The Student Room Group

'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman

Ok. I started this book last night, and didn't move today until I finished it a couple of hours ago (I have an A-Level exam tomorrow, so that was unwise) :rolleyes: . I was so so wrapped up in it and I neeeeeed to discuss it with someone, or at least hear some views! I just can't make sense of it, of the misunderstandings, the sadness, the way it had to be. I cried so so much at the end, not the usual sentimental tears that come with the knowledge that it's fictional but real physical hurt - it seemed so real and possible and through Blackman's brilliant writing I felt like I knew the characters so well. I just willed that ending not to be true so much. Please share your experiences of reading this with me and each other!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LHMarsh10
Ok. I started this book last night, and didn't move today until I finished it a couple of hours ago (I have an A-Level exam tomorrow, so that was unwise) :rolleyes: . I was so so wrapped up in it and I neeeeeed to discuss it with someone, or at least hear some views! I just can't make sense of it, of the misunderstandings, the sadness, the way it had to be. I cried so so much at the end, not the usual sentimental tears that come with the knowledge that it's fictional but real physical hurt - it seemed so real and possible and through Blackman's brilliant writing I felt like I knew the characters so well. I just willed that ending not to be true so much. Please share your experiences of reading this with me and each other!

Amazing book. I loved it, although the ending was heartbreaking. It's one of those books that you finish and then just feel completely stunned. Really thought-provoking as well with the (colour reversed) parallels of real historical events.

I was quite disappointed in the sequel to be honest. I wish she'd just written the one book and left it at that.
Reply 2
~Jen~
Amazing book. I loved it, although the ending was heartbreaking. It's one of those books that you finish and then just feel completely stunned. Really thought-provoking as well with the (colour reversed) parallels of real historical events.

I was quite disappointed in the sequel to be honest. I wish she'd just written the one book and left it at that.

Yeah, stunned most definitely covers it. Devastated works too. It was fantastically well written, thought out, and as you say, thought provoking though. Just wish I didn't feel so upset about it! :bawling:
I haven't read the sequel yet, although I will be doing everything I can to get my hands on it once my exams are done. I hope it doesn't ruin the first book for me though. :confused:
at last! someone who knows what book i'm talking about! this is a truly amazing book with such beautiful words. i'd describe it as a contemporary romeo and juliet, with issues of racism and destruction.

what's the sequel to this book???
Reply 4
I really, really love this book, it's so heartbreaking. I too found the sequel rather disappointing - it's called Knife Edge *starry_eyed_*
Melanie47
I really, really love this book, it's so heartbreaking. I too found the sequel rather disappointing - it's called Knife Edge *starry_eyed_*

*adds to "to-read" list* :biggrin:
Reply 6
Melanie47

And part three "Checkmate" is out on the 30th June.

I think I'll wait until my local library gets it (although amazon are selling it for £7 something if anyone's interested) ... I hope it's an improvement on Knife Edge.
Reply 7
Noughts and Crosses - wasn't that Ian Rankin's first book????
Reply 8
*starry_eyed_*
at last! someone who knows what book i'm talking about! this is a truly amazing book with such beautiful words. i'd describe it as a contemporary romeo and juliet, with issues of racism and destruction.

what's the sequel to this book???

I see what you mean about Romeo and Juliet, but I felt this so much more powerfully than when I read that. Not that that wasn't a classic or anything, it was! I just felt so involved with these two characters - like I really really knew them. :frown: Their misunderstandings and the things they left unsaid were so frustrating! I thought that was a brilliant technique though - to flip between the two perspectives from chapter to chapter. It made me so able to engage with the characters. And obviously I probably find them easier to relate to than Romeo and Juliet given the context etc - although essentially the story is timeless, or it wouldn't have worked would it lol. Rambling. :rolleyes:
I just wish it hadn't ended that way. I genuinely feel like I'm in mourning! Overeacting I know but it was heartbreaking. Well done Malorie I guess! Must be amazing to be able to do something that moves people so much.
Reply 9
AATTMM
Noughts and Crosses - wasn't that Ian Rankin's first book????

That was 'knots and crosses' :p:
Reply 10
I haven't read noughts and crosses but I've read 'thief'. I thought that was good.
Reply 11
Have you read "Dead gorgeous" by Malorie Blackman too? Although noughts and crosses is so heartbreaking i feel this book really touches you too. I was dissapointed by knife edge so i'm hoping check mate is better!
LHMarsh10
I see what you mean about Romeo and Juliet, but I felt this so much more powerfully than when I read that. Not that that wasn't a classic or anything, it was! I just felt so involved with these two characters - like I really really knew them. :frown: Their misunderstandings and the things they left unsaid were so frustrating! I thought that was a brilliant technique though - to flip between the two perspectives from chapter to chapter. It made me so able to engage with the characters. And obviously I probably find them easier to relate to than Romeo and Juliet given the context etc - although essentially the story is timeless, or it wouldn't have worked would it lol. Rambling. :rolleyes:
I just wish it hadn't ended that way. I genuinely feel like I'm in mourning! Overeacting I know but it was heartbreaking. Well done Malorie I guess! Must be amazing to be able to do something that moves people so much.

i think this works so much more than romeo and juliet and makes us relate much more cos they are just young kids really. romeo and co were teenagers, but i don't think many teenagers today could say they are getting married at their age!
Reply 13
Rebecca/Becca
I haven't read noughts and crosses but I've read 'thief'. I thought that was good.

I remember reading that :biggrin: I also really loved 'Hacker'... and Operation Gadgetman when I was younger
Reply 14
i loved the book ._. 2nd one was more dark and older..
cant wait to read the 3rd one to finish off
Reply 15
it is a brilliant book! I read it when it first came out (at least 2 or 3 yrs ago) and it still has an impact on me when I think about the ending *sob*
This seems to have turned into a malorie blackman thread!

Which is fine, she was one of my favourite authors as a kid. I loved 'Thief!', 'Pig-heart boy' and 'Operation Gadgetman'- I think I still have it lying around somewhere- and 'ANTIDOTE' and 'Trust Me' were good too.

I haven't read any sequels but 'Noughts and crosses was brilliant, I read it a couple of years ago and the librarian actually had a conversation about how wonderful it was when I returned it.
Reply 17
I haven't read any of her other books - are any of them as good as Noughts and Crosses?
I don't think she's done anything as good as 'N&C' I was surprised when I first read it, after years of being a huge fan.
Reply 19
I never finished it - it seemed boring to me. That said, I was younger then (quite a bit in fact) and I suspect i might enjoy it more were I to read it again. Since everybody seems to like it, I probably will.

Latest

Trending

Trending