The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Wouldn't this be better suited in one of the niche sub-forums? Namely http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=299
Reply 2
fire2burn
Wouldn't this be better suited in one of the niche sub-forums? Namely http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=299

Not really; that forum is dead so the OP is more likely to get replies here.
I used to when I was at school. A group of us visited a nearby care home and went round talking to the residents, listening to their stories and going out with them on walks.
Reply 4
I help the kitchen staff serve hot drinks. It's good because you get to chat with the residents and you meet pretty much everyone who works there. I also take residents outside and chat with them, or read to some of them. It's nice getting to build up relationships with them.
Reply 5
I don't do voluntary work in a care home.
Reply 6
I used to be a care assistant in a care home. The people that volunteered at our home mainly played cards or talked with the more lonely residents in their rooms. Some times they would help with different activities and some of them helped at a stall at the winter/summer fete.
I used to di it during th summer holidays,work included:

Helping them get to the kitchen
Feeding patients
Reading to them
Talking to thm
Setting up breakfast
Reply 8
Yeah, I really enjoy it, I chat to them and play games like scrabble and help run activities to keep them exercised.
Reply 9
No, but I'm going to soon.
How did you all go about getting the voluntary work?
Reply 10
I do :smile:
Its not that bad as I thought it mayy be but its pretty fun and rewarding. I enjoy meeting all the residents and getting to know them. Just having a chat with them is really nice. I help do other things like serving food which is good experience.
Do it. If you don't like it you could always pack it in...
Reply 11
why would anyone wanna do that :confused:
I do, my job is to play Nintendo Wii with the elderly, especially a certain guy called Bob who is mentally and physically challenged.
Reply 13

No, but I'm going to soon.
How did you all go about getting the voluntary work?

Physics, maths, chemistry, biology AS. Potential Medic? :wink:

Contact your local council or youth volunteer unit or just some day care centres.
There is more competition for places due to this economic climate (people volunteer for a good CV etc) but if you show your passionate and try hard enough.

Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 14
Louuu_xx
Physics, maths, chemistry, biology AS. Potential Medic? :wink:

Contact your local council or youth volunteer unit or just some day care centres.
There is more competition for places due to this economic climate (people volunteer for a good CV etc) but if you show your passionate and try hard enough.

Good Luck :biggrin:

I'm thinking so haha :smile:

There's a care home literally across the road from me, could I just go in/ring up and ask if can volunteer?
MoTheMedic
I do, my job is to play Nintendo Wii with the elderly, especially a certain guy called Bob who is mentally and physically challenged.

2 years into my medical degree and I'm probably being paranoid about this (we've had several lectures on the subject), but I hope that's a pseudonym because, y'know, confidentiality and all...
Reply 16
There's a care home literally across the road from me, could I just go in/ring up and ask if can volunteer?

Yep, thats what I did and it seemed to work :biggrin:
quadruple_twist
2 years into my medical degree and I'm probably being paranoid about this (we've had several lectures on the subject), but I hope that's a pseudonym because, y'know, confidentiality and all...

It is, Bob isn't his real name.
Reply 18
becca-x
I'm thinking so haha :smile:

I wrote A letter to the one accross my road a couple of weeks ago and recieved a reply today asking me to ring so they can organise to meet me.

Latest

Trending

Trending