The Student Room Group

Mature Student... HELP

Hi, I'm 24 but will be 25 in September 2010 when I hope to go to university. I didn't go after I left school as I was in a band that was doing pretty well and thought that is how I would make a living but, as often happens with these things, it didn't work out. After a few years of working office jobs I've realized this isn't how I want to spend my life and would prefer to pursue my dream of being a writer - and to help achieve this goal I am extremely keen to go to uni and study English Literature and creative writing. I left school with good GCSEs (2 A*s, 6 As, B, C), fairly good AS-levels (A, A, B, C) and not so good A-levels (B, C, D - the B being in English Lit). The steady decline from AS-levels to A-levels reflects a rebellious stage, exacerbated by a turbulent home life at the time (not that I should make excuses). I'm confident of being able to study at a university level but am concerned about how to convince the universities of this fact. Relating to this I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth getting in touch with the universities I want to apply to and explaining my situation? Will they make a note of correspondence from me and will it be taken into consideration with my UCAS application or will they just offer advice?

2. I'm taking a short course in creative writing with the OU starting in November - should I mention this in my personal statement?

3. I plan to go traveling between March/April and July/August next year - is this something universities would find appealing and should I mention it in my personal statement?

4. Is it better to get the UCAS application sent off as early as possible? Does this mean potential interviews would be earlier too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm unsure of how best to go about getting into university but desperate to go as soon as possible. Thanks for your time!
Yes to all
Reply 2
As a mature student I (think) that although academic qualifications are important to an extent, also important is life experience. I would recommend contacting the universities and explaining your situation to them, that is your first step really. They will point you in the right direction as to what you should do.

Good Luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending