The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well really, if you want to be a vet, there are no other alternative careers that are similar, there's other things your can do, like vet nursing, animal care/management etc, but if you actually want to be a vet these are never going to be good enough. I lot of people have to apply twice, maybe three times before getting a place at vet school, so if you really want it, buck up your ideas and go for it again.
Reply 2
As tigercallie says. Why don't you think you'll get in? Your grades? Lack of work experience?
Reply 3
Thanks dude, I was thinking about that, I just dunno if I can afford to not go straight away :s Thankyou for your support though, it's nice to know other people are still getting in on a second and third attempt :smile:
Reply 4
Both! I mean, my grades are okay, I've got solid Bs across the board but that's not what they ask for and I've only got 3 weeks work exp. though I've got some more lined up. I dunno, I'm a bit terrified of failure
to be honest thats really not looking that good. Most applicants will have AAB, though i think BBB offers have been given out in rare cases, but i think these offers are to people with tonnes of work experience. With only three weeks you cant even cover the variety of experience necessary. Where did you do you experience, and what uni's have you applied to?

Liverpool ask for a minimum of ten??? weeks work experience, and i think thats a sensible amount to aim for. This should include small animal, large animal, equine, kennels, exotic, lambing, dairy, generally as much variety as possibly.

You say you cant afford not to go first time round, but just work for a year and even try and save some, a lot of people have to do it, and if you're going to give up on veterinary at this stage then maybe you should consider if it really is the right career for you? Im not saying its not, but put some thought into because its a big decision
Oopsiedoo
Thanks dude, I was thinking about that, I just dunno if I can afford to not go straight away :s

It's significantly more expensive applying as a graduate. The cheapest option is to apply as an undergrad, even if it means taking a year out and reapplying a couple of times.

Oopsiedoo
Both! I mean, my grades are okay, I've got solid Bs across the board but that's not what they ask for

Could you not resit modules or final year exams to improve your grades? That's pretty normal these days.

People being made BBB offers is not unheard of but you need to stand out in other ways if your grades aren't going to do it for you.

Oopsiedoo
I've only got 3 weeks work exp. though I've got some more lined up.

You've got to get significantly more (especially when you consider your grades).

Most places unofficially and/or officially want a minimum of around 2 weeks veterinary experience (ideally large and small animal), a couple of weeks lambing/dairy, a week or so kennels/cattery and perhaps another week or so at a stables - MINIMUM. Aim to meet the Liverpool requirements at the very least.

Oopsiedoo
I dunno, I'm a bit terrified of failure

If you're terrified of failure you'd never go anywhere or do anything. If it's what you want do what is necessary (ie; improve your grades, get more work exp, start your D of E gold, etc) and go for it.
Reply 7
Wait and see how your application goes...might as well since you've sent it!
I wouldnt worry too much about work experience for now....there are people here that have only got 2 weeks in a small animal vets......
But obviously if it doesnt work out...take a gap year, LOTS more work exp, resit and reapply :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks guys, I appreciate it, you must see where I'm coming from with my worries considering my exp. and grades. The grades are a problem, I am resitting a lot of modules in January but after that I have no more chances as the spec is changing. I think it would be a good idea to have a year out, if anyone can think of anything else, let me know xxx
Reply 9
Basically you need to show your academic ability with your grades and your commitment/interest/understanding of the vet profession from your work experience. Whilst you might get away with lacking in one area, you are low on experience and grades. So basically you need to pull them both up next year if you are reapplying :smile:

What are your predicted grades? What unis have you applied for this year? What work experience have you got?

I would concentrate on your grades now, you really need to try and get AAB. Don't worry about work experience etc, just focus on the grades. Then, if you end up taking a gap year, you can fill it with work experience then. A gap year isnt the end of the world, if anything it will help finanically as you can earn for a year.
Reply 10
blahhh

I wouldnt worry too much about work experience for now....there are people here that have only got 2 weeks in a small animal vets......

Maybe there are a few with just 2 weeks but not many to be fair most applicants will have a lot more then this, a lot more.
If you have only got this year to get your grades make sure you get them this year and then take a Gap year and get your work experience up to scratch if you really want to be a vet:smile:. You might still have a shot with RVC this year as they only ask for about 2 weeks but that is the minimum so.....:unsure:
Reply 11
Northern
Maybe there are a few with just 2 weeks but not many to be fair most applicants will have a lot more then this, a lot more

You'll find out when you get to vet school :wink: you will be surprised
Reply 12
Hmm at RVC i could see quite a few people with 2 weeks since it seems to focus more on academic achievement then anything else (and interview obviously like everywhere). Not sure about rest of vet schools though, at Cambridge maybe a similar sort of thing, everywhere else seems to be very work exp focused or am i wrong as usual? ^^
Reply 13
Northern
Hmm at RVC i could see quite a few people with 2 weeks since it seems to focus more on academic achievement then anything else (and interview obviously like everywhere). Not sure about rest of vet schools though, at Cambridge maybe a similar sort of thing, everywhere else seems to be very work exp focused or am i wrong as usual? ^^

It varies all over the place! :yep:
There will never be a right or wrong answer....it all depends on everything at the same time! :biggrin: Like BMAT score, interview score, work exp, PS etc etc for all I know the people with little work exp could have got exceptionally high BMAT scores and blew the interviewers away at interview!

I on the other hand....had an average BMAT, not the bestest A levels (was in the process of resitting) an OK interview....plus 6 years of hardcore work exp :p:
Reply 14
Sounds about right to me have to kind of average out as being a good candidate making up for your weaknesses with your strengths.:yep:
Reply 15
Northern
Sounds about right to me have to kind of average out as being a good candidate making up for your weaknesses with your strengths.:yep:

This:smile:. Absolutely terrified about my interview skills though(if I got one!), they've never been great :frown:.
Reply 16
Emzzzz:)x
This:smile:. Absolutely terrified about my interview skills though(if I got one!), they've never been great :frown:.

Trust me, I was the same before I had my interviews (I was always quite quiet and didn't like to speak unless I was certain of what I was talking about lol). But I knew that it was such an important day that I put a lot of thought and enthusiasm into my communication skills and managed to get through it. :yep:
I don't know if it's just me, but the motivation to get into vet med sort of cancelled out the nerves and everything.
Good luck anyway. :biggrin:
read a few books, get some scalpels and then find an exceptionally good lawyer... Go freelance. Why must everything be regulated. Command your own destiny.
Interviews were the easy bit for me. I actually thought they were quite fun! Talking to people about the subject I adored for 20 minutes without them yawning are passing out was brillient!

My advice is:

* Work experience - Varied and >>2 weeks
* AAB in Chem, bio and something else (preferably math or physics)

xxx
Reply 19
Thanks guys, you're all so helpful. Guess I'm just gonna work my butt off and keep my fingers crossed :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending