that all want AAB/ABB and then in January I realise im not gonna get those grades. Is there any way to change the unis youve applied at?
Im not gonna do that but I was just wondering if you can change.
Reply 11
THRASHx
I dont suppose you know what happens if say I was apply to unis that all want AAB/ABB and then in January I realise im not gonna get those grades. Is there any way to change the unis youve applied at?
Im not gonna do that but I was just wondering if you can change.

I'm pretty sure you can contact UCAS and sort something out.

Latest

Trending

Trending