The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Your top tips for a skinny guy trying to gain muscle?
Original post by Stricof

Read the stickies. :mmm:

Have you given up on running?
Original post by sleekchic
Read the stickies. :mmm:

Have you given up on running?
I can't run for a few months. I have a sprained ankle. Hence, the post ":frown:"
Original post by Stricof
I can't run for a few months. I have a sprained ankle. Hence, the post ":frown:"

Ouch.

Anyway stickies and powerlifter will probably give you some advice in a few hours.
Reply 1584
Original post by cowsforsale
What are the benefits of using chains?

No Sexual innuendos please :u:

You mean like in defrancos?
Original post by a_t
You mean like in defrancos?

Just people doing westside in general.

You get them using for squats, deads benches etc.

I can see where they're coming from wrt chin ups etcs, but dunno why they don't just use normal plates for the barbell exercises.
Just people doing westside in general.

You get them using for squats, deads benches etc.

I can see where they're coming from wrt chin ups etcs, but dunno why they don't just use normal plates for the barbell exercises.

the chains allow them to use more weight in the areas where the lift is easiest. i mean when you bench press, the easiest phase of the push is the bit just before lockout, so the body could handle a few more kg's there
Original post by Isometrix
What is the optimum number of days per week a muscle group should be exercised to see increases in definition and strength?

14 days a week for biceps brah

Original post by Stricof

Eat everything you can (especially fangita for the test boost) and lift heavy

What are the benefits of using chains?

No Sexual innuendos please :u:

They teach speed and overload parts of the lift where you get least assistance from kit
Original post by Powerlifter

i've invented a new exercise, its the partial overhead press, goes as follows:

enter the power cage and sets the safety bars to the top of your head. place the barbell on the pins with your 1RM strict overhead, then grasp the barbell and lock it out.

is this a decent exercise for working on lock outs and to get used to heavy weights? kind of like the partial bench press i guess
Reply 1589
What does a circuit ab workout actually do? Increase endurance? eg what I am doing, sprinter sit ups, V ups, toe touches, hip thrusts 10 reps 3 sets.

Also will does jogging, like 30 mins twice a week go against my goal of increasing size and strength?
Reply 1590
Powerlifter

Can you only get so strong at raw benching without using chains, bands and boards? Are they necessary for a raw bench presser?
u4m1r I know this is powerlifters thread, but I'd like to add - go back a few years - chains / bands (I'm not sure about boards) were nowhere near as popular as they are now

were there still big benchers? of course!

keep it simple, don't need to buy into all this use bands on every set stuff
What Commandant said
Original post by SummerSofas
i've invented a new exercise, its the partial overhead press, goes as follows:

enter the power cage and sets the safety bars to the top of your head. place the barbell on the pins with your 1RM strict overhead, then grasp the barbell and lock it out.

is this a decent exercise for working on lock outs and to get used to heavy weights? kind of like the partial bench press i guess

Yeah done well on that invention - post it to dragons den
Original post by YingYang
What does a circuit ab workout actually do? Increase endurance? eg what I am doing, sprinter sit ups, V ups, toe touches, hip thrusts 10 reps 3 sets.

Also will does jogging, like 30 mins twice a week go against my goal of increasing size and strength?

Yeah endurance - bit homo for weights, good for things like football and jap slapping.

Nah that will be ok
Is it necessary to add romanian deadlifts/stiff leg deadlifts to a routine and why?

Also which one is better?
Original post by sleekchic
Is it necessary to add romanian deadlifts/stiff leg deadlifts to a routine and why?

Also which one is better?

No not nessesary.

Romanians are better imo
Original post by Powerlifter
No not nessesary.

Romanians are better imo

Ok thanks.

I don't think I'll bother with them.
Hi Powerlifter

Brief Medical HistoryI am currently recovering from a knee injury - they thought my ACL had gone but they did an op and it turns out that my ligaments are intact but just really lax and crap, facilitated by too many knee cap dislocations and other issues like flat feet/overpronation/and a hip that's a bit dodgy from rowing on one side too often when I was growing :p:. After a failed op and the long rehab, I have been diagnosed with a patellofemoral dysfunction and I am banned from running or doing anything high impact.

So I am now back in the gym and doing physio (which I must do every day) spinning, cross training, erging and weights. I'm banned from lifting anything above 50kg (and I negotiated hard on that).

Do you have any suggestions for what exercises I should do? I've been doing the Crosgrove complex, which is good because it has the potential to be really tough in that it combines cardio with strength (I only went up to 20kg which wasn't hard so I will up this next week).

But I am struggling to keep things exciting, so to speak. I can't set strength targets due to my 50kg limit, I do work my upper body but I am happy with the balance of my body, so to speak (although I do want to eventually be able to do a proper pull up)...generally I'm bored with 50kg deadlifts :p:.

(old PBs were over 100kg 1x3 for dl and over 80 for squats)
Original post by pearlearrings
Hi Powerlifter

Brief Medical HistoryI am currently recovering from a knee injury - they thought my ACL had gone but they did an op and it turns out that my ligaments are intact but just really lax and crap, facilitated by too many knee cap dislocations and other issues like flat feet/overpronation/and a hip that's a bit dodgy from rowing on one side too often when I was growing :p:. After a failed op and the long rehab, I have been diagnosed with a patellofemoral dysfunction and I am banned from running or doing anything high impact.

So I am now back in the gym and doing physio (which I must do every day) spinning, cross training, erging and weights. I'm banned from lifting anything above 50kg (and I negotiated hard on that).

Do you have any suggestions for what exercises I should do? I've been doing the Crosgrove complex, which is good because it has the potential to be really tough in that it combines cardio with strength (I only went up to 20kg which wasn't hard so I will up this next week).

But I am struggling to keep things exciting, so to speak. I can't set strength targets due to my 50kg limit, I do work my upper body but I am happy with the balance of my body, so to speak (although I do want to eventually be able to do a proper pull up)...generally I'm bored with 50kg deadlifts :p:.

(old PBs were over 100kg 1x3 for dl and over 80 for squats)

Hmm, it is a difficult one really you can still do the majority of powerlifting movements. I can’t see why there would be a 50kg limit to be honest, I did tear my ACL and progressive weightlifting in a controlled manner actually strengthens muscles, tendons, ligaments etc sounds a bit like the H&S mob taking control to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest