The Student Room Group

resitting for med and confused on backup!

So i'm resitting...currently on ABBa...predicted AAA..never got in the first time round, so reapplying with gap year to:
BSMS, liverpool, peninsula, and southampton!
UKcat:625
In gap year planning, to work, get experience, voluntary work and travel. Do you think I stand a good chance of getting in??
Also anyone who's resitting, and applying to these unis, are you saying your a RESIT CANDIDATE in your PERSONAL STATEMENT? Coz i wuda thought that referee stating and pending of results in ucas form is enuf but i rang southampton and lpool up yesterday and they were like yes you have to include it but would they realy screw me over if i didn't? I'm kinda stuck on the whole word limit thing too, so finding it really hard to squeeze in!
Alsoo i am sooo effing stuck on my backup! I am SOOO DEAD SET on medicine, that I don't really know what other degree I would pursue. I don't know bout biomed coz I applied for thhat this year and I didn't end up goin coz i really didn't want to! So like it would be history repeatin itsel-not good!I was thinking Bradford clinical sciences but I don't fancy spending the 3 years at bradford and completeing the degree if i don't get in! I'm better than that! even if i do sound snobby lol i don't care lol..helppppppp

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
^^ LOL YOU MUST BE MY TWIN!! :biggrin:!

Re-sat my A-levels last year. Got AAAc Maths Physics Chemistry (A2) H. Biology (AS).

I've done 1 wk work experience @ a hospital.

I'm about to volunteer @ a nursing home. I'm frustrated because the checks needed to start working there take 2 weeks. By the time I start working there, deadline will have passed (i.e. 21st October). I'm frustrated about how I should put this in my PS. I want to talk as if I had already done it (past tense) but if they can check dates of all ur wrk exps and realise I worked there after the deadline, what would they think O.o ??

I also don't know if I should put my reason for resitting (which is a pretty good 1) in my PS or leaving that to the referee, or not saying I resat at all, all together!!!!???!!!

(Sorry to put my problems onto your problems thread OP :colondollar:)

HELLLPPPP MEEE SOME ONEEEEE!!!!!
Reply 2
Oh and my ukcat was 627.5! :biggrin:! See you are my twin!!!!
johnarcadia

Re-sat my A-levels last year. Got AAAc Maths Physics Chemistry (A2) H. Biology (AS).

I'm about to volunteer @ a nursing home. I'm frustrated because the checks needed to start working there take 2 weeks. By the time I start working there, deadline will have passed (i.e. 21st October). I'm frustrated about how I should put this in my PS. I want to talk as if I had already done it (past tense) but if they can check dates of all ur wrk exps and realise I worked there after the deadline, what would they think O.o ??

I also don't know if I should put my reason for resitting (which is a pretty good 1) in my PS or leaving that to the referee, or not saying I resat at all, all together!!!!???!!!

No, it has to be included in your reference (the reason why you resat/are resitting)
Reply 4
SomeStudent
No, it has to be included in your reference (the reason why you resat/are resitting)

Thanks, it's good to know that atleast.

What about my volunteering situation, shall I talk in my PS as if I did it already? (Because I knowalready what I will be doing, so I can say what I will learn already :P ) What do you think???? And by the time I get an interview (which I pray to God I do lol) it will have been in the past already!!

Kind Regards
johnarcadia
Thanks, it's good to know that atleast.

What about my volunteering situation, shall I talk in my PS as if I did it already? (Because I knowalready what I will be doing, so I can say what I will learn already :P ) What do you think???? And by the time I get an interview (which I pray to God I do lol) it will have been in the past already!!

Kind Regards

Yeah, that's what I would do :biggrin:... Write it in present tense though, as if you started few weeks back and are still continuing the volunteering. This way, you don't have to put the period you were working at the hospital and the unis will think it's a long term volunteering. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Im a resit candidate too. My UKCAT is 622.5. My A'levels were 3 A's and 1 B.

I was thinking of applying to KCL, southampton, st george's and dundee but diunno if im jumping a bit too high.
bluemax
Im a resit candidate too. My UKCAT is 622.5. My A'levels were 3 A's and 1 B.

I was thinking of applying to KCL, southampton, st george's and dundee but diunno if im jumping a bit too high.

umm, i guess you don't know that you cannot apply to st george's and dundee if you're a resit student (even if one with ext. circumstances). Soton and King's are fine with it, although King's require ext. circumstances.
And your UKCAT may be a disadvantage/low(ish) in the eyes of King's uni, but you still got above 600, which is good.

Hope this helps :smile:
If you got any more questions, quote me.
Reply 8
SomeStudent
Yeah, that's what I would do :biggrin:... Write it in present tense though, as if you started few weeks back and are still continuing the volunteering. This way, you don't have to put the period you were working at the hospital and the unis will think it's a long term volunteering. :biggrin:

Lol thanks Somestudent :biggrin:! I will check it's definitely okay and I'll do that.

Also, since you may know more and be able to advise me.. I'm applying to Peninsula, Leeds, Aberdeen and St Andrews. I've checked (calling, emailing) they all say yes I will be considered and should apply, with a reason for resitting being provided. But what does "consider" actually mean? Likeliness of being accepted seems like another thing... can I make them say "YES WE WILL TAKE YOU"???

This isn't the right place to put this but thought I'll copy and paste this here anyway :P! :

My GCSE Grades are A* in Maths, B BB B B in English Language, Double Award Science, Electronics, Geography. C C C C in ICT, German, English Literature, Art.

Comment on me please! Hehe

Kind Regards
johnarcadia
Lol thanks Somestudent :biggrin:! I will check it's definitely okay and I'll do that.

Also, since you may know more and be able to advise me.. I'm applying to Peninsula, Leeds, Aberdeen and St Andrews. I've checked (calling, emailing) they all say yes I will be considered and should apply, with a reason for resitting being provided. But what does "consider" actually mean? Likeliness of being accepted seems like another thing... can I make them say "YES WE WILL TAKE YOU"???

This isn't the right place to put this but thought I'll copy and paste this here anyway :P

Kind Regards

PMmed :biggrin:
Reply 10
SomeStudent
umm, i guess you don't know that you cannot apply to st george's and dundee if you're a resit student (even if one with ext. circumstances). Soton and King's are fine with it, although King's require ext. circumstances.
And your UKCAT may be a disadvantage/low(ish) in the eyes of King's uni, but you still got above 600, which is good.

Hope this helps :smile:
If you got any more questions, quote me.

Well i didnt explain it properly (my bad). Im a reapplicant, not a resit student. I didnt make it last year so im reapplying again this year.

And i have 3 A's and 1 B at A'level so you think ive a chance at Kings?
bluemax
Well i didnt explain it properly (my bad). Im a reapplicant, not a resit student. I didnt make it last year so im reapplying again this year.

And i have 3 A's and 1 B at A'level so you think ive a chance at Kings?

Kings LOVE the UKCAT, so I think you'd be little bit disadvantaged.
However, amazing GCSE grades would help you heaps as it kinda balances with your score. So if you got great GCSE grades, you would be fine.

Edit: Your A-levels are very good!
Reply 12
SomeStudent
Kings LOVE the UKCAT, so I think you'd be little bit disadvantaged.
However, amazing GCSE grades would help you heaps as it kinda balances with your score. So if you got great GCSE grades, you would be fine.

Edit: Your A-levels are very good!

Right. Thanks. And i was thinking of applying to st george's, dundee, sheffield, southampton and nottingham( i still have to narrow down my choices) so can you advise which ones are safe to apply.

PS: Basically need opinion on sheffield and dundee. thanks in advance.
bluemax
Right. Thanks. And i was thinking of applying to st george's, dundee, sheffield, southampton and nottingham( i still have to narrow down my choices) so can you advise which ones are safe to apply.

PS: Basically need opinion on sheffield and dundee. thanks in advance.

As long as you meet those uni's academic and non-academic requirements, you can choose any of those unis. Avoid Soton as they have a UKCAT cut off, I think it was something like 670 last year. I would suggest going to the unis websites as well if you find it hard to decide.
Reply 14
huhhh since when do Soton have a UKcat cut off? I got 625, should I not apply??helpp...n as regards to ps..my teacher shud just say im resitting right? stupid unis..they say i have to write it..wel soton n lpool did but ive never really seen anyone else write it? And also..have all of u got ext. circumstances who are reapplying coz I havent :mmm: I was just genuinely shocked with my A2's..i did rubbish...
AS: AAAA (bio, chem maths and hist)
A2: BBAa
grrr..
Reply 15
and i'm filling out my ucas form..has anybody been to Medsim?and if you have do you know if they're sponsored by anyone like Aim Higher, LEAPS, GOALS, Sutton trust? Or anything like that? Again..confused.lol
Ferero Rocher
huhhh since when do Soton have a UKcat cut off? I got 625, should I not apply??helpp...n as regards to ps..my teacher shud just say im resitting right? stupid unis..they say i have to write it..wel soton n lpool did but ive never really seen anyone else write it? And also..have all of u got ext. circumstances who are reapplying coz I havent :mmm: I was just genuinely shocked with my A2's..i did rubbish...
AS: AAAA (bio, chem maths and hist)
A2: BBAa
grrr..

About the resit thing, you can add it to the reference bit. It's not like the unis are not reading the reference.:p: And they'll see it anyway from you UCAS info, as your A-level grades for 2010 will be "pending".
So what are your plans with this resit thing, are you in 6th form now or are you self-teaching the A-levels and entering the exam as a private candidate?

Also I see that you did AS History. Was it hard? And which exam board did you do? I want to take AS History (self-teach) this year, keep myself busy and on 'study mode'.:biggrin:

Yep, they do but I don't know what score it is.. Guess I'll have to call them on Monday and ask!
Southampton : "The UKCAT score will be used alongside all other information as part of the selection process." A cut-off score has been used in the past".
Here's the link:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

Some unis allow you to apply without extenuating circ. including Soton... Though with Soton if you retake more than 1 A-level and/or GCSE you should have a good reason for that (in other words, have ext. circumstances).
Reply 17
johnarcadia

I'm pretty sure you that you mean this is when the checks will have been through etc but I wanted to make sure you know the deadline is actually the 15th October, not the 21st.
Reply 18
SomeStudent

Also I see that you did AS History. Was it hard? And which exam board did you do? I want to take AS History (self-teach) this year, keep myself busy and on 'study mode'.:biggrin:

I have no idea how this quote thing works so here goes!lol! Thanks for the resit info..I guess I'll have to ring them on Monday. I hope there isn't because I'll be screwed for my choices then!argh!
And history at AS was really good!Rather difficult..like lots of reading and "independant" stuff...are you sure u wana put all that on yourself BY yourself? Are you resitting?
And about these checks? How far do they go to actually do checks? I'm like a sales rep but its under my mums name coz I was underage at the time, lol, but I'm the one who actualy does it?lol. I'm a bit worried now..
Christ, I can hardly read that. This isn't MSN. Lean to type with your fingers not your bluddy chin.

Latest

Trending

Trending