The Student Room Group

Applying for Paramedic Science in 2024 but struggling to find volunteering

Obviously it's a very competitive degree and applicants seem to be judged more on their experience or volunteering than their actual grades when applying with an access course.

St John's Ambulance service is the best option but there's never any interview slots or vacancies. It might be possible to do a community healthcare role but I'm not sure how easy that would be to balance with an access course...

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I might have missed?
Original post by AlexJD_
Obviously it's a very competitive degree and applicants seem to be judged more on their experience or volunteering than their actual grades when applying with an access course.

St John's Ambulance service is the best option but there's never any interview slots or vacancies. It might be possible to do a community healthcare role but I'm not sure how easy that would be to balance with an access course...

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I might have missed?

Care homes. If not, any roles (restaurants, bars, cafes, retail, charity shops, etc.) where you will dealing with the general public. Also, look for volunteering opportunities at your local hospital.
When I first joined the ambulance service I didn't have any experience other than working with the public (mainly retail) and doing a first aid course. But it's one of those things where sometimes if you can think of something unusual it's a good thing to talk about at interview - I did an online level 2 qualification in "working in healthcare" and another in "infection control". There are loads of online free/cheap options if you search for them. Since Covid it's become so much harder to gain work experience, so sometimes showing you have something will really stand out.
Reply 3
Original post by BlueLightDriver
When I first joined the ambulance service I didn't have any experience other than working with the public (mainly retail) and doing a first aid course. But it's one of those things where sometimes if you can think of something unusual it's a good thing to talk about at interview - I did an online level 2 qualification in "working in healthcare" and another in "infection control". There are loads of online free/cheap options if you search for them. Since Covid it's become so much harder to gain work experience, so sometimes showing you have something will really stand out.

That makes me feel better but my college suggested that I really need to get in some healthcare experience. Unfortunately my background is all IT based so I'm not really customer facing like you would be in a retail role. I'm considering applying for community healthcare volunteering currently.

Quick Reply

Latest