The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think sociology would complement them well :smile:

Yes, go for Sociology. :yep:
Maths
don't do german if you got a B in it at GCSE. sorry, but there's no way you'd be able to cope. it gets a lot harder at A Level and you need an A/A* in at at GCSE really.
I think you should do whatever subject is your favourite. Don't listen to people telling you that Universities prefer different subjects... I do History, Psychology and Theatre Studies and have got into 4 of my University choices so far (all ranking 5-25 in the country). What you want to do isn't that competitive, doesn't need really academic subjects or anything so just go for things you enjoy. If you change your mind along the way about what you want to do it probably won't matter (unless you want to do something majorly scientific really). Go for whatever you enjoy, you'll do much better at it as well :smile:
Reply 24
On the language front, although I'm aware that german is particularly difficult at A level, I don't believe that there's much correlation between GCSE and A level results for languages in general.

Personally, I know many people who achieved A/A* at GCSE for french, german or spanish but did badly at AS/A2. Conversely, myself included, there are some people who have got B/C at GCSE but improved their grade at AS/A2.

Just something to bare in mind, that's all. Like someone said already, a language is a really useful A level to have, especially for a Teacher.
Reply 25
Skadoosh
And what if the OP doesn't like maths, a science (already taking biology, mind) english, or history?

It's all well and good that these subjects are seen as traditional by some Universities, but frankly if the OP has no interest in these subjects or is more keen on pursuing a career in a completely different area, then there's no point wasting an A level choice, no matter how respected the subjects may be.

I'm just saying, if the OP were to apply to Russell Group or Oxbridge universities, which I'd expect with those GCSE results, then it'd be helpful to have the more traditional subjects as part of their selection, as most of the competition will.
Reply 26
Maths for a contrast :smile:
from your gcse grades i reckon english lit or history? :smile:
oh and people saying RE is regarded badly - it isn't... Psych is a biiiit soft so if you wanted to change it you could change it to something else. no real need though
Rosamund123
don't do german if you got a B in it at GCSE. sorry, but there's no way you'd be able to cope. it gets a lot harder at A Level and you need an A/A* in at at GCSE really.

Rubbish
I know people who got Bs at GCSE German and got high As at AS/A2
and I know people who got As/A*s and got Cs and Ds at AS and A2

It's about how much you work.

I was a B candidate for French (my gcse overall was a few marks into the A, getting A*BBB - cheated on the A* ha) and I got 91% at AS so...
jismith1989
Don't worry, I couldn't be bothered forming an adverb by the looks of it either. :cool:

Haha, I didn't even bother to notice that!

Now top that for lazy :biggrin:
SiaSiaSia
Rubbish

I was a B candidate for French (my gcse overall was a few marks into the A, getting A*BBB - cheated on the A* ha) and I got 91% at AS so...

I think there's a lot of truth in this :yep:

Thing is that if you find you're working 24/7 and really hard in order to get a B, then it probably ain't happening.
Yet if a B is awarded to you due to general apathy and suchlike, then when one's proverbial socks are pulled up, it'll probably be a good run :biggrin:
Reply 31
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm still undecided. For my 4th option it's probably going to be between: maths, business, applied business, english lit & (possibly english language if my school decide to do the course as many want to). Any thoughts on which subject out of those?
SiaSiaSia
Rubbish

that's really good, but tbh I think you're the exception rather than the rule. it can't be denied that language A levels are more of a step up from GCSE to A Level than some other A Levels. if the OP is willing to work really hard, I'm sure they'd do fine... :rolleyes:

I just won't ask about the cheating :confused:
Reply 33
Rosamund123
that's really good, but tbh I think you're the exception rather than the rule. it can't be denied that language A levels are more of a step up from GCSE to A Level than some other A Levels. if the OP is willing to work really hard, I'm sure they'd do fine... :rolleyes:

I just won't ask about the cheating :confused:

I'm guessing she's referring to the controlled condition coursework.
Small123
I'm guessing she's referring to the controlled condition coursework.

no!
our school didn't do coursework, it saw it as the doss way out

i cheated (ish) on the oral haha
Reply 35
SiaSiaSia
no!
our school didn't do coursework, it saw it as the doss way out

i cheated (ish) on the oral haha

I love the coursework, I'm on 60/60 for spanish = 25% of the marks already :p:!!
How can you cheat on an oral :s-smilie:?
Reply 36
emmakh123
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm still undecided. For my 4th option it's probably going to be between: maths, business, applied business, english lit & (possibly english language if my school decide to do the course as many want to). Any thoughts on which subject out of those?

Maths is helpful for pretty much everything. If you want to be a primary school teacher, I don't believe there are any specific subjects required. It's probably best to get a broad grounding as you have to teach everything.

Latest