The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm not sure that I'll bother with Checkmate... only if I come across it in the library maybe.

I wish she hadn't written the sequels tbh. Noughts & Crosses was such a special, powerful book and works perfectly well as a stand-alone one-off novel. I found Knife Edge tainted it for me :frown:
Reply 41
when was this written?

I really, really love this book, it's so heartbreaking. I too found the sequel rather disappointing - it's called Knife Edge *starry_eyed_*

Me too, I LOVED Callum, and find Sephy REALLY annoying. No, I didn't like the sequel much either, but if the mini book helps Ill try and get hold if it. When is it set? Inbetween N&C and Knife Edge? I still want to read Checkmate though, just to know the ending...
Reply 43
I want to know whats going to happen to her daughter!
I have just gone out and got Checkmate. Am half way through, and dont want to spoil it so will just say, at the moment I think its more Knife Edge standard than Noughts and Crosses, but is still good...
sarforaz
ive read those 3 now... all very good, recommend to anyone... knife edge wasnt up there with the other 2 but meh.. still worth it :smile:

Spoiler

noofruit
Me too, I LOVED Callum, and find Sephy REALLY annoying. No, I didn't like the sequel much either, but if the mini book helps Ill try and get hold if it. When is it set? Inbetween N&C and Knife Edge? I still want to read Crosswire though, just to know the ending...

Yes, it is set when Sephy is six months pregeant.
I would post regarding spoiler above, but think I should probably put what I write into another Spoiler box. Can somebody tell me how to do it?
Reply 47
noofruit
I would post regarding spoiler above, but think I should probably put what I write into another Spoiler box. Can somebody tell me how to do it?

Choose reply... then click the single question mark button in the line of tools options (Bold, italic etc) - its one in from the right end of the row. Then type your spoiler in the box that comes up.
Reply 48
Ending to checkmate . . .

Spoiler

I still feel that Malorie Blackman should have left it at Noughts & Crosses. Knife Edge wasn't very interestic, far too domestic, the best scenes were between Jude and Cara. Check Mate started off as bad as Knife Edge, but as soon as Callie turned teen, it started to become brilliant.

It's made me want to write a Rome and Juliet style love story, which I've just started. I've done loads of writing, but none like this. Whod've thought it?

What did you think of the ending of Checkmate?

Spoiler

noofruit

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 51
!!! i'm so pleased that i'm not the only person who thinks she ought to have stopped with 'noughts and crosses'!!!

i've read both the sequels and, although there's nothing much wrong with them, i don't think that they were necessary. although 'knife edge' and 'checkmate' carry on the story, all they really do is take the events of the first book to their logical conclusion. i finished reading the third book and although it didn't leave me dissatisfied, i didn't feel that it had been worth my while reading it. 'noughts and crosses' is powerful, thought-provoking and relevant - it's exactly the kind of book that i think young people ought to be reading, because they are the people who are going to grow up in an increasingly multicultural society, and they are the ones who need to be inspired to make that society one which is tolerant of cultural differences, race and religion. i feel that the final chapter of 'noughts and crosses' is so potent simply because it leaves the conflict unresolved, almost inviting a reader to consider his or her own reactions and opinions. for me, the two sequels somehow lessen the inspirational power of the first novel. so if anyone on here hasn't already read them then i'd advise them not to.

ahem, sorry about the mini-essay. i've been wanting to say that since i finished the third book, and i haven't yet found a suitable customer to pounce on.
Reply 52
It is a *good* book, but nothing mega amazing
Reply 53
I loved noughts and crosses. my friend reccommended it to me. she never crys and it had her in floods of tears. I still thought knife edge was good but i don't think i could have ever matched up to the standard of noughts and crosses.

Spoiler

Caffine

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 55
wow..this trilogy is truly wiked!im currently reading the 3rd one..its soo good..its such a kewl gripping book tht makes u think at the end of it..
OK i am reading knife edge atm and tbh it is no-where near as good as the 1st... but n&c was way high up.
I think I'm one of the few people who really liked Knife Edge. :frown:
I liked it!
I wish I could write like Malorie Blackman!

Latest

Trending

Trending