The Student Room Group

Am I silly to want to go from English to a Fashion degree?

I am currently in my first semester studying English Language at the University of Manchester.

I am already completely bored and uninterested - I have realised that I actually cannot stomach doing this for 3 years, and it is nothing like I expected or even want.

I am really interested in doing a degree in Fashion and Textile Retailing. It's something i've kinda of always have a secret passion for, being creative and learning about the industry, and have always wanted to be in a fashion related job. Not for the 'glamour' - I am not a 'girly airhead who likes shopping etc'. However, I feel like it will be a step down, and people may see me as stupid almost, as ai achieved 4 As at A-Level in tough subjects. And in the current economic climate, wouldn't an English degree give me more job prospects?

I just know that doing my current degree is making me miserable.
Reply 1
If you aren't bhappy doing English then it isn't for you. Not sure about whether you should go to Fashion or not since I know next to nothing about it, but if you've got a pssion for it then that should be a good pointer.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Silly? Not at all. Some people on TSR are bound to say differently, but they'll be the same people who secretly laugh at anyone not doing a BSc. I was in the EXACT same situation as you - started doing English and realised straight away I hated it. So I changed over to Film, which I'm incredibly passionate about, and haven't looked back at all. I got some stick but I'm ten times happier now. At the end of the day, you're going to be spending 3 years doing this subject and get in a lot of debt over it, might as well be happy!
No.
Reply 4
Not silly at all. Fashion is a huge industry, and there are some wonderful jobs that can come after it, aside from just designing.
I wouldn't stomach a degree I didn't enjoy. Youre paying that much for it, it might as well be something you care about.
I have friends doing fashion after A Level, and they have all needed a Foundation art course year first. Is this something you require?
Forget about job prospects for now and do something you enjoy. :smile:
Reply 6
lol both are completely useless, sorry. I would learn some kind of textile/fabric processing trade (you could probably do an HND in that rather than waste 4 years) so you will have genuine practical skills, a solid foundation to place your creativity upon. The fashion degree will be 100% fluff and there are 1000001 girls wasting time doing that. Perhaps be different and stand out with proper knowledge of the dirty manufactoring process and a good portfolio of creative work (imo, slight probability of wrongness)...
Reply 7
No, it doesn't require any previous art knowledge as the course has two streams - either designing clothing or learning business, with a crossover of some seminars and lectures.
Well the only way you'd get onto a fashion and textile course is with a big enough portfolio to back it up. My teacher has a degree in textiles and fashion (she was in the factory business for 20 years) and went into teaching about 10 years ago she said it's really competitive now and those that get onto the fashion degree courses are those who have done a souly fashion diploma before hand or all their work from their fine art a level or diploma in art and design which each project is centered around something fashion related have goptten into to do fashion.

It's only useless if you use the degree in a different field (thought that was quite obvious, you don't apply for an accounting job with a fashion degree). It's quite relevant to the fashion world.

Most universities that do art degrees require you to do a 1 year foundation diploma in art and design in preparation now which if you're over 18 you have to pay for yourself the alg grant is available but not much money.
Reply 9
i checked the requirements for this course, it just says AAB A-levels
Well if you enjoy working at McDonalds just go for it.
Reply 11
helloblueroses
i checked the requirements for this course, it just says AAB A-levels

I definitely wanted to do an English degree up until summer 2009, then I deicded to go with my heart and apply for Textile Design courses because I know that I will enjoy it so much more. People say its a bit dumb but I'm not stupid. At the end of the day it's 3 years of your life that you've got to enjoy so it's better doing something that you love rather than being pressured into doing something academic.

Where have you applied to? I've applied to Demontfort, St Martins, Leeds (twice) and Brighton
x
A girl in my year got:

11A*s
3As 2Bs at AS (one B was in history which she was AMAZING at so that was strange)
Predicted 5As at A2

and she's applying fashion at all the best art colleges and art history at a few unis appaza
if it's what you want to do you then do it. you're not "downgrading" yourself
There is no point wasting three years doing a course you aren't interested in. You will end up bored and demotivated and probably won't do as well. If you are really passionate about fashion, do it. There will always be postgrad/other courses available if you do have difficulty finding a job once you graduate.

Latest