The Student Room Group

Will I get into university even if I’m late everyday for secondary school?

I’m y7 and in the UK and my sister, brother and sometimes my mum makes me late for school everyday and it gets me stressed out but now I’m wondering if my late marks will mean university won’t except me and now I’m really scared
Hiya Yeah, you will still get in! You just need the grades, and if you’re required an interview to pass the interview. Don’t be worrying. Wat u do in yr 7 won’t rlly affect much
Original post by ebyrne2036
Hiya Yeah, you will still get in! You just need the grades, and if you’re required an interview to pass the interview. Don’t be worrying. Wat u do in yr 7 won’t rlly affect much
prsom
There's no 'permanent record' that's passed along with your application. Only the content of your written reference.

In my entire time in admissions, I've seen 2 genuinely bad references. Both people still got an offer.

So even if it' so bad that a ref has to mention it, it is very, very unlikely to mak any difference whatsoever.
It's perhaps also worth mentioning in addition to what's already been written that, strictly speaking, it's your parents who have the responsibility of ensuring that you attend school. As much as it can be noted that you are regularly late, if it was to be taken further by the school (and it won't necessarily be), it's more an issue that will be directed at your parents rather than you. You don't have anything to worry about.
Reply 5
No it shouldn't

You sound to be one determined guy and if you can hold onto that motivation you will go far. Frustrating as it is you cannot choose your parents or your siblings and some matters are out of your control. The stress created by trying to get everyone out of the door is palpable, and I can only imagine the chaos going on.

Sometimes the only antidote to this is to be super efficient in all of your preparations. Be determined to work your socks off to get where ever you want to be (never lose that desire to win) and then zone out on matters you cannot control until you get through the school gates.

Your circumstances regarding your family are unknown. I would have a chat to one of your tutors or head of year and talk to them about your concerns, about the stress you feel over the lack the family focus on time keeping. Research all options to get to school. Can you get a lift or travel earlier with another friend? Can you have a pack up breakfast ready to go? Can you cycle, can you make your own way to school?

On a positive note make a few notes now of how you deal with this timeliness issue for use later on creating your pending personal statement. I am sure it would be a striking and interesting read related to a very common problem experienced by some families. You can document how you overcame the difficulties you faced and still maintained your enthusiasm and hard work ethic to want to succeed.

Good luck
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending