The Student Room Group

St John's Ambulance volunteering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ballerinabetty
i volunteer at st johns ambulance and i am applying for medicine. i have found it really healpful and it has helpped me learn a lot of basic healthcare.
you can pretty much do what you want when volunteering there you can be a first aider or even work in admit its pretty much up to you. however you need to be trainned before they can send you out on the field.
but i would say go for, i love it.

Okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 21
Explorer Dora
That's pretty rubbish. Which St John 'county' are you in?

London. If that counts as a county. I think it's just because some volunteers have work commitments.
Just to add my experience in, I sent off an enquiry form on the website in May 2008, was contacted by the Divisional Officer a few weeks later, went along to a meeting in June and was a full member (the longest part was waiting for the CRB to come back) by August, I was then put on a First Aid at Work course in October, as before that I had to be on duty as an observer, rather than a first aider.

Since joining I've been able to not only take part in small duties, but also V festival, as well as providing first aid cover at Brighton Pride (out of county, I arranged it with my superintendent/the person in sussex organising it so that I was able to go). I'm also working on our division's public facing website, so there are roles in St John suited to everybody, even if they don't want to do first aid!

Witty Username

p.s. It's 'St. John Ambulance' (Quite a few people within the organisation get a bit funny when people add the 's' on....)

p.p.s. It's 'St John Ambulance', without the . (one of the downsides of working on public facing content is you have to memorise the bleeding CI guidelines :P)
Explorer Dora
Well I'm in St John in two counties, so it varies. West Mids is exceptionally organised, but often thinks too highly of itself. Plus there's a hell of a lot of internal politics which can get very bitchy.

Lincolnshire are my other county, and they are lovely. Don't know about the organisational side so much as I tend to base myself in West Mids, but I love going on duty there. And the people are fantastic

How about you?

I'm in London, where there's also a lot of politics and generally it does take quite a while to get things organised. Just in a normal adult division at the moment but looking to join a LINKS unit next year when I finally get to Uni- can't wait!

I love the people in my division, we've known each other so long we're like family and I know quite a few people in our region of London. I really enjoy the bigger London duties though, it sounds so cliche but it is fun to go out and meet new people and make friends :biggrin:
chriscpritchard

p.p.s. It's 'St John Ambulance', without the . (one of the downsides of working on public facing content is you have to memorise the bleeding CI guidelines :P)

Oops! My bad... :p:
Witty Username
I'm in London, where there's also a lot of politics and generally it does take quite a while to get things organised. Just in a normal adult division at the moment but looking to join a LINKS unit next year when I finally get to Uni- can't wait!

I love the people in my division, we've known each other so long we're like family and I know quite a few people in our region of London. I really enjoy the bigger London duties though, it sounds so cliche but it is fun to go out and meet new people and make friends :biggrin:

I love London duties! I come down for the Marathon every year, it's so fun! LINKS can be great or can be awful, depending on your luck, I think. My experience was great at first, but I now avoid LINKS somewhat as I get a lot more out of my adult devision.
chriscpritchard

You have to love the corporate image guidelines! St John is so pedantic!
Reply 27
What is LINKS exactly?
Scrubby
What is LINKS exactly?

LINKS is basically St John in university, it's structured in a more democratic way (to please the student unions), but it's pretty much the same thing... though when I go to uni I'll probably go to an adult division in the area.
Explorer Dora
I love London duties! I come down for the Marathon every year, it's so fun! LINKS can be great or can be awful, depending on your luck, I think. My experience was great at first, but I now avoid LINKS somewhat as I get a lot more out of my adult devision.

My sole reason for wanting to stay in London next year is the duties! Apart from that, I'd love to go to all 5 of my choices equally.
Ahhhh the Marathon was incredible this year, dreadful weather if you happened to be running it though!
I'm quite looking forward to LINKS, it'll be nice to be around a few more Johnnies my age for once, not that I don't love the ones in my division!
Which LINKS were you in? (if you don't mind me asking!)
Witty Username
My sole reason for wanting to stay in London next year is the duties! Apart from that, I'd love to go to all 5 of my choices equally.
Ahhhh the Marathon was incredible this year, dreadful weather if you happened to be running it though!
I'm quite looking forward to LINKS, it'll be nice to be around a few more Johnnies my age for once, not that I don't love the ones in my division!
Which LINKS were you in? (if you don't mind me asking!)

I was in Warwick LINKS. It's a pretty well run unit, or at least it was, but it suffers from a lot of internal politics.

Which universities have you applied to, if you don't mind me asking? I know quite a few LINKS units via the National LINKS conference so I might have some contacts in them.

It is good being with people your own age, but you do massively suffer from being in "youth". A lot of adult divisions won't recognise you, or will treat you like cadets, which is infuritating. It's really irritating going to an event and having to say "Yes, I am a real PTA and yes, I am qualified to be in that Ambulance!" Grrr! It really annoys me. That was part of the reason why I left LINKS to be honest.

And you can probably still go to London duties. I still go to the duties I want to do in my home county, and you can often go to out-of-county events if you ask the right people. Definately go back to the Marathon!
chriscpritchard
LINKS is basically St John in university, it's structured in a more democratic way (to please the student unions), but it's pretty much the same thing... though when I go to uni I'll probably go to an adult division in the area.

That's what I do. At first, I went to just my LINKS unit, and then gradually I started going to LINKS and an adult division. Now, I pretty much don't have anything to do with LINKS, even though I am technically a member. I think you get more out of adult units if you are serious about doing actual first aid, as opposed to just wanting the social aspects.

Just to add some more information about LINKS, it is the student branch of St John. It technically comes under the youth section, which means it benefits from all the youth participation events (Duke of Edinburgh, the Amalfi award etc etc) Anyone who is a student can join though, which causes some very odd contradictions which they are constantly trying to find a way to solve. You can be a member of LINKS and an adult unit at the same time though, which I think many people find eases the problems of being "old" in LINKS.

Unlike the traditional Divisional Superintendant, DO and officer structure of St John, LINKS is unranked. There is a lot of complication with the fact that in the majority of universities, it is also a society, which gives it a very unusal structure, particularly in terms of finance. On the whole, the society is run by an annually elected committee of students, cosisting of a Chair (President), Treasurer, Secretary, and usually someone responsible for Operations, someone responsible for Training, a webmaster and a few other positions. Anyone can stand for these positions in most LINKS units. Personally, I have been secretary and events-coordinator (effectively responsible for the weekly training at meetings) and I have dabbled in Ops.

LINKS avoids a lot of the usual problems that come with rank, but it is also often treated as inferior by adult units. It's a good structure though, all things considered, and definately worth investigating.
Explorer Dora
I was in Warwick LINKS. It's a pretty well run unit, or at least it was, but it suffers from a lot of internal politics.

Which universities have you applied to, if you don't mind me asking? I know quite a few LINKS units via the National LINKS conference so I might have some contacts in them.

It is good being with people your own age, but you do massively suffer from being in "youth". A lot of adult divisions won't recognise you, or will treat you like cadets, which is infuritating. It's really irritating going to an event and having to say "Yes, I am a real PTA and yes, I am qualified to be in that Ambulance!" Grrr! It really annoys me. That was part of the reason why I left LINKS to be honest.

And you can probably still go to London duties. I still go to the duties I want to do in my home county, and you can often go to out-of-county events if you ask the right people. definitely go back to the Marathon!

UCL, Bristol, Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester (though I haven't actually got round to sending off my application but it's almost finished!)
I know UCL hasn't got its own unit so I'd have to join ULU, but I don't know too much about the other unis units, other than they exist!

There is a fair bit of snobbery about LINKS members, it's a shame as most are helpful and a joy to be around. I have had the odd bad experience with a LINKS member but then I could say that about the adults and cadets too! I know someone currently in Warwick LINKS and I think they were possibly the best member of LINKS I've met so far :yes:

I know I can, it's just a bit of a trek! Still I guess I just have to wait and see where the future takes me :smile:
Ah, who do you know? Might have to tell me their exec position if they have one, I guess? There are mostly a good bunch, so I'm glad to hear you've met someone nice.

Birmingham LINKS I know very well, and I've been on duty with ULU LINKS or whatever they call themselves these days. Don't know much about the others though, but I'm sure they'll be a great bunch.
Explorer Dora
Ah, who do you know? Might have to tell me their exec position if they have one, I guess? There are mostly a good bunch, so I'm glad to hear you've met someone nice.

Birmingham LINKS I know very well, and I've been on duty with ULU LINKS or whatever they call themselves these days. Don't know much about the others though, but I'm sure they'll be a great bunch.

I shall PM you their name, sorry to be secretive just seems a little weird to be throwing names around on the internet!

I know a fair few in the different London Unis, which makes sense as we've met through London duties, but I also know some people from further away like Birmingham and Newcastle. I was genuinely shocked at the Marathon about just how far some Johnnies travel to get there!
Witty Username
I shall PM you their name, sorry to be secretive just seems a little weird to be throwing names around on the internet!

I know a fair few in the different London Unis, which makes sense as we've met through London duties, but I also know some people from further away like Birmingham and Newcastle. I was genuinely shocked at the Marathon about just how far some Johnnies travel to get there!

We set off at like 3am every year! I usually sleep through the journey though thank god! Don't know what I would do if it was my turn to drive!
Reply 36
Hey Explorer Dora :smile: You seem to be a great source, so I'll come with my question to you. I am looking to become a volunteer for the St. John Ambulance, however I've just found out that as I am under 18 I would need to join as a cadet. The problem is that I have recently left the army cadets, as I did not feel it was in accord with my future career aspirations - I would like to read medicine or neuroscience - also I felt it was time consuming, and so not worth continuing. I greatly enjoyed my time as a cadet, but not at the detriment of my studies. So if I joined St. John Ambulance s a cadet, would there be similar demands, and if so would they be worth it? At the moment my favour rests with joining.
Original post by Explorer Dora
Further to the last post, I guess it might just be easier if I do the whole "Welcome to St John" spiel right away, rather answering specific questions.

I joined St John at university, but I know a number of sixth formers who have joined as a method of getting experience for medicine applications. It's a great charity, and can get you a lot of practical experience, but that being said, the organisation isn't always viewed positively by NHS trusts, and you can encounter a lot of skepticism.

Joining St John, as others have alluded to, can take a while depending on where you live. You essentially have to fill out a application form, and then undergo basic first aid training in Emergency Life Support, Family First Aid, Manual Handling Principles and a course on how to fill out our legal paperwork for each patient. I teach some of these courses to new members myself, and they essentially cover the basic situations that you might encounter in the workplace, at home, or while providing first aid cover at events.

Once you have all the essential paperwork out the way and are trained up, you are free to go out and cover events. This can range from music concerts to village fetes, sports matches to the Marathon, and rumour has it we are coving the Olympics. On a typical duty, you can encounter anything. I've treated people who have had strokes, bad cuts, people being sick, unconscious people - you name it, it can happen.

The more you train, the more qualified you can get. I am now a Patient Transport Attendant, which allows me to transfer patients to and from hospital. You can also become an Emergency Transport Attendant, and these can cover 999 calls for the NHS in some areas. You can learn to use oxygen, AEDs and a number of other skills depending on where you live.

That's the basics anyway. Let me know if you want to know anything specific :smile:
Reply 37
I am a corporal at St John Ambulance if you have any questions feel free. I take over the cadets at our base

Posted from TSR Mobile
Army cadets and St John cadets are very different things. My local unit had 'kidults' who were older cadets who were transitioning to the adult unit. You can go and cover many of the same events as an adult volunteer, but there are some restrictions on events where alcohol is served, and also on there being appropriate adult accompaniment.
In your situation I'd strongly suggest joining as a cadet as you'll move the the adult side in no time, and will already have a lot of your first aid skills in place when you do.
I wasn't a member long, but did really enjoy it.
Sorry for the necropost :-)

just wanted to say that the possibilities for the oportunity to practice prehospital care spans wwwwaaaaaayyyyy past SJA.
About 24 months ago I battled to join the SJA but got nowhere but frustrated.
I then found a small private company called Marton. I had my 3 day FAW, AEd, med gasses and immobilisation course booked within the week of contacting them.

A good while down the line and having transferred over to a company called Jigsaw medical services I am now an EMT waiting to start uni and lead a first aider scheme with the promice of teaching people like you guys how to do everything from being sensitive with a patient to using guedel airways, oxygen and defibrillators to bring people back from the brink of death

we have had terrible experiances with SJA and experiances so great
we have utilised their FA's for ourselves. The organisation is far too vast and diverse to tarnish with one brush. I will say they could treat their volunteers abit better and keep on top of their paperwork though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending