The Student Room Group

Classics and Oriental Studies Oxford Applicants (Entry 2010)

Darn it people, there are threads on here for literally tons of different courses at Oxford but funnily enough none for this amazing course! Sure we have picked quite an obscure course but let's be serious, we are intellectually stimulated by the fascination of ancient languages and the history of the world! We want to listen to the voices of those who have long passed, converse about the epic literature which has inspired modern society and to discover the unknown questions in the world using philosophical debate! We should stand up and be counted! Dead languages must rise like a phoenix from the ashes because we are far superior to modern languages! Perhaps you may be thinking, my God this girl is an absolute freak, or perhaps you're saying FINALLY someone gets my interest in history. So people let's converse about philosophically and mentally challenging debates or possibly a little easier, just post what you want to do and at which college!
I've applied for Classics and Oriental Studies (Egyptian) at Somerville!
Good luck guys xxxxx
Reply 1
cringe...
Reply 2
It's sad you found this!
Apparently no one wants to do my course but me :frown:
Reply 3
cregan91
It's sad you found this!
Apparently no one wants to do my course but me :frown:

If it helps I think it is a cool subject combination. Though I think I would do it with Persian, but Egyptology is also good. :wink:

If you look at the application/admissions statistics from last year
http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2008-9/supps/2_vol139.pdf
breakdown by course (page 6),
Classics and Oriental Studies is not even listed. Maybe it's grouped with Classics. But given that for Classics and Modern Languages and other Classics joint courses application numbers are ~30 (of 13388 total Oxford applications..), and Classics and Oriental Studies is probably even less sought after, I'm not surprised that you don't find other applicants on here...

Anyway, good luck with your application. :-)
Reply 4
I really wanted to apply for this course (Classics with Oriental Studies version as opposed to Oriental Studies with Classics) with the Oriental part being Hebrew!

Let me know how you get on with interview/offer etc!
Reply 5
Lirinen
I really wanted to apply for this course (Classics with Oriental Studies version as opposed to Oriental Studies with Classics) with the Oriental part being Hebrew!

Let me know how you get on with interview/offer etc!

Which college have you applied to?!?
x

Latest

Trending

Trending