The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Icelandic. Colloquial Icelandic by Daisy Neijmann. Why did I even have to tell you this?!
jimface!
yeah i find rlling R is a bitch too, im starting to get the hang of it, but not very well :frown:.. i know the cyrillic alphabet and a few russian phrases... a few of my friends think im a dickhead for wanting to learn russian, but i dont care.. i think im cool :biggrin:

YOU ARE COOL.

I think your friends are dickheads. :hmmm:
Ah, now as simple as it is to say "I can learn a language", there are things you're not going to get without a teacher, and most of it will be to do with whether you can truly grasp the concepts. With the three you've decided to pick, it's a case of whether you can get over adjectival agreements; each one comes with them in different levels of difficulty.

If you take Spanish, you get it nice and simple as far as they go; and it's also a simple language pronunciation-wise.
If you take French, I suppose (for me at least) it' an intermediary language as far as adjectival agreements and pronunciation go. It's nice, but I prefer Spanish over it.
Italian, is brilliant. Personally, take it. If you think you can master the multitudes of adjectival agreements, it's really simple. :biggrin: I love this language more than I love Spanish. In fact, I love it more than any language I've looked at.

However, I think it's quite hard to learn a language on your own. I tried to teach my ex-girlfriend Italian via Facebook, and while she sort of got it, she didn't. It's the same as learning it from a book, because both ways are reading. Still, if you really concentrate, and learn it every day, and go over everything hundreds of times until you understand it...you can learn.
ferret123
I'd love to self learn Italian and french. There is a list of links on my blog:
http://crafterholic.blogspot.com/search?q=languages

I've just had a look at those links on your blog and they look very useful for those wanting to start French, and to a lesser extent, other languages too. Do you have knowledge of any other Romance languages, such as Spanish? If you do, learning Italian and/or French will obviously be so much easier, because all three of these languages are so similar, both regarding their grammar, as well as their vocabulary.
CatatonicStupor
Ah, now as simple as it is to say "I can learn a language", there are things you're not going to get without a teacher, and most of it will be to do with whether you can truly grasp the concepts. With the three you've decided to pick, it's a case of whether you can get over adjectival agreements; each one comes with them in different levels of difficulty.

If you take Spanish, you get it nice and simple as far as they go; and it's also a simple language pronunciation-wise.
If you take French, I suppose (for me at least) it' an intermediary language as far as adjectival agreements and pronunciation go. It's nice, but I prefer Spanish over it.
Italian, is brilliant. Personally, take it. If you think you can master the multitudes of adjectival agreements, it's really simple. :biggrin: I love this language more than I love Spanish. In fact, I love it more than any language I've looked at.

However, I think it's quite hard to learn a language on your own. I tried to teach my ex-girlfriend Italian via Facebook, and while she sort of got it, she didn't. It's the same as learning it from a book, because both ways are reading. Still, if you really concentrate, and learn it every day, and go over everything hundreds of times until you understand it...you can learn.

I agree with everything you've said here, apart from the fact that I prefer Spanish over Italian (I did both languages for my degree and graduated last year). I would have liked to have continued with French for my degree, but I couldn't, although I would like to pick it up again one day.
Reply 45
It's perfectly possible. You've got to be dedicated to it though. Without a class forcing you to do stuff, you can easily just forget or not be bothered to learn.

Therefore you need to pick up a language you are interested in and that you are going to be motivated by. If you don't really want to learn it then you just won't bother, you'll forget it and it'll be a colossal waste of time. It's not an easy task but just buy a few books such as 'Teach Yourself' and go from there. The internet is also an amazing resource for free learning stuff (depending on the language).
By the way, on an interesting but pedantic point about the English language -- one cannot help but self-learn a language, however, one has a choice whether to self-teach a language or not. :wink:
Reply 47
follow_the_sun
I think Chinese is very difficult to learn,isn't it?

Chinese is a great language!! The only real hard parts about the languages are the tonal system (depending on the intonation that a speaker puts on a word, the meanings can change), and the characters (although with a bit of practise, this can be surprisingly simple). The grammar of Chinese is fairly easy, with word order being simple and only a few grammatical particles that are a bit challenging.

To overcome the problematic issues of Chinese, as in the pronunciation, http:///www.chinese-course.com/ is a great website to hear recordings of a native speaker speaking each sound. That site's also great for vocabulary and revision. Also, if you go to http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/ it's really good for memorising the parts (radicals) of a Chinese character which get put together to form an entire character, and also good for memorising the stroke orders.

To start off with Chinese, look at a website that introduces you to the four tones, just Google Introduction to Chinese or something like that. There really isn't that much a need for textbooks or anything, there's so much that can be done for free on the Internet, and that goes for any language. Once you gain confidence in the basic workings of the language, go on some kind of penpal website like http://www.penpalworld.com/ where you can add people from China on MSN and talk and practise your Chinese.

I've learnt some Chinese through this way, and have talked to people online in Chinese. Next year I'm also going to university to do Chinese too :smile:
Reply 48
jismith1989
By the way, on an interesting but pedantic point about the English language -- one cannot help but self-learn a language, however, one has a choice whether to self-teach a language or not. :wink:

oops :o:
I self teach Spanish :suith:
I started self-teaching late august, did a few hours work
Joined the GCSE class in september (only go to 1 hour out of 3 a week though)
Do some revision once a day for a few hours every month
Revised manically the day before my mock oral
Got an A in my mock oral :happy:
My other mocks are after christmas, reading is completley easy but listening and writing - :argh:

In my gap year I WILL relearn Swedish but I don't know if that counts really
Aelred
Yes, it's possible if you're motivated and willing to keep working at it. Ploughing through grammar books can be a bit tough at times, but you can get there. I did Romanian and it proved to be a good decision for the work I'm doing now.

As for recommending a language, I think you should simply go for whichever one you like the idea of learning. You may also find that you have more of a flair for some languages than others. I seem to be able to pick up Romance languages (French/Italian/Romanian etc.) without too much difficulty, but found German very difficult. So maybe you could learn the basics of a few and see which one you get on with the best.

How long did it take you to learn Romanian?

OP I'm trying to self-teach Spanish as well, I'm sure we could help each other or something. Are you starting from scratch?
So far I've started listening to Spanish songs and speaking with Spanish pen pals by email has helped me learn lots of little words like "it" or "there". But its much better to have speaking practice-if you don't get that you'll never learn.
generalebriety
Of course it's possible, I've done it plenty of times.

French, Spanish and Italian? It probably doesn't make a bloody difference which you choose - for the first few months they'll all look identical to you anyway.

How long did it take you to learn what language?
And did you ever travel to the country?
La Esmerelda
How long did it take you to learn what language?
And did you ever travel to the country?

I learnt French for about fourteen years, and was quite good at it, but have since given it up (though I may pick it back up in the future). I learnt GCSE Spanish in a few weeks, and considered it a fairly boring language. I tried Italian, but don't really have the motivation. I also did Latin for about six years. I'm fairly sick of the Romance languages. :p: Sadly, I've never been to the countries (apart from a quick school trip to France, but I never spoke any French) because we've never had the money.
Reply 53
Yes, we can. Never give up! Never too late!
Reply 54
jr82
Chinese is a great language!!

I've learnt some Chinese through this way, and have talked to people online in Chinese. Next year I'm also going to university to do Chinese too :smile:

I am great hearing from you that you learn Chinese. I am Chinese. If you need help, anytime you are welcome to ask.:smile:
Reply 55
La Esmerelda
How long did it take you to learn Romanian?

OP I'm trying to self-teach Spanish as well, I'm sure we could help each other or something. Are you starting from scratch?
So far I've started listening to Spanish songs and speaking with Spanish pen pals by email has helped me learn lots of little words like "it" or "there". But its much better to have speaking practice-if you don't get that you'll never learn.

I kind of learnt "off and on", stopping and then starting again later. It was only when I started using it for a job I used to have that I started building up my fluency - because as you say, speaking practice is essential.

I'm studying for a GCSE in Spanish in my spare time, as it happens! Though I haven't listened to songs, that method doesn't seem to work for me. I've stuck to ploughing through grammar books and a dictionary, as well as listening to radio. A combination of those three methods seems to work best for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending