The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattGriff

What is the peak age for a weight lifter?

cos as it takes so long to build muscle your not going to have 20ish year olds being completely massive (most of the time), and surely as you get older there is general body degradation.
Original post by Monkey_Pete
What is the peak age for a weight lifter?

cos as it takes so long to build muscle your not going to have 20ish year olds being completely massive (most of the time), and surely as you get older there is general body degradation.

Weightlifters tend to be younger, mid twenties.

Powerlifters hit their peak around early thirties onwards.
Reply 1182
Weightlifters tend to be younger, mid twenties.

Powerlifters hit their peak around early thirties onwards.

So you haven't hit your peak yet?
Original post by u4m1r
So you haven't hit your peak yet?

Nah far from it, getting stronger all the time

Scary thought...
Reply 1185

powerlifter

I was just looking at youtube and came across this guy picking up a car by the rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywDW...eature=related

How would I go about training myself to do that? Is it all feasible? Do you reckon you could do that with the back end of a light car?

thanks
Original post by xc1991
powerlifter

I was just looking at youtube and came across this guy picking up a car by the rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywDW...eature=related

How would I go about training myself to do that? Is it all feasible? Do you reckon you could do that with the back end of a light car?

thanks

Couldn't be arsed to watch it but with some of the cheap light cars of today it wouldn't be that hard.

Why would you want to train to do that? Just deadlift and squat a lot I suppose
Reply 1187
Couldn't be arsed to watch it but with some of the cheap light cars of today it wouldn't be that hard.

Why would you want to train to do that? Just deadlift and squat a lot I suppose

no real reason to be honest, but it would be one hell of a party piece!
Hey Matt.

I want to go for 1RMs in the next week or so and was wondering how to go about it.

Was planning on light warm up(up to about 50% of current lifts) than taking my current lifts from SS and adding 5kg for the big 2 and 2.5 for the smaller ones and starting from that. If i complete a rep successfully then i add 5/2.5 respectively...

Would do it over the course of 2 workouts. Like Squat/bench one day and then OHP/Deadlifts the next workout in 2 days time.

That sound good or is there a proper plan to going about it?
Reply 1189
hey matt, creatine monohydrate or CEE? Or both as good as each other, i'v noticed i can get monohydrate for as little as £15/500g. Thinking thats a good place to start?
Original post by Onge
hey matt, creatine monohydrate or CEE? Or both as good as each other, i'v noticed i can get monohydrate for as little as £15/500g. Thinking thats a good place to start?

£15/1kg for creatine monohydrate on myprotein.com.
x

Posted deadlift and bench vids in my blog. Would appreciate any comments again :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29737390#post29737390
Original post by Becca
Posted deadlift and bench vids in my blog. Would appreciate any comments again :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29737390#post29737390

OK will look later
Original post by MHorman
Hey Matt.

I want to go for 1RMs in the next week or so and was wondering how to go about it.

Was planning on light warm up(up to about 50% of current lifts) than taking my current lifts from SS and adding 5kg for the big 2 and 2.5 for the smaller ones and starting from that. If i complete a rep successfully then i add 5/2.5 respectively...

Would do it over the course of 2 workouts. Like Squat/bench one day and then OHP/Deadlifts the next workout in 2 days time.

That sound good or is there a proper plan to going about it?

Try it and see, I normally do a 6 week build up to peak at one rep maxes but if your desperate or the routine you are doing provides for something similar then go for it.
Reply 1194
OK will look later

Matt on the 5 x 5 program (modified SL) I am following I only deadlift 1x 5, do you think it might be a good idea to change it from 1x 5 to 5 x5, whereas I can do 4 sets of speed deadlifts and in the final set ramp up the weight from what I did initially, thoughts ? :holmes:

Cheers
I prefer full body and I have squatted 4 times a week

The only real difference is the speed and rep range you use for the lifts

Thanks a lot for your reply Matt.

Woah. Isn't that too little time to recover :colondollar:

What rep range do you use? This may be broscience, but it is a good idea to "mix it up" e.g. sometimes 4-6, sometimes 8-12? If so, how do you mix it up? What are your opinions on pyramiding, drop sets and supersets?

What speed is best to use? I've always thought that doing it as fast as possible in the concentric phase is best, then doing a "concentric pause" and then a controlled slowish eccentric phase. But I recently have read a lot of bodybuilders spend a lot of "time under tension" or do really slow reps? I really have no idea if it's good to do fast / slow / medium rep speeds! I hear different things everywhere.

Cheers.
Original post by IceWater
Thanks a lot for your reply Matt.

Woah. Isn't that too little time to recover :colondollar:

No, not if you train correctly

What rep range do you use? This may be broscience, but it is a good idea to "mix it up" e.g. sometimes 4-6, sometimes 8-12? If so, how do you mix it up? What are your opinions on pyramiding, drop sets and supersets?

1-5, usually 2 to 3

What speed is best to use? I've always thought that doing it as fast as possible in the concentric phase is best, then doing a "concentric pause" and then a controlled slowish eccentric phase.

It is for strength and power

But I recently have read a lot of bodybuilders spend a lot of "time under tension" or do really slow reps? I really have no idea if it's good to do fast / slow / medium rep speeds! I hear different things everywhere.

Thats optimal for hypertrohpy

Cheers.

In bold
Weekend warriors. Monday benchers, whatever you want to call them. How would you like to see them die?
what's wrong with benching on a monday???
A Monday Bencher is that guy who comes in on a monday, does 8 different benches because he's had a heavy weekend and needs to burn off all those calories by benching them into oblivion. He might throw in a curl or 8.

Quick Reply

Latest