The Student Room Group

Considering doing Further Maths

Just started college last month and I am in year 12. Currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and want to study Physics at Uni.

I have heard that Further Maths is very useful when studying Physics at Uni and also helps getting a placement.

Just wanted to know whether it would be too late to start studying Further Maths this year or not. Also, if i were to do it, should i consider dropping a subject in place of it because it would mean i would be doing 5 very demanding subjects. :smile:
I don't think it's too late; I started AS Further Maths straight after my AS exams (near the end of Year 12), and sat the exams in January and the following June.

Since it's only been a month, you might be able to transfer and not have missed too much, but if you were to do this, and you had to drop a subject, I'd drop Biology, since it has the weakest connection to Physics.

:smile:
Reply 2
Not taking into account the workload or timetables or anything, I would say no its definitely not too late. Your right, further maths is really advantageous for studying physics, and as long as you either have supportive teachers, or are generally a good studier, its not hard to catch up at all. If you're given the text books, you will probably be able to read up and teach yourself what you've missed, and considering its only been a month or so, they wouldn't have covered anything majorly complex anyway.
I would jump on the further maths bandwagon as soon as possible!

If you were going to drop anything and you're unsure, biology would probably be the least advantageous to have if you intend to study physics, but to be honest, I think out of chemistry and biology, keep whichever you prefer. If you enjoy something, and you're more likely to do better at it, stick to the one of the two - you're very very unlikely to be rejected from a uni for have biology rather than chemistry or vice-versa.

P.S. Welcome to TSR :smile:
Pottsy123
Just started college last month and I am in year 12. Currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and want to study Physics at Uni.

I have heard that Further Maths is very useful when studying Physics at Uni and also helps getting a placement.

Just wanted to know whether it would be too late to start studying Further Maths this year or not. Also, if i were to do it, should i consider dropping a subject in place of it because it would mean i would be doing 5 very demanding subjects. :smile:

My advice would be drop biology right now and pick up AS further maths...you won't regret it!

There are also benefits to doing further maths as it helps you to get more familiar with solving problems that are not only in maths but also in physics so it's a win-win :yeah:

Latest