The Student Room Group

Which school is a bit more prestigious?

University of Pennsylvania or Dartmouth for med school?

And granted this is not for an MD but a PhD Biological Sciences and Immunology.

My brother is trying to decide on which one. I told him that message boards are great ways to quickly get a response but he should do more homework on his own.

Penn is supposed to be ranked higher but I felt that Dartmouth might be more well known and internationally recognized than Penn and also provide a close knit environment.

Which one guys?

Scroll to see replies

I've heard of both universities, but more of UPenn, so I'd say it's more popular, it's also ranked higher. As for which is more prestigious, I couldn't give you an answer as I don't know them well enough. Furthermore, why should that be an issue though? Shouldn't he go to the one he prefers?
Reply 2
Stalin
I've heard of both universities, but more of UPenn, so I'd say it's more popular, it's also ranked higher. As for which is more prestigious, I couldn't give you an answer as I don't know them well enough. Furthermore, why should that be an issue though? Shouldn't he go to the one he prefers?

Of course he should go to the one he prefers but I also want to know what the difference was reputation wise between the two schools. So Penn is more well known internationally? But Penn as in the Ivy League or Penn State, the State School?
TimeDivided09
Of course he should go to the one he prefers but I also want to know what the difference was reputation wise between the two schools. So Penn is more well known internationally? But Penn as in the Ivy League or Penn State, the State School?

University of Pennsylvania not Pennsylvania State University.
Reply 4
Since he will be doing a PhD, ratings mean nothing.
What matters is how good the department he will be working in is
and who his PhD supervisor will be.
And of course, how good the department's placement record is for tenure track jobs.
Doing a PhD and then ending up teaching at a community college would be awful.
In terms of prestigiousness, there are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and the rest of the Ivys. Anywhere in the world, both schools are known as Ivy League institutions that aren't HYP - the differentiation of the other 5 in terms of reputation is negligible.

Personally I'd go with Penn - it's larger and richer (translating to better facilities), and it's in a city. That is, of course, just my opinion, and you're probably right that Dartmouth would be a bit more close-knit.
Reply 6
UPenn > Dartmouth College
Reply 7
fat.american.kid
Anywhere in the world, both schools are known as Ivy League institutions that aren't HYP

Actually, I found that outside the US, both schools are not known.
HYP and perhaps SM are known, but most people in the UK have not heard of the lesser Ivies.
flugestuge
Actually, I found that outside the US, both schools are not known.
HYP and perhaps SM are known, but most people in the UK have not heard of the lesser Ivies.

True, a better wording would have been "Around the world, those who know of both schools categorize them with the other non-HYP Ivys."

That's a good point though, it's happened on more than one occasion that I've surprised a British student by telling them that MIT, Stanford, and (strangely enough) NYU aren't Ivy League schools.
Reply 9
fat.american.kid
In terms of prestigiousness, there are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and the rest of the Ivys. Anywhere in the world, both schools are known as Ivy League institutions that aren't HYP - the differentiation of the other 5 in terms of reputation is negligible.

Personally I'd go with Penn - it's larger and richer (translating to better facilities), and it's in a city. That is, of course, just my opinion, and you're probably right that Dartmouth would be a bit more close-knit.

I figured that Penn was a middle Ivy along with Columbia and the lower Ivies represented; Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell. But I think that internationally you're right.

I told him that Penn is better ranked, I mean I think it's like third or fourth behind Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Stanford. So he would have the prestige of that. The Penn Hospital would offer killer research and internship opportunities. And Philly seems like a decent town that's close to NYC.

But with Dartmouth he would have a really close knit community, instant access to research without the heavy competition, internships, name recognition and what I hear is the best career networking in the Ivy League.

In my opinion, Dartmouth just sounds better than Penn on a resume. Gives it more of a ring. But then again that's just aesthetics . I figured it sounded more "Ivy". LOL
fat.american.kid
it's happened on more than one occasion that I've surprised a British student by telling them that MIT, Stanford, and (strangely enough) NYU aren't Ivy League schools.

I once had this strange conversation with a British student when I told him about Brown being an Ivy and
he thought that I was making some sort of obscure joke about turds.
U Penn. It is more internationally recognized than Dartmouth.
TimeDivided09

In my opinion, Dartmouth just sounds better than Penn on a resume. Gives it more of a ring. But then again that's just aesthetics . I figured it sounded more "Ivy". LOL

Internationally, Dartmouth gets mistaken for it's much more famous sibling, Dartmoor:
What in the world is Dartmoore?

I once had this strange conversation with a British student when I told him about Brown being an Ivy and

Yeah. It's kind of funny to hear people outside of the US talk about Ivies. If it's not HYP, then it's not anything. Even then I am not so sure about Princeton.

I remember reading this UK paper, I believe the Daily Mail, and it said that the girl from Harry Potter was going off to the States to attend Brown University in New York. I was shocked that a newspaper could make such a mistake. It also showed me how the lower Ivies lose prestige recognition overseas.
TimeDivided09
...with Dartmouth he would have a really close knit community, instant access to research without the heavy competition, internships, name recognition and what I hear is the best career networking in the Ivy League.

Very true. The connections you make at a school like Dartmouth will last you (and your family) a lifetime. And the name does bear a bit more of the elitist zeitgeist your brother would be chasing if he chose it over Penn, where he would most likely get the better education.

It really depends on who he's trying to impress. His family? New acquaintances? Go with Dartmouth. Employers will see it differently, though. In the world of medicine, Dartmouth (second only to Brown) conveys an abundance of family wealth and little more, whereas Penn conveys practical, tangible ability. Just make sure he says "UPenn" instead of "Penn" during interviews :P
flugestuge

Lol, those Brits and their scatology.
Well, my bro wants to study abroad in Asia too and I hear that UPenn is huge in South Asia, especially in India.
TimeDivided09
What in the world is Dartmoore? .

A rather well known historical prison in Devon.:yep:
It really depends on who he's trying to impress. His family? New acquaintances? Go with Dartmouth. Employers will see it differently, though. In the world of medicine, Dartmouth (second only to Brown) conveys an abundance of family wealth and little more, whereas Penn conveys practical, tangible ability. Just make sure he says "UPenn" instead of "Penn" during interviews :P

Yeah. Coming from a state school for his BA he would really land that Ivy prestige whoring he's been wanting with Dartmouth. It just has that preppy ring to it. I am not sure he would worry about employment with a close knit network and superb career services.

So that's what his dilemna is really about. Going with the rankings Penn is far superior than Dartmouth. I mean like it's up their with Johns Hopkins, Harvard and Stanford Medical School. But that also entails more students, competition for internships, research, etc.

OR he could trade that in for Dartmouth which is like ranked way below Penn, like somewhere in the thirties for Med School and be able to keep the stress off while making good friends, connections and a name for himself in the department.
I'd opt for UPenn as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending