The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Deutsch_Beth
It says something like a plain light coloured wall - so unless its like sunshine yellow or orangey yellow that should be fine.

guessing not bogey yellow then :biggrin:
Reply 61
Did anyone talk specifically about the college they applied to? I initially did but removed it after worrying that it could decrease chances of getting pooled..
Reply 62
Shomm
Did anyone talk specifically about the college they applied to? I initially did but removed it after worrying that it could decrease chances of getting pooled..

This is a good question. I only dared apply because I found Lucy Cavendish, my GCSEs are awful so I thought they might be more used to us oldies failing when we were younger. :P Obviously I wouldn't say that though...
Shomm

No I didn't think it was a good idea for the same reason with pooling. I think they tend to ask you that at interview anyway.

Also, has anyone not sent off their SAQ yet? I keep on getting annoying little reminder emails making me think I'm like the only person on earth who has not sent it off yet. It should be ready this afternoon though.
Reply 64
I've sent my SAQ away and yes I filled in all of the additional parts. They are there for a reason afterall. In my photo I never really smiled, just a natural little smirk as they asked with a white background. It wasn't the best photo of me though :rolleyes:

I don't think talking about your chosen college in the SAQ - provided you don't go OTT - would affect your chances of being successful from the Winter Pool, since the other colleges know that your respective choice was your FIRST choice anyway and something obviously attracted you to it over them. Not mentioning the College a little, could actually make your SAQ - I think - look a little vague, the college might wonder why you are applying to them over the others. So I personally think that honesty is the best policy.
Reply 65
Hmmm...now some people are saying to write something. But the poll has the majority of people not writing one. I'm going Jesus doing Maths. I might mention something about Sports, since I really like sports. Or maybe not...ahh lol I'm tending towards not writing one coz I'm a lazy crap, but I'm just scared that this might be the decidor for my future. If I find out that i didn't get into cambridge because of this Additional PS I'm gonna cry in the corner. lol
Reply 66
Deutsch_Beth
No I didn't think it was a good idea for the same reason with pooling. I think they tend to ask you that at interview anyway.

Also, has anyone not sent off their SAQ yet? I keep on getting annoying little reminder emails making me think I'm like the only person on earth who has not sent it off yet. It should be ready this afternoon though.

Same, and I don't plan on sending it off till at least wednesday. God knows how many emails they will have sent me by then :p:
Hmmm...now some people are saying to write something.

True, but this is the blind leading the blind. They definitely won't be taking any account of your sporting activities, and certainly won't appreciate reading more about them than was in your original PS. To write in this way demonstrates that you don't have a clue what is useful and relevant; so don't.

If in any doubt whether you have something additional that is useful and relevant you'd be well advised just to abstain.
Hmmm...now some people are saying to write something. But the poll has the majority of people not writing one. I'm going Jesus doing Maths. I might mention something about Sports, since I really like sports. Or maybe not...ahh lol I'm tending towards not writing one coz I'm a lazy crap, but I'm just scared that this might be the decidor for my future. If I find out that i didn't get into cambridge because of this Additional PS I'm gonna cry in the corner. lol

if you dont have anything worthwhile about the course to add...leave it empty!
Indeedy. Only reason I wrote something was because I had to be abit ambiguous on my PS about which language i wanted to start, so i took the opp to explain why russian specifically. I wouldnt have put anything otherwise.
Reply 70
Good Luck with your applications everyone!
Reply 71
I'm going against the advice from everyone at school, and not writing one. Just to double check, it definitely won't hinder my application? Also my teacher said the extra statement would 'guide' my interview, is this true, or is she making things up? I'm applying for maths if that's relevant.
Reply 72
blap
I'm going against the advice from everyone at school, and not writing one. Just to double check, it definitely won't hinder my application? Also my teacher said the extra statement would 'guide' my interview, is this true, or is she making things up? I'm applying for maths if that's relevant.

Hi Blap :smile:

The Uni will base its decision mainly on your academic performance and the PS - so really its up too you. If like me you feel you have something meaningful to say related to your application then go ahead. The worst thing you could do is probably just 'say' something. That's pointless, what it shows is that you are not taking your application seriously. So - I know its CHEESY - but go with your 'heart' :wink:
Reply 73
blap

If they want something to guide your interview they can just use your PS. Though I thought for Maths the interview would be more about Maths (solving problems etc) than why you want to go to Cambridge or what. :p:
I found it a little bit difficult writing my PS.. I had to be deliberately, but judiciously vague and cover hella ground since I'm applying for PPS at Cambridge and an array of other courses at other universities (like Pol. & Philos./Pol.& Sociology etc.)

I feel like I should mention how I'm keen (haha there goes the PS buzzword of the century) to study the tripos because I'm really interested in all three subjects... Or maybe mention something about the course structure in comparison to other courses I've applied for...?

AH MAN. Any tips?

Also any other PPS applicants lurkin' this thread? Hollaaaa.
Reply 75
HELP ME TSR!!

My brother is applying for electronic engineering and he doesn't really have anything worthwhile to add into the extra sections, but has added stuff anyway.

In the additional personal statement he has written about how Cambridge is "the pinnacle of higher education" and how going there will encourage him to work harder than if he were somewhere else.
This seems a bit silly to me; of course they know it is a very good university, and the bit about him working harder because he is there kind of makes him look not that dedicated to his subject - surely if he really loved electronic engineering he would do his best wherever he was at?

He has also repeated stuff from his PS in the section about keeping up interest in the subject (books he's read, summer schools etc). Nothing new was added.

I think he should just leave these sections blank but he won't listen to me :s-smilie:
Reply 76
clarehistory101
I found it a little bit difficult writing my PS.. I had to be deliberately, but judiciously vague and cover hella ground since I'm applying for PPS at Cambridge and an array of other courses at other universities (like Pol. & Philos./Pol.& Sociology etc.)

I feel like I should mention how I'm keen (haha there goes the PS buzzword of the century) to study the tripos because I'm really interested in all three subjects... Or maybe mention something about the course structure in comparison to other courses I've applied for...?

AH MAN. Any tips?

Also any other PPS applicants lurkin' this thread? Hollaaaa.

Hi

I don't know about "keen", I think there are less hackyned words. Are there any particular elements of the course you look forward too?
Reply 77
WILL send it tomorrow! :smile:
YAY!
ily_em
HELP ME TSR!!

My brother is applying for electronic engineering and he doesn't really have anything worthwhile to add into the extra sections, but has added stuff anyway.

In the additional personal statement he has written about how Cambridge is "the pinnacle of higher education" and how going there will encourage him to work harder than if he were somewhere else.
This seems a bit silly to me; of course they know it is a very good university, and the bit about him working harder because he is there kind of makes him look not that dedicated to his subject - surely if he really loved electronic engineering he would do his best wherever he was at?

He has also repeated stuff from his PS in the section about keeping up interest in the subject (books he's read, summer schools etc). Nothing new was added.

I think he should just leave these sections blank but he won't listen to me :s-smilie:

You are quite right; he is not being sensible.
Reply 79
Good bloke
You are quite right; he is not being sensible.

You seem adamantly against additional personal statements GB! :p:

It may be entirely unnecessary for ily's brother to be writing unneeded comments and repeating his PS but surely it won't harm his application, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending