The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
maximusmak
With regards to homosexuality. who ever said it was normal to be gay is actually...gay. I mean, it is against nature to have 2 men together and 2 women together, how will reproduction exist.

You must understand...If you have a rule for 1, you must have a rule for all. If gays are allowed then, production is forbidden, if homosexuality is forbidden then reproduction continues. See what im getting at. Thats why homosexuality is forbidden.

Ont he positive, more gays = more women for us...lol

Go away, please.
Reply 281
Trigger
And it's people like you that make the rest of us mock the the religion :rolleyes:

Ohhh, so that's why we do it...
Reply 282
Jeneewenz
Hey
I've been brought up as a catholic, but i've always had strong beliefs that don't necessarily tie in with my religion.
For instance, theres lots of stuff i don't understand (and i probably have an extremely insufficient amount of knowledge on, sorry) and yeah, i just don't get it. Like, catholicism is supposedly against homosexuality? But if god is a loving God, how can he object to something if people can't help the way they are? Also, if God makes everyone different, doesn't he make them homosexual, so why is it wrong to be this way? Doesn't he love us all?

This isn't the only thing i object to. Every day i just see less and less sense in my religion, and i don't want it to be this way at all. I've never in my mind ever doubted that God exists but over the past few months i've lost a lot of faith and it makes me upset cos i feel kind of lost, and like i used to get comfort from praying and stuff and its not so much the way anymore.
I believe in God & Jesus & The Holy Spirit. Its just the things that come with it, that don't make much sense to me any more :frown: And this is probably going to sound so pathetic but i feel like such a bad person, i'm so ungrateful for what i have and so many have nothing :frown: But I've got so much to be happy for and still find things to moan about!! But recently i haven't been faithful at all and i feel as if God is 'ignoring' me as such OK YEAH I KNOW, that sounds RETARDED. But its the only word i could think to explain it.

Someone please, please, just help explain these things.

This was more about me just getting my feelings out, so thanks in advance. And if you're just gonna give one of those typically sarcastic unhelpful tsr replies, please don't bother!! lol.

Hi, lads,
I'm not a student, I'm not british, I just came to TSR by hazard... and, yes, I'm
a catholic!

nexttime #17> I hope you aren't expecting some balanced response here.
>> True. But, you never know what life is going to bring. Anyway, it's one's job to try
hard.

typiin #14> reading so many "well done, you came into the real world" replies has made me a
bit proud to be British/a TSRian
>> Many or few, that is mostly irrelevant. To whether they're right or wrong. It's
arguments that count.
>> Years ago, or now, somewhere else, the count is opposite. What then?

>>to those who claim to live 'in the real world'.. That's not a big argument.

A word to *rational thinkers:
First, make sure you are not cheating yourself, and you know your answers in advance.
And then, please do answer a couple of questions, like 1) where does the world come from,
(was it made alone, or smthg?), and 2) the miracles of the gospel, are they true or false?
see, for instance, Mc:10,2-16 (http://www.bibliacatolica.com.br/leituras.php).

To Prince Rhyus #13
> Let your feelings flow, explore your feelings freely, try to understand them, and try to
be true with your self, and what your going to be most comfortable with.
It's not a question of being comfortable... but of being honest to oneself.
> I beleive that there is a power that is bigger than us, but I refuse to beleive that it is
in a form of "god".
Does that mean something? What makes you believe in such power'?

Jeneewenz #1>
> get comfort from praying
>> Supposedly, praying is not to get comfort... well, it may, but, not mostly. Rather, it is
asking for, when in need. To a father. Who listens. And gives, if appropriate. All just like
ordinary fathers do with their little kids. - Can i have one chocolate? - Here. - Can i have another? No, this one if for you sister. Or - Not anymore today, this we leave for tomorrow.

> But if god is a loving God, how can he object to something if people can't help the way
they are?
>> -- Hey, even Obama says: 'yes, we can'.
Just because he loves us all, he doesn't want bad things for us. If he didn't care,
there'd be no commandments.
Because men can get bad, can't they? If in doubt, read the news, or history, say XXth century... btw, anyone tired of drunk yet another sat night?

> i haven't been faithful at all and i feel as if God is 'ignoring' me as such
>> Actually, what you say is not new at all:
See the Old Testament, Ex.3:7

Romans,1.28>> And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base
mind and to improper conduct (http://www.bibliacatolica.com.br/08/52/1.php)

See you later...
pina.Love
wow tsr is seriously full of religion haters. :frown:

Why is the girl in the blog you followhttp://wheredidyougetthatfrom.blogspot.com/ so incredibly pretty and just amazing :frown: so jealous.
Reply 284
D-Day
Ohhh, so that's why we do it...

In my defence i came in at 3am this morning after a bit of a boozy evening so i wiill edit that slightly and say why I mock religion :biggrin:
Reply 285
microfatcat

If I believed in a few passages of the Qu'ran, should I have the desire to read it, I'd be choosing to follow two Gods so no, I wouldn't be either :s-smilie: but if it said 'don't kill' and I agreed with that passage, I'd just be sharing a belief that a Muslim holds. It doesn't make me a Muslim.
Its the same God just different texts...
maximusmak
With regards to homosexuality. who ever said it was normal to be gay is actually...gay. I mean, it is against nature to have 2 men together and 2 women together, how will reproduction exist.

You must understand...If you have a rule for 1, you must have a rule for all. If gays are allowed then, production is forbidden, if homosexuality is forbidden then reproduction continues. See what im getting at. Thats why homosexuality is forbidden.

Ont he positive, more gays = more women for us...lol

Okay that was a little bit stupid lol. Okay, gay people don't do a lot to reproduce, and millions of years ago maybe I would be a bit of a homophobe - I'd be like, "get off your arse and make us some more babies, we're all dying out here!!"

Your theory is basically a little bit ****. If homosexuality is allowed, straight people will continue to have babies, I don't see how it is "forbidden" and why we have to have "a rule for all". And more gays = less women for you as well, you can get gay women too you know. How would you like it if someone told you your desires and needs were 'against nature'? That's a horrible thing to say and just not true. You've got a really caveman way of thinking. And I'm a Christian here, you're not doing a lot to protect our image :P
Reply 287
Can I also point out to Trigger and anyone else who thinks I'm dumb that English isn't even my first language so I'm sorry if I used the word "training" in the wrong context or don't write as eloquently as you.
Jeneewenz
HeyI believe in God & Jesus & The Holy Spirit. Its just the things that come with it, that don't make much sense to me any more

There's no reason to loose your faith completely, just because some people have misinterpreted what's been said. I've got to agree with you, I can't see how a loving god could make being gay a sin, then go make some people gay. But that's just what Catholics think. Explore different forms of your religion, and you might find one that makes sense.
Reply 289
Can I also point out to Trigger and anyone else who thinks I'm dumb that English isn't even my first language so I'm sorry if I used the word "training" in the wrong context or don't write as eloquently as you.

You're better at writing than me lol

You've got a really caveman way of thinking. And I'm a Christian here, you're not doing a lot to protect our image :P

This is very true, i think a lot of these "religion haters" wouldn't exist if there werent people like this being really stupid and generally awful people.
Reply 290
nasmith3

:indiff: so find out what the word means before you use it :rolleyes:
Sweenerborg
I can't see how a loving god could make being gay a sin, then go make some people gay. But that's just what Catholics think. Explore different forms of your religion, and you might find one that makes sense.

God loves homosexuals as much as He loves heterosexuals. Catholics don't believe being gay is a sin. You cannot sin by accident. Sin involves a conscious choice. Homosexuals don't choose to be attracted to members of the same sex, and so same sex attraction in not a sin. It does teach that homosexual acts are sinful though, largely for the same reasons as certain heterosexual acts are; for example, the act does not occur within marriage, is not open to new life, etc.
Reply 292
The Gaffa
God loves homosexuals as much as He loves heterosexuals. Catholics don't believe being gay is a sin. You cannot sin by accident. Sin involves a conscious choice. Homosexuals don't choose to be attracted to members of the same sex, and so same sex attraction in not a sin. It does teach that homosexual acts are sinful though, largely for the same reasons as certain heterosexual acts are; for example, the act does not occur within marriage, is not open to new life, etc.

I see so you can be gay but you have to die alone and a virgin. Noice.
Reply 293
microfatcat
I just don't see how that if you are allowed to pick and choose which part of the Bible to believe in, the whole religion should go. So it's not the fact that I can't read, but that you're not seeing my argument that I can pick and choose.

I'm just trying to find out why you think its ok to pick and choose the bits you like. Surely there must be some criterion on which you pick some messages and not others?

This implies that there is some underlying secular morality which you are basing your selections on - and for you, this takes precedence over the explicit word of the Bible.

Do you not see how there is a contradiction between claiming to be a Christian - in which you are saying that the Christian morality trumps everything else, and picking and choosing bit of Christianity based upon some other unconscious moral code?

Whether you are aware of it or not, by picking and choosing, you are saying that there is a superior morality to the Christian message, against which your religion needs to be judged: bits of it pass, and bits of it fail.

Given this fact, why do we need Christianity at all, given that you have just admitted that we already have a superior code of morality.

microfatcat

yes non-Christians can arrive at the conclusion that we shouldn't murder each other, but can you say the same thing 2000 years ago?

yes we could. Civilisation predates Christianity by a considerable degree.

microfatcat

He's leading us onto the right track, I'm not saying he invented the idea of not murdering, don't be ridiculous, nobody is claiming that. I am striving to become more like Jesus, and that involves not stealing, it doesn't matter whether you can arrive at the conclusions without Christianity or not.

This is the thing - "he" is not leading us on the right track, unless you consider genocide, torture and adherence to blind dogma at the expense of human happiness to be the right track. There are far better people to strive to be like than Jesus.

This isn't necessarily the fault of Christianity, you understand, simply that all religions are inherently irrational, closeminded and self-protective, and these things are inevitable.

Clearly we don't need religion to lead us to the good bits, as you admit so why keep it when it does so much more bad than good?
b.ryan123
I admit i inevitably dont know all the details but I was always told that creationisim was a key part of catholic teachings. That God made earth and humans 'all creatures great and small' and so on.

Im geninely interested, what ways are they separated?

As a Catholic you are required to believe a few things about creation.

The universe and everything in it (material and spiritual) was created by God out of nothing. It doesn't mean that everything has always existed as we see it today. For example, you can believe that the universe was created through the Big Bang.

You can believe that various life forms have developed over the course of time under the impetus of God (theistic evoultion).

With regard to human evolution, you can believe that man's body developed from previous life forms (also under the impetus of God), but that the soul is immediately created by God. Adam and Eve were the first two people- i.e. having a human body and an immortal soul.

With regards to the age of the earth, you are required to believe that the earth is of a finite age. You are not required to believe in a 'young earth'.

So yes, you're correct in saying that Catholics are required to believe that God made humans, the earth, and all the creatures on it. However, you need not believe that everything that exists today was created 'instantly and directly' by God (except the human soul)- as Creationism asserts.

More detailed info is here if you want to check it out:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp

Latest

Trending

Trending