The Student Room Group
Reply 1
DarkWarrior
Hey,
I can't make the decisions between the 3. I would prefer Edinburgh, but the Economics course in an MA, and I would prefer a BSc.

The leagues tables show the other 2 in very similar positions, so could I ask which one has the better Economics reputation and student life?

I've already sent off my UCAS, but only have a few days left to decide.

Thanks

MA scotland = regular BSc
Reply 2
And Edinburgh is not a safety uni if you're looking for one like Birm/Soton
Birmingham ftw :awesome: (is not at all biased)
Reply 4
TomasK
And Edinburgh is not a safety uni if you're looking for one like Birm/Soton

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well, and Edinburgh is the best known, but sometimes Birmingham and Southampton does better in the league tables.
Reply 5
emmielociraptor
Birmingham ftw :awesome: (is not at all biased)

Could you give me a few reasons why?
I do have other universites in mind, Loughborough, Leicester, Cardiff and East Anglia
I'm sorry did someone just say that an MA in Scotland equals a Bsc in the civilised world. I think you better check your facts out mate before you offend ant other countries.
Reply 7
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I'm sorry did someone just say that an MA in Scotland equals a Bsc in the civilised world. I think you better check your facts out mate before you offend ant other countries.

There was the option of MA and BSc at St Andrews and I picked the BSc, because I prefer the Economics with more maths.
I don't really understand what you mean, I'm sorry if I offended your country, Scotland is indeed a nice place.
DarkWarrior
Could you give me a few reasons why?
I do have other universites in mind, Loughborough, Leicester, Cardiff and East Anglia

Nothing related to your course dilemma I'm afraid but as a current student I can tell you it is a wonderful place :smile:
Reply 9
DarkWarrior
There was the option of MA and BSc at St Andrews and I picked the BSc, because I prefer the Economics with more maths.
I don't really understand what you mean, I'm sorry if I offended your country, Scotland is indeed a nice place.

MA's in scotland do not indicate no maths, all degrees at unis in scotland are MA due to tradition, even maths degrees are MA
Reply 10
Have you visited them? Have you thought about course content? What about atmosphere?

I chose Southampton based on it being in the south (so location/geography) and also based on the fact more advanced econometrics is covered (so course content).

I did, however, when applying, think a lot about whether I should opt for Birmingham over Southampton. Do I regret my choice now? I can't really say I do since I'm not there and don't know what it would be like had I gone. Though I think I'd have preferred being in the city of Birmingham than the 'town' of Southampton.

All I'll say is that the department at Southampton is highly regarded, the lecturers are friendly and always approachable, and additionally, if your interests lie within macroeconomics or econometrics, then this would be a good department (since the course has a lot of focus on these two areas). Microeconomics, while covered, seems to be less mathematical and less rigorous than elsewhere.
Reply 11
neomilan
MA scotland = regular BSc

I think it's best to say that MA Scotland = English undergraduate BA/BSc. It's not necessarily equivalent to a BSc, and could be a BA (which is very relevant when discussing economics courses).
Reply 12
.ACS.
Have you visited them? Have you thought about course content? What about atmosphere?

I chose Southampton based on it being in the south (so location/geography) and also based on the fact more advanced econometrics is covered (so course content).

I did, however, when applying, think a lot about whether I should opt for Birmingham over Southampton. Do I regret my choice now? I can't really say I do since I'm not there and don't know what it would be like had I gone. Though I think I'd have preferred being in the city of Birmingham than the 'town' of Southampton.

All I'll say is that the department at Southampton is highly regarded, the lecturers are friendly and always approachable, and additionally, if your interests lie within macroeconomics or econometrics, then this would be a good department (since the course has a lot of focus on these two areas). Microeconomics, while covered, seems to be less
mathematical and less rigorous than elsewhere.

Well, if you're a Tory Southampton is much more your type of place than Birmingham.
Reply 13
DarkWarrior
Hey,
I can't make the decisions between the 3. I would prefer Edinburgh, but the Economics course in an MA, and I would prefer a BSc.

The leagues tables show the other 2 in very similar positions, so could I ask which one has the better Economics reputation and student life?

I've already sent off my UCAS, but only have a few days left to decide.

Thanks

Context is everything here. i.e. Edinburgh are much harder to get offers from than the other 2.
What are your other 4 unis?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?
What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your GCSE grades?
Reply 14
Paulwhy
Context is everything here. i.e. Edinburgh are much harder to get offers from than the other 2.
What are your other 4 unis?
What are your A2 subjects and predicted grades?
What are your AS subjects and actual grades?
What are your GCSE grades?

I think I decided on Birmingham, my other ones were York, Bristol, St Andrews, and Cambridge(just applying, not expecting much, school recommended me)
A2(predictions): Maths-A, Economics-A, Physics-A/B, Geography-A, Chinese-A, Further Maths AS-A
AS: Maths-A, Economics-B, Physics-B, Chinese-B, Geography-incomplete
GCSEs: 1A*, 4As, 4Bs, 1C, 1D
Feel really gutted about the AS and GCSEs, lack of revision and personal reasons, I'm going to really step it up at A2, not too bothered about 5 rejections, would prefer a gap year then go for 2011 entry.
Reply 15
DarkWarrior
I think I decided on Birmingham, my other ones were York, Bristol, St Andrews, and Cambridge(just applying, not expecting much, school recommended me)
A2(predictions): Maths-A, Economics-A, Physics-A/B, Geography-A, Chinese-A, Further Maths AS-A
AS: Maths-A, Economics-B, Physics-B, Chinese-B, Geography-incomplete
GCSEs: 1A*, 4As, 4Bs, 1C, 1D
Feel really gutted about the AS and GCSEs, lack of revision and personal reasons, I'm going to really step it up at A2, not too bothered about 5 rejections, would prefer a gap year then go for 2011 entry.

I don't see either York or Birmingham rejecting you.
Are the factors that caused you to under perform at GCSE and AS level likely to re-occur at uni?
Reply 16
Paulwhy
I don't see either York or Birmingham rejecting you.
Are the factors that caused you to under perform at GCSE and AS level likely to re-occur at uni?

No, they shouldn't.
May I ask how are my chances for Cambridge, St Andrews and Bristol?
My Bs in Chinese and Economics were a mark and 6 marks off an A.
Does doing 5 A Levels + 1 AS from a state school help my application? Because my teachers are telling me to drop at least 1, so I could get better grades and there are timetable clashes, but I just don't want to.
Reply 17
DarkWarrior
No, they shouldn't.
May I ask how are my chances for Cambridge, St Andrews and Bristol?

Critical if they accept that your reasons for moderate AS and GCSE grades are:
i)strong
ii)Historical

By top 11 uni standards:
Weaknesses
i)Only 1 GCSE A*
ii)only 1 AS grade A
iii)abbb^ at AS

Neutral
i)AS FM

Strengths
i) 6 AS-levels (but moderate grades)
ii) 5 A-levels (but predicted grades of questionable accuracy)

So I think a bit of a chance with St Andrews. Bristol and Cambridge look long shots to me.

DarkWarrior
My Bs in Chinese and Economics were a mark and 6 marks off an A.

How strong are the marks in Maths?

DarkWarrior
Does doing 5 A Levels + 1 AS from a state school help my application? Because my teachers are telling me to drop at least 1, so I could get better grades and there are timetable clashes, but I just don't want to.

Well 5 A-levels plus a further AS is a lot.
And missing classes will make things worse.
So I agree with your teachers that your load is too high.

Latest

Trending

Trending