The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

That Telegraph article you posted has a frightening headline: ‘Thousands of EU students owe £20 million in unpaid loans but just nine have been taken to court’.

Scary stuff, I can see why you claimed ‘this is where most of the money disappears that is never paid back’.

There’s only one problem- it’s not. Actually, it’s barely a drop in the bucket. A quick look at the National Audit Office’s Report on student loan repayments (2013) shows the SLC has over 46 BILLION in outstanding loans. Of that 46 BILLION, they expect 35% to never be repaid. And that has nothing to do with EU students, it has to do with the fact that 50% of graduates, right here in the UK, will never earn enough to repay their loans in full.

As much as some people like to blame immigrants for the UK’s financial problems, this is a great example of how it’s often just a convenient way to distract from the real problem.

http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/10307-001-Student-loan-repayments_BOOK-ES.pdf

http://www.slc.co.uk/media/789932/slc_annual_report_1314_v6.pdf
Gah, I've had a very cryptic email about the funding I applied to for my masters. They emailed me asking if I'd recieved an earlier email about the scholarship outcome because they were having problems with their system (but I haven't had any other emails from them) and to let them know ASAP if I hadn't, and to remember to reply by 25th August if I had.

That suggests an offer to reply to, surely??? It was well gone 5 by the time I got home and saw it though-so obviously they'll all be out of the office-so I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow (annoyingly I will be at home all day, so cue repeatedly hitting 'refresh' on my emails...) to find out if it means anything. :woo:
Original post by heidigirl
...let them know ASAP if I hadn't, and to remember to reply by 25th August if I had... That suggests an offer to reply to, surely???

That sounds like good news to me!

Something tells me they don't need to worry about you remembering to reply. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xenophile
That sounds like good news to me!

Something tells me they don't need to worry about you remembering to reply. :biggrin:

It does sound good, doesn't it? I'm trying not to get my hopes up until I've had confirmation though, and it's really annoying I didn't get the first email.

I can scrape by (as in, I won't be homeless or starving any time soon, but that's about it) at least to begin with if I don't have funding (no idea where most of the money for the second fees installment would come from though), but I've been so ridiculously stressed about money (I've been obsessing over every hour or two I don't get to make up a full week at work etc; I cried the other week because I had far too few hours and I was so worried I wasn't going to be able to save enough :redface: ) so it would be a massive relief if I have got it.

Fingers crossed they don't keep me hanging and email me back tomorrow.
It does sound good, doesn't it? I'm trying not to get my hopes up until I've had confirmation though, and it's really annoying I didn't get the first email.

I can scrape by (as in, I won't be homeless or starving any time soon, but that's about it) at least to begin with if I don't have funding (no idea where most of the money for the second fees installment would come from though), but I've been so ridiculously stressed about money (I've been obsessing over every hour or two I don't get to make up a full week at work etc; I cried the other week because I had far too few hours and I was so worried I wasn't going to be able to save enough :redface: ) so it would be a massive relief if I have got it.

Fingers crossed they don't keep me hanging and email me back tomorrow.

Crossing everything for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woo! I got it!!!!!!!!! :party:

Fees plus a 5k bursary towards my living costs. I'm SO happy. :biggrin:
Woo! I got it!!!!!!!!! :party:

Fees plus a 5k bursary towards my living costs. I'm SO happy. :biggrin:

Congratulations!!! It must be such a relief. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For UK residents with an NI number... for a Co-Op PCDL did anyone have to provide a copy of their passport?
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Congratulations!!! It must be such a relief. Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. It's a massive surprise to get almost last minute (first lot of fees were due week after next). Wasn't expecting it at all because I missed out on a 1st in my BSc. I reckon I must have got lucky and been one of the last people they awarded it to. :colondollar:
Woo! I got it!!!!!!!!!

Fees plus a 5k bursary towards my living costs. I'm SO happy.

Nice!! :biggrin:

Does this mean you won't need to get a job during the course?
Just got a standard text from Co-Op for my PCDL saying it'll take 15 working days before they can get back to me with an answer. Do you know if they've done it sooner than that? My course starts on the 15th of September ie. 3 days after their 15 working day estimate...and so I have no time to sort out a back up. SO STRESSED!!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xenophile
Nice!! :biggrin:

Does this mean you won't need to get a job during the course?

Yes thank goodness. I'm not sure I'd have coped tbh since I needed to work at least 16 hours a week.

But the bursary will cover my rent (I've already found somewhere very cheap on the assumption I wouldn't have anything, but aside from being a bit tight on space it's great for location, commute etc, so I'm going to stick with it and spend the extra cash buying a few things for my room to make the most of it) plus my travelcard and a little bit more besides. I can easily cover any other outgoings else with my savings (which obviously now won't have to go on fees!).
Just got this text from the Co-Op

"Your application has been provisionally approved. You'll now be sent agreement paperwork which you will need to complete and return in order to proceed."

I'm hoping that means good things and they've agreed to my full amount...
Guys how long did you have to wait from receiving the above text to receiving the actual forms? My course starts on the 15th and am getting super nervous.
Does anyone know of any grants/scholarships that would allow a PhD student from a UK uni (EU national) to study for a while in the US as a visiting PhD student?
Original post by *Corinna*
Does anyone know of any grants/scholarships that would allow a PhD student from a UK uni (EU national) to study for a while in the US as a visiting PhD student?

Frank Knox or Kennedy scholarships?
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Frank Knox or Kennedy scholarships?

yeah I checked those but they are only for British students.
Original post by *Corinna*
yeah I checked those but they are only for British students.

Ah right, sorry!
Anyone know how competitive Graduate Teaching Assistantships are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending