The Student Room Group

Asylum Decision Maker (Home Office)

Has anyone had their interview feedback yet for the EO Decision Makers in Bootle, Liverpool? I had my interview more than three weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything back...

Hoping it goes well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by leem2018
Has anyone had their interview feedback yet for the EO Decision Makers in Bootle, Liverpool? I had my interview more than three weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything back...

Hoping it goes well.

Hi, I applied for the Asylum Decision Maker role and have been invited for an assessment interview. I was curious to know what the assessment consisted of for yourself? I'm having to travel to Liverpool from Scotland so it's a long journey and I'm trying to be prepared as much as I can. Is it simply an interview with a panel, or are the other tests involved?

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated, and best of luck with your interview outcome :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, yeah you sit an assessment first which is around 40 mins long. It’s impossible to prepare for the test as it could literally be on anything. Mine was not related at all to immigration/asylum. After your test you go straight into the interview. The interview is based on the compentencies. Pretty straightforward and the panel were nice too! They put you at ease. My advice is not to spend too much time reading the case study as half of it is not relevant. Make sure you know what they are looking for in the test. In this case, it is making effective decisions so make sure you write all your answers with that in mind. Don’t worry if you don’t finish, they are looking for quality not quantity.I got an email today saying I passed the interview.Hope all goes well.
Reply 3
Hey, yeah you sit an assessment first which is around 40 mins long. It’s impossible to prepare for the test as it could literally be on anything. Mine was not related at all to immigration/asylum. After your test you go straight into the interview. The interview is based on the compentencies. Pretty straightforward and the panel were nice too! They put you at ease. My advice is not to spend too much time reading the case study as half of it is not relevant. Make sure you know what they are looking for in the test. In this case, it is making effective decisions so make sure you write all your answers with that in mind. Don’t worry if you don’t finish, they are looking for quality not quantity.I got an email today saying I passed the interview.Hope all goes well.

Thanks for your detailed reply, and congratulations on getting through. Could you please tell me what did your assessment involved? written test, numerical test, presentation, etc.? your insight and advice is appreciated.
Reply 4
I have an interview in Leeds in May, can I just ask, in the interview portion of the AC were you allowed to take notes in with you?

I've had an interview with DWP before where before the interview they informed me I could take notes. I had left my notes in my car because I hadn't realised I would be allowed them in with me so I wasn't prepared to have them available, don't want to make the same mistake again!
Reply 5
yes you can take notes in, I have them prepared in bullet points for each competency, keep each competency in the star method and it should roll like a short story, keep the situation and task short and really emphasise on the actions and a brief conclusion on the result. always emphasise on what you have done as in I did this I did that and don't say we did this.
Reply 6
I also have an interview in May in leeds
Reply 7

Hi, have you received an start date as of yet? I applied for this role last year and finally passed my clearance so just waiting for an start date, I am guessing I will be starting with all the new recruits so possibly June
Reply 8
Congratulations to those who have passed and good luck to those waiting, received my start date of July x
Hi. What were the questions at the interview? Any strength based or it was just based on competencies?
Reply 10
Original post by Mariamgam
Hi. What were the questions at the interview? Any strength based or it was just based on competencies?

Hi, I applied for an earlier campaign which was recruited through Manpower so my questions may have been slightly different. I was about about the three competencies and also a strength based question about why I want to work in Asylum. When you are invited for the interview they should advise you on what your interview questions will be based on, this may be in the guidance leaflet if they have provided this. Good luck.
Anyone have any updates on this role? Based in NI here
Reply 12
Original post by BelfastMan
Anyone have any updates on this role? Based in NI here

Hi Belfastman,

Not sure if can be of any assistance here as I applied last year, have you applied for a role in Northern Ireland? Have you had the results from your assessment centre yet?

I am due to start my role on 2nd July 2018 in Liverpool but have been told the training is later and based in Southport, I am yet to receive a start date for the training.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chantelle_89
Hi Belfastman,

Not sure if can be of any assistance here as I applied last year, have you applied for a role in Northern Ireland? Have you had the results from your assessment centre yet?

I am due to start my role on 2nd July 2018 in Liverpool but have been told the training is later and based in Southport, I am yet to receive a start date for the training.

Yes I am for a role in Belfast, results have been announced last week and I sent back the checks paperwork same day.

I don't think manpower recruitment occured in NI, so hoping a start date will be sooner rather than later!

Hi,

Congrats on passing

How long after the interview did you find out?

Is there anymore stages after the interview?

Thanks
Georgina
Anyone applied for London posts?
Hi hope your assessment and interview went well, I am going for mine tomorrow’s and would be grateful for any advice on how to best prepare the interviews and test thanks
Original post by ksq
Hi, I applied for the Asylum Decision Maker role and have been invited for an assessment interview. I was curious to know what the assessment consisted of for yourself? I'm having to travel to Liverpool from Scotland so it's a long journey and I'm trying to be prepared as much as I can. Is it simply an interview with a panel, or are the other tests involved?

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated, and best of luck with your interview outcome :smile:

Hi I have mine tomorrow, nervous, how did you get on?
Reply 18
Original post by Sadiecoco
Hi I have mine tomorrow, nervous, how did you get on?

Assessment first, was 1hour and 15 min long, a case study had 10 pages a4 info, had to read and then answer questions, then interview around 10 strength based questions followed by 3 competencies, delivery at pace, managing a quality service and leading and communicating
Original post by bsp
Assessment first, was 1hour and 15 min long, a case study had 10 pages a4 info, had to read and then answer questions, then interview around 10 strength based questions followed by 3 competencies, delivery at pace, managing a quality service and leading and communicating

Thank you for replying, it is much appreciated, I am just preparing now, didn’t realise there would be 10strength based questions, I have prepared 3 x strengths and then why I am applying for the job etc not sure that will be enough now!?!? did they ask about you weaknesses or why you left you last job?
Also the 3 competency questions did they ask can you tell me a time you delivered at pace or a question in relation to that?
Would really appreciate your response, thank you so much
😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending