The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
susiemakemeblue
I wish I could write like Malorie Blackman!

My only complaint about her writing is that she always seems to use so many exclamation marks (more so in earlier books like Hacker) :confused:

But that's just me... I have an irrational fear of exclamation marks...

Spoiler

Very well written indeed. Great book, with some very interesting and daring ideas. i have to admit, i cried in the end. :redface:
Is there a third in the series?? 'Cause Knife Edge doesn't exactly end conclusively :*(
Yes, Checkmate. It came out last month.
I thought Noughts and Crosses was amazing but then I think she spoiled it with Knife Edge - I didn't think it was very good at all, I'll probably read checkmate but after reading Knife edge I think it would have been better to leave it at noughts and crosses and not make a series
Reply 66
i agree, Noughts and crosses was amazing and the conclusion had me in tears. However, Knife edge disappointed me and was no way near as good as Noughts and Crosses. I am part way through Checkmate and although it is a good read i agree that neither have come close to matching N+Cs
Checkmate does get a lot better later on.
Reply 68
Caffine
I loved noughts and crosses. my friend reccommended it to me. she never crys and it had her in floods of tears. I still thought knife edge was good but i don't think i could have ever matched up to the standard of noughts and crosses.

Yes it did have me in floods of tears ='(
I also thought that knife edge didn't match up to the standards of noughts and crosses, however I think it helps you understand Jude a bit more.
I also cried at checkmate! I think it meets up to the standard of noughts and crosses! :smile:
Reply 69
One of my favourite books, i REALLY enjoyed it. It is so different and contraversial yet taps into such serious ideas of equality. Recommend
well i read the whole trilogy whilst on holiday and i have to say i loved every word of it. i was quite disappointed with knife edge, but it just made me take m ore interest in the finale. i particularly liked the way the record of events was re-told back-to-front. The last chapter had me in tears. The best book I have ever read. :smile:
I loved the way the book makes you think. Like with not having plasters the right colour of Noughts and God being black (it was the first time I had realised that I had never seen a black or Asian biblical character, despite the fact that they're more likely to be so!).

Anyway, I absolutely adore this book. So emotional and touching. Knife Edge was nowhere near as good, although I enjoyed Checkmate. I think the problem with the sequels is that nothing could live up to how absolutely amazing and unique Noughts & Crosses was. Probably would have been much better to let it stand alone- it's not as if there were lots of unconcluded (is that even a word?) events...

Latest

Trending

Trending