The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No. Depends on the person.

some people just learn to pass exams and don't show any intellect whatsoever.
Reply 2
Surely the most intelligent among us would have finished education?
I think some students are more intelligent than non students, and some non students are more intelligent than students. It obviously depends on the individual.

It also depends what you consider to be intelligence.

One of my friends dads thinks that higher education is nonsense, and actively encouraged all 3 of his children to drop out of school right after their GCSEs. He even mocked me and my other friends for choosing to go to University. Now, im sure most will agree that he is a moron, but thats just an example of how differently people view intelligence, he clearly thinks intelligence comes from something other that 'traditional' education.
Reply 4
timetokill
I think some students are more intelligent than non students, and some non students are more intelligent than students. It obviously depends on the individual.

It also depends what you consider to be intelligence.

One of my friends dads thinks that higher education is nonsense, and actively encouraged all 3 of his children to drop out of school right after their GCSEs. He even mocked me and my other friends for choosing to go to University. Now, im sure most will agree that he is a moron, but thats just an example of how differently people view intelligence, he clearly thinks intelligence comes from something other that 'traditional' education.

He certainly is a moron but I know what he means, even though he's went to far with the thought.

Some people view tertiary education as conditioning, reducing the student to learning facts, not asking questions and not being able to solve logical problems.

personally I don't think it's like that, I know many 'intelligent' students.
Depends on the person
As a general population, probably. Or rather, among the more intelligent the proportion of people going to university is higher.
it depends on what you describe as intelligence, someone going to oxbridge with amazing results maybe excellent on paper and in lectures but they may not be as streetwise as say a school leaver.

however in terms of general intelligence required to go to uni, non students can still be very smart, they might just be people smart enough to get into top unis but just dont want to go. and there is obviously the issue of who can afford to go as well
usually, but not always

some intelligent people dont make the use of their skills

likewise, some dumbass's dont want a job so try to get a degree

/thread
Not necessarily. I knew some incredibly bright people at school who didn't go to uni and are probs now single mothers, etc :frown:
jollyjester
Quick question- do you think that students are more intelligent than non students?

Do I think that people lose their intelligence when they finish their education?

Err no. What a stupid question.
Reply 11
For general common sense and knowledge, I'd say no. The ones who got a job when they left school seem to have their head screwed on more I think.

On the whole Students are more literate though, but that doesn't equal intelligence.

Latest

Trending

Trending