The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
I think you'll find as you go through the application stages that Lancaster University take their mother ******* sweet ass time. It takes ages for anything to get done. Good uni though :biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hiya,

I'm a 3rd year social work student at Lancaster. I found it took ages to get a reply from them and eventually hear in the New year. I now know that they are busy organising placements ready for us to start them in January. Things quieten down after that so you will probably hear in the new year. They wont leave you without an answer.

If you have any questions about the course etc let me know.
Reply 3
Wooo got my interview yest!
Reply 4
to Princess CLW-
(apologies to patma for the thread hijack):s-smilie:

may I just ask what the hours are like in the first year of the course? Such as what times lectures start and finish etc . I have been trying to find this info but have been unable to, so if you can help i would be most grateful :smile:

thanks
Reply 5
Well divastrop I can't belive you have the audacity to ask such a question on MY thread do you not have any understanding of social norms and values? You fool! May a plague of horney donkeys curse your house, may you neve know the joy of sherry trifle again!
Reply 6
i would not consider a plague of horny donkeys to be a curse upon my house.
I have been trying to learn about social norms and values in sociology but for some reason class discussions keep going off topic.
Alas, I have never known the joy of sherry trifle.I have only known joy in mini doughnuts.
Reply 7
divastrop
i would not consider a plague of horny donkeys to be a curse upon my house.
I have been trying to learn about social norms and values in sociology but for some reason class discussions keep going off topic.
Alas, I have never known the joy of sherry trifle.I have only known joy in mini doughnuts.

Are you some sort of donkey humper? PERVERT. You've never had joyus experience of covering yourself in trifle and cheering on midgets as they lick it off you? You have not lived my lovlie!

I have the problem of not being able to keep up in sociology as I stare at my intense beautie in my mirror I keep on me!
Reply 8
what i do in my spare time is nobody's business but my own, but since you mentioned it, they tend to prefer sheep in this neck of the woods.

I may well have lived, but I am old and no longer remember being a 14-18 year old. there may be reasons for that, but without hypnotic regression I will never know.

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I have inside knowledge and suspect that what you think is a mirror is actually a photo of the psychology tutor.

Thanks for being so understanding about the hijack xxx
Hiya,

I have had a few PM's about the social work degree at Lancaster so thought I would post this to give people some basic info about the course. It is an honest account so you can get a real picture of what the course is like:

Lancaster is a good uni for social work and is highly regarded for its research in the department. One of our lecturers is even on the Social Work Taskforce. All of the lectures have a great understanding of their subect.

Working whilst you have lectures working is easy cos you wont have any more than 6 2hour blocks a week I wouldnt think (unless they change it). However, it is worth considering when you are on placement you will be working 5 days a week full time. This is where work becomes hard and many people I know have struggled. As well as doing a full time placement you have essays and reports to write so you won't have a great deal of free time. This is the same EVERYWHERE not just Lancaster.

You will do 2 placements each of 100 days. Our 1st one was in 2nd year. It ran from start August- end of DEcember (so be prepared to miss out on some of your summer holiday, and some on christmas break- you will finish for xmas). The second we are starting 4th Jan (3rd Year) until May. You miss one week of xmas break and all of easter as you have to work all the way through. You are allowed one half day (i.e. a morning or afternoon off) per week or the equivalent. SO you could have one whole day off one week and no time off the following week. You can not work it so you have more than two days off a week

In my experience, if you have a genuine need for support the department are great and will do everything they can to help, so long as your not taking them for a fool! lol.

It is a stressful and demanding course. I wont lie to you, you need to be 100% committed or it wont work. We are the only department (as far as I know) that lose so much of our vacation time but this is necessary for placement. Also it might seem you dont get as many contact hours as your friends but you must remember that you working 37 hours a week for 200 days is probably more contact hours than they will get.

Finally, you dont get to choose a minor to study- you can nly do the soical work course itself.

Hope that helps?
Reply 10
can i just ask where you did you / others did there placements? i'm doing my profile at the mo and just curious to know what placements people have done just to give me some ideas. thanks x

Latest

Trending

Trending