The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

New Username
Standard...but it's irrelevant now.
Stupid Leicester have rejected me...who needs those fools :mad:
Anyhow, I am glad I got an offer from Soton. It means I don't need to have a gap year.
Is Soton your firm now?

Yeah, most probably. I have an offer for ChemEng at UCL. But I don't really think I'll be going there. Soton is my only Med offer. Sorry about your leicester rejection. On the bright side,,You don't have to take a gap year and you'll progress to the BM5 at soton which is really a good uni and medical school. I'm in a gap year. just wished i'd applied to a foundation course last time round. I really didn't know much about them at the time. I have AAAA grades and a foundation course is all I got my second time applying. Still happy though. Just means it'll take me a year longer:smile:
Ciambottina
Yeah, most probably. I have an offer for ChemEng at UCL. But I don't really think I'll be going there. Soton is my only Med offer. Sorry about your leicester rejection. On the bright side,,You don't have to take a gap year and you'll progress to the BM5 at soton which is really a good uni and medical school. I'm in a gap year. just wished i'd applied to a foundation course last time round. I really didn't know much about them at the time. I have AAAA grades and a foundation course is all I got my second time applying. Still happy though. Just means it'll take me a year longer:smile:

ahh...this is great news. Well done on getting an offer second year round.
It's great that you also have straight A's.
I am also glad that I applied to bm6 if I hadn't I may have been at the prosect of taking a gap year which I don't like the idea of. Medicine is already a long course, I don't want to make it any longer.

For now since you got an offer you can relax...and party hard :wink:
See you there in September!
Ciambottina
congrats on the offer!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=367930376539

join us!!

heard that there will be several open days... anyone going on the 16th/

Thanx :smile: Will join the FB group soon. Do you have any other offers and what were your choices?

Last year my choices were bsms, st george, penninsula and So'ton bm5. I was shortlisted for So'ton but didn't make it.

This year, BSMS, St George, Soton BM5 and BM6 were my choices. I got rejected from BSMS, shortlisted for St George but rejected quite early, so I imagine I was waaaay down the list, I got rejected by So'ton BM5 and an offer for BM6!!

I've been doing this a while xD

How about you?
just wondering if anyone had really good reasons for BM6, i thought i did but obviously not. A lot of people with AAB+ grades seem to have got offers?
If you apply a second time or miss out on yout first year do they seem to let you on BM6 more so than if you apply first time with AAB+ grades.
or have you reasons such as illness etc. which is why you applied?
indie_couture
just wondering if anyone had really good reasons for BM6, i thought i did but obviously not. A lot of people with AAB+ grades seem to have got offers?
If you apply a second time or miss out on yout first year do they seem to let you on BM6 more so than if you apply first time with AAB+ grades.
or have you reasons such as illness etc. which is why you applied?

I am a second attempter though this was my first bm6 application. My reasons for BM6 were the small groups and additional support from tutors etc (something So'ton pride themselves on....) which I felt would help me surpass what I should have been able to achieve at A levels, and also help me succeed in medicine. Also it's a short timetable for the first year thus enabling me to work to support my home life (I live independently) and therefore ease myself into the course.

I have already got ABCC at A level, though was predicted AAAB, and have an offer of CCC (Bio/Chem/Law) which I already have at BCC (my A is in Psych).

What were your reasons for BM6? Have you phoned and asked for some more info?
BethaneyJ
Last year my choices were bsms, st george, penninsula and So'ton bm5. I was shortlisted for So'ton but didn't make it.

This year, BSMS, St George, Soton BM5 and BM6 were my choices. I got rejected from BSMS, shortlisted for St George but rejected quite early, so I imagine I was waaaay down the list, I got rejected by So'ton BM5 and an offer for BM6!!

I've been doing this a while xD

How about you?

My choices for this year were; PMS(rejected after interview), King's EMDP(rejected),Keele(rejected) and Soton BM6(Offer:smile:). So two interviews and two straight rejections. Guess I'll be seeing you at Southampton. When is the open day? And the sheet about vaccinations..Really has me confused. Asks about Hepatitis B and C tests. I don't think I've ever done them. And I don't remember the dates I had the MMR vaccines etc.

Anyone from London going to the course??
Ciambottina
My choices for this year were; PMS(rejected after interview), King's EMDP(rejected),Keele(rejected) and Soton BM6(Offer:smile:). So two interviews and two straight rejections. Guess I'll be seeing you at Southampton. When is the open day? And the sheet about vaccinations..Really has me confused. Asks about Hepatitis B and C tests. I don't think I've ever done them. And I don't remember the dates I had the MMR vaccines etc.

I'm going from Brighton which is kinda close to London!

You need:
A hep b course and after the course you need the antibodies blood test.
This will be done for free by OccHealth at So'ton apparently

You need to have had the test for TB immunity (8 little needles that stab your arm) and if you had no reaction, you need to have had the BCG and it needs to have scarred.
The scar can be checked by a nurse at your gp's and if you haven't had it, the GP can give it to you.

You need to have had 2 MMR jabs in your childhood, which you will be able to find out by ringing your gp and a nurse will look through your records).
If there is no record of you having it, but your mum or dad or someone knows you DID have it, you need a blood test to prove you have immunity. If you haven't had them, go get them for free at the GP.

You need to have HAD chicken pox. If you haven't you need the jab and a blood test to prove it worked. If you are not sure, you need a blood test to check whether you are immune or not.

Optional:
Meningitis C jab
Diptheria/Polio/Tetanus (which you should have had as a child. Your gp will know and be able to give you them if you missed them.

Apparently all these are available free at the university though any you can get done for free at the GP will mean less prodding with needles on your first day!

There should be a letter about the open day in your pack that had the injections list. Mine was green I think. There are a few different open days and you should be invited to one of them. Mine is the 16th ^_^

Epic novel-post is epic so will shut it nao!!! Hope this helps.
Reply 387
I got an offer AND im from london too! :smile: CONGRATS for your offer!
Ciambottina

Yazk

congrats!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=367930376539

You know what to do!
BethaneyJ
I'm going from Brighton which is kinda close to London!

You need:
A hep b course and after the course you need the antibodies blood test.
This will be done for free by OccHealth at So'ton apparently

You need to have had the test for TB immunity (8 little needles that stab your arm) and if you had no reaction, you need to have had the BCG and it needs to have scarred.
The scar can be checked by a nurse at your gp's and if you haven't had it, the GP can give it to you.

You need to have had 2 MMR jabs in your childhood, which you will be able to find out by ringing your gp and a nurse will look through your records).
If there is no record of you having it, but your mum or dad or someone knows you DID have it, you need a blood test to prove you have immunity. If you haven't had them, go get them for free at the GP.

You need to have HAD chicken pox. If you haven't you need the jab and a blood test to prove it worked. If you are not sure, you need a blood test to check whether you are immune or not.

Optional:
Meningitis C jab
Diptheria/Polio/Tetanus (which you should have had as a child. Your gp will know and be able to give you them if you missed them.

Apparently all these are available free at the university though any you can get done for free at the GP will mean less prodding with needles on your first day!

There should be a letter about the open day in your pack that had the injections list. Mine was green I think. There are a few different open days and you should be invited to one of them. Mine is the 16th ^_^

Epic novel-post is epic so will shut it nao!!! Hope this helps.

Thanx. That helped:biggrin: Just gonna go to my GP and have the tests done. Have you applied for accomadtion yet? If so which halls are you applying for?
Yazk

Thanx. I see you have offer from Kings EMDP as well. So are you firming Kings or Soton?
Ciambottina
Thanx. That helped:biggrin: Just gonna go to my GP and have the tests done. Have you applied for accomadtion yet? If so which halls are you applying for?

My GP won't do most of them or any blood tests :frown:

I am applying after my open day on the 16th, but probably Glen Ayre for an en suite! I live on my own (with my partner though) and i don't think i want to share bathroom etc :P
Glen Ayre is more expensive too, but its closest to uni, closest to where we'll be studying, and isn't far from the bus stop to SGH (but apparently we aren't there much anyway).

The only thing bugging me is Wessex is so close to the trains and I will be coming home a lot I hope!!

How about you?
Reply 392
Im not sure :s-smilie: but i would rather move out of london so most likely southampton.
Ciambottina
Thanx. I see you have offer from Kings EMDP as well. So are you firming Kings or Soton?
Reply 393
Beee!!! im already a member of the group its me yasmine lol
Reply 394
Interview question wise, whats the best thing to mention about the course at southampton... I was asked about the 4th year and still dont know what the special thing wwas about the 4th year (other than research) and about the impacts it had.
Hyperbole08
Interview question wise, whats the best thing to mention about the course at southampton... I was asked about the 4th year and still dont know what the special thing wwas about the 4th year (other than research) and about the impacts it had.

hm..that seems like a really though question.
I wasn't asked anything about the bm5 course or rather the bm6 infact. It was mainly focused on my work experience.
Although I have to say mine was a little sciency. They kept prodding me with questions about Alzheimers :yep:
Yazk
Beee!!! im already a member of the group its me yasmine lol

xD sorry! I knew i'd mess it up eventually :-P (and of course your username now makes total sense!!)

:woo: 177 days! :woo:
BethaneyJ
My GP won't do most of them or any blood tests :frown:

I am applying after my open day on the 16th, but probably Glen Ayre for an en suite! I live on my own (with my partner though) and i don't think i want to share bathroom etc :P
Glen Ayre is more expensive too, but its closest to uni, closest to where we'll be studying, and isn't far from the bus stop to SGH (but apparently we aren't there much anyway).

The only thing bugging me is Wessex is so close to the trains and I will be coming home a lot I hope!!

How about you?

Am not sure where I want to apply. I would like to be closer to where we'll be studying but I read on the FB page that Glen Ayre is more expensive.they say a standard room in Glen costs the same as an en suite in Wessex. Overall I'd rather live where most of BM6ers live. Am gonna apply for Acc when I've sent back the forms and stuff, AND when I've replied to my offers. Sometime near the deadline
Hyperbole08

When you complete the 4th year you get a BMedScience degree...

http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm5/

It talks about it on here ^
did anyone get the uni to pay for travel expenses and got an offer? x

Latest

Trending

Trending