The Student Room Group

Girls - how do you deal with feeling broody?

Title pretty much says it all.

Right now all I want is to have a kid with my wonderful boyfriend. I'm at a very good uni and feel like I should really be concentrating on work as I'm really clever, but honestly all I want is to drop out and have a kid :sigh:

I'm not going to as I know I'd regret it - I'd probably never get the chance to study here again - but I wish I could. Haven't dared to tell my boyfriend any of this as he's already heard it all before from when I was on the pill - it made me REALLY broody, like I actually considered giving up my place at uni to have a kid.

Obviously I'm not quite that irrational about it now - I know I should enjoy my youth! :p: - but at the same time I just want to settle down and have a family.

Anyway - how do you deal with it (assuming you feel this way?) Any tips/ideas/ways of dealing with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get a pet? :badger:
Reply 2
You already know it's not a good idea to drop out so I dont really see the problem :/
I don't deal well with it. Everything you've said is how I feel. I would quite happily drop everything, drop out of my good course at prestigious uni, be in debt and have a child with my boyfriend. But you have to just think logically - it helps to actually talk yourself into it, then talk yourself out. You couldn't bring up a child financially, ideally or comfortably in the situation you're in now. You'd have less time with your boyfriend just the two of you, so you couldn't be quite too sure how your relationship will eventually work out (that may not count, it doesn't for me - but someone mentioned it to me, thought it may be worth saying), etc etc.

I've told myself I can wait a couple of years and just enjoy the time with my boyfriend, and then have a baby, as it's just not fair or logical now.

But I feel exactly what you are, you're not alone!! :h:
ewww children

haha :wink:
Reply 5
i never feel broody, infact it's my worst nightmare the thought of having a child right now. mind a baby for a night and change its nappy and you'll be able to re-evaluate the situation
I feel very broody at times.

Being a first year student.. now would be a terrible time to have a baby. Not to mention I think it wld be better to marry or at least live together for a considerable time before committing to a child :p:

Umm... to relieve this I fantasize about my future with my boyfriend :p: like how happy I will be when I'm eventually at the right time in life to get my wish.

It makes me even more cautious about contraception. I think it would be especially especially difficult to abort a child I secretly kinda wanted (in a childish/irrational way, but still)
ive never felt broody :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm not one to get broody at all. I can see myself having a baby when I'm 30, but no way in hell now. Think about it - I'm sure you would like money, your own place and a decent job first?
Reply 9
Just think of your future if you dropped out now just to have a kid , you would probably end up geting a not-so-good job and not much money and the kid would suffer. Why not do it when you are both ready!
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies. I'm a fairly emotional person, so when I start thinking about having kids, all the rationality goes through the window :p: thanks for the advice everyone :h:
Reply 11
If i feel broody, I google image Birth.

Puts me right off.
Think of your future, and think of how much better you will be able to bring up a child with a home, a stable job and a good financial basis

Thats whats stopping me feeling like it atm :smile:
Reply 13
Sequin

Puts me right off.

Thanks. :o: I think I'll save that one as a last resort, heheh.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Good to know I'm not alone at least. :smile:

I'm quite an emotional person, so when I start thinking about having kids all the rationality seems to go out of the window :h: obviously I'd like to have a house and a stable job and be married first :smile:
I picture a young chav mum, who does not have an education, whose boyfriend has most likely left her, is unable to provide for her children herself and has to scrub off her parents. It does not make for a happy future for either the child or the parent.
Reply 15
Watch Jeremy Kyle.

Do you want to be one of those?
Oh I know how you feel I've felt broody ever since I started my period 10 years ago and it's always worse around that time of the month.

You just have to remind yourself it's just a biological urge and that there are loads of things you want to do before you have a kid. Me: Get a house, get married, get my degree, become a teacher... there's plenty of stuff I want to do.
Every time you find yourself thinking about how cute babies are, how much fun it would be to teach and play games with your toddler, or going shopping with your teenager. Just remember that most of the time they will cry, be a lot of trouble, stop you from enjoying holidays, dinner for two, tell you they hate you and you are ruining their life. Seriously are you ready for all of the c*** that comes with being a parent?
(I am not trying to say that it one day you won't love bing a parent and that it can't be an awesome experience it's just when you find yourself being broody you just need to remind yourself there is a lot more to children than cow and gate adverts!)
Sequin

Puts me right off.

do that OP.
Reply 19
Since you're young, you have plenty of time to wait and think about having kids. It'll make you a better mum if you really test the broody feeling, because some people find it goes away. If you're really keen to be a mum, you need to take it really seriously and take the time to think how and why you're doing this. So I think, take the rest of your degree to figure it out. If you still feel broody later on, you'll know it's really right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending