The Student Room Group

Why are women and men both called actors now (UK)?

Women are not actresses, but (female) actors.
For example:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/oct/09/keria-knightley-theatre-west-end

I noticed this a while ago and wanted to know why and when it happened. It might only be a UK thing, because I've noticed in UK newspapers and BBC content. There is still an Oscar for best actress, and iMDB, Roger Ebert etc. still use the word 'actress'.
Anyway, is it part of making language more PC/less sexist/more 'equal'?
Reply 1
yeah i think its a bad attempt at making things equal.
amenhotep
Women are not actresses, but (female) actors.
For example:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/oct/09/keria-knightley-theatre-west-end

I noticed this a while ago and wanted to know why and when it happened. It might only be a UK thing, because I've noticed in UK newspapers and BBC content. There is still an Oscar for best actress, and iMDB, Roger Ebert etc. still use the word 'actress'.
Anyway, is it part of making language more PC/less sexist/more 'equal'?

Probably. :rolleyes:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Reply 3
It's very weird. There's nothing wrong with calling people waiters/waitresses actor/actresses in my opinion. Why would there be anything wrong with it?

I'm not sure why they changed it.
Reply 4
I've always used the word actor for both male and female actors. I think it just makes more sense in the modern world to have one word for both genders, since that's how it is for most other similar things. For example a female doctor is not a doctress. A female banker is not a bankeress. So to me it feels more natural to just call an actor an actor regardless of their gender. I don't think it's really a conscious effort to change the language, just something that's happening naturally.
Psyk
I've always used the word actor for both male and female actors. I think it just makes more sense in the modern world to have one word for both genders, since that's how it is for most other similar things. For example a female doctor is not a doctress. A female banker is not a bankeress. So to me it feels more natural to just call an actor an actor regardless of their gender. I don't think it's really a conscious effort to change the language, just something that's happening naturally.

This.
Reply 6
Does it really matter? I've always called people who act, actors. And stupid people keep going "YOU MEAN ACTRESS". And I'm like, "Oh sorry, did you not get what I meant? Did the sentence completely change context because I did not distinguish to you that Keira Knightly is a female?"
GOSH.
It makes it easier when talking about a group of male and femal actors??
It is simply because serious female thespians don't like the traditional connotation of the word "actress" with prostitution. It isn't particularly new at all.
Because actress is a whole two letters longer than actor. We're just too damn lazy.

:L
Reply 10
Good bloke
It is simply because serious female thespians don't like the traditional connotation of the word "actress" with prostitution. It isn't particularly new at all.

This, and more historical baggage too. For one, at times, women could not legitimately be actors.

Still, quite a few of these gender-differencing terms have fallen out of popular usage, long before what stupid people would identify as the 'era of political correctness', quite simply because they're unnecessary. You never hear of anyone described as an Administratrix anymore, do you? I once used the word 'administratrices' in front of a group of people, who were completely baffled by it.
Because it's completely pointless to take words and make a female version when the other version is fine for everyone. And it makes male the default, which it's not.
Reply 12
Harriet Harmen probably got hold of it, her next step is for actresses to be called leader and men to be called pigs.

May her bowels implode, bless her.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. We don't call female Doctors Doctoresses do we?
Reply 14
No, we call them nurses :wink:

all sexist and out of taste comments made by me are all for comedic purposes and do not represent my views, if any offence occured during the presentation of my pathetic attempt of humor is taken, I will kindly 'listen' and not politley whilst thinking about all available orifice in Megan Fox's body.

Latest

Trending

Trending