The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

First Year Maths Past Papers And Shizzle Brap Brap

Scroll to see replies

Burn.

Foundations 2008, Q3: What is the usual name for the set of all equivalence classes?

Spoiler

That stuff isn't in the lecture notes :no:

EDIT: FML it is :emo:. It's in the Philosophical Remarks section which 'Does not introduce anything rigorous or examinable'.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 81
Hathlan
I wrote up Q1 foundations 2006 then these people who were in my house wanted to look at pictures of horse boxes and I had one line left to do and they closed the window. So everyone can go die.

I hate to be the one to say this, but Ctrl+Shift+T brings closed tabs back up in Chrome and Opera...
Reply 82
Foundations 2006

Question 1
(a) State the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic

(b)7Z3Z7\mathbb{Z} \cap 3\mathbb{Z} is an additive subgroup of Z\mathbb{Z}. Which additive subgroup is it?

(c) State (without proof) De Morgan's Laws for sets A, B and their complements.

(d) Which of the prepositions (i)-(iv) is logically equivalent to PQ P \rightarrow Q
(i) ¬(PQ)\lnot (P \lor Q)
(ii) P(¬Q) P \lor (\lnot Q)
(iii) (¬P)Q(\lnot P) \lor Q
(iv) (¬P)(¬Q)(\lnot P) \lor (\lnot Q)

(e) Which of the factors (x+2), (x-3) and (x-1) divide the polynomial x45x313x2+77x60x^4-5x^3-13x^2+77x-60 without remainder?

(f) Prove, for integers 1kn1 \leq k \leq n , that

(nk1)+(nk)=(n+1k)\begin{pmatrix} n \\ k-1 \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} n+1 \\ k \end{pmatrix}

[You may assume that (nk)=n!k!(nk)!\begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}

(g) Give examples of well-defined functions f:ZZ f: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z} which are:
(i) surjective but not injective;
(ii) injective but not surjective;
(iii) neither injective nor surjective;
(iv) bijective.

(h) What precisely does it mean to say that the cardinality of two finite sets, A and B, is equal?

(i) If α\alpha is the permutation (1234) and β\beta is the permutation (125) then write the compostion αβ\alpha\beta in disjoint cycle notation.

(j) What conditions must a set G with a binary operation satisfy in order to be a group?

(k) Calculate 1718mod1917^{18}mod19

Spoiler

Reply 83
Foundations 2006

Question 2
(a) Prove by induction:

12+22+52+...(2n+1)2=13(n+1)(2n+1)(2n+3) 1^2 + 2^2+5^2+... (2n+1)^2 = \frac{1}{3}(n+1)(2n+1)(2n+3)

Spoiler

(b) Find the highest common factor d=hcf{720, 5670}. Find integers a and b such that d= 720a+5670b. Show your working clearly (for both parts of this question).

Spoiler

Hathlan
brapbrap

all seems good.
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html try this for your symbol needs.

\displaystyle\mapsto
Reply 85
Foundations 2006

Question 3
(a) What is the remainder on division of (x3+3x2+2x+1)(x^3+3x^2+2x+1) by (x2+2x3)(x^2+2x-3)?

Spoiler

(b) (x3+3x2+2x+1)(x^3+3x^2+2x+1) is exactly divisble by (x2+bxc)(x^2+bx-c) if and only if two equations in b and c are satisfied. Find the equations. [You do not need to find the values of b and c that satisfy them.]

Spoiler

Hathlan
seems kk.

thread name change :biggrin:

And check out your new photo :smile:
Kolya
I hate to be the one to say this, but Ctrl+Shift+T brings closed tabs back up in Chrome and Opera...

And Firefox and IE 8. :h:
2008 is a :snow::snow::snow::snow: paper with a question on both groups and equivalence relations.
TheTallOne
And Firefox and IE 8. :h:
2008 is a :snow::snow::snow::snow: paper with a question on both groups and equivalence relations.

Geddit done. You said you had that paper covered.
Reply 89
Foundations 2006

Question 4

(a) Define the compostion g o f of two functions f:ABf:A \rightarrow B and g:BCg:B \rightarrow C.

Spoiler

(b) Prove that if f and g are injective, then g o f is also injective.

Spoiler

(c) Prove that if g o f is injective then f is injective, but give an example (of functions f, g and sets A, B, C) to show that g o f can be injective without g being injective.

Spoiler

(d) Outline the proof (without assuming anything about the cardinality of the two sets involved) that there is no surjection f from the natural numbers to the unit interval (0,1)R(0,1) \subset R

Spoiler

Reply 90
2006 is a joke tbh. What can I say, I get luckeh. :merryxmas:
I can't type latex on a phone
Reply 92
Analysis 2006

Question 1

(a) Give an example of an unbounded sequence that has a convergent subsequence.

(b) Give an example of an unbounded sequence that has no convergent subsequence.

(c) Give an example of a null sequence (an)(a_n) such that the series an\sum a_n does not converge.

(d) Find a value N such that n2n2+11103 \begin{vmatrix} \frac{n^2}{n^2+1}-1 \end{vmatrix} \leq 10^{-3} for every value of nNn \geq N .

(e) Let (an)(a_n) be a sequence such that an2n |a_n| \leq 2^{-n} for every n>0n>0. Find a value N such that n=Nan103 \begin{vmatrix} \sum_{n=N}^ \infty a_n \end{vmatrix} \leq 10^{-3}

(f) Give an example of a sequence which is not a Cauchy sequence but has the property that for every ϵ>0 \epsilon > 0 and every N>0N>0 there exists n>Nn>N and m>2mm>2m such that anamϵ \begin{vmatrix} a_n-a_m \end{vmatrix} \leq \epsilon .

(g) Give an example of two sequences (an)(a_n) and (bn)(b_n) such that the sequence (cn)(c_n) defined by cn=an+bnc_n=a_n+b_n converges to 1 but neither (an)(a_n) or (bn)(b_n) converge.

(h) Give an example of a sequence (an)(a_n) that tends to infinity but is neither increasing nor eventually increasing.

(i) Give an example of a bounded sequence (an)(a_n) such that an+1an \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} tends to 1 but (an)(a_n) doesn't converge.

(j) Say whether the following statement is true or false. "For every real number a there exists (an)(a_n) of irrational numbers such that limnan=a\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n=a."

(k) Say whether the following statement is true or false. If it is false, give a counterexample. "Let (an)(a_n) be a postive decreasing null sequence. The series n=1(1)nan \sum_{n=1}^ \infty (-1)^na_n can always be rearranged so that it converges to 1."

(l) Say whether the following statement is true or false. If it is false, give a counterexample. "If a sequence (an)(a_n) does not converge to 0, then there exists ϵ>0 \epsilon>0 such that an>ϵ|a_n|> \epsilon for every n."

(m) Say whether the following statement is true or false. If it is false, give a counterexample. "Let f be a postive decreasing function such that 0f(x)dx \int_0^ \infty f(x) dx is finite and let (an)(a_n) be a sequence such that anf(n)a_n \leq f(n) for every n. Then, the series an \sum a_n converges."

(n) Say whether the following statement is true or false. If it is false, give a counterexample. "If the sequence (an)(a_n) converges to 0, then the series (1)nan\sum (-1)^na_n converges."

(o) Say whether the following statement is true or false. If it is false, give a counterexample. "The inequality xyx+y |x-y| \leq |x|+|y| holds for every two real numbers x and y."

Spoiler

= (1)2n1n\sum (-1)^{2n} \frac{1}{n}=1n\sum \frac{1}{n} which does not converge.

(o) True
Reply 93
Analysis 2006

Question 2

(a) Give the definition of “the sequence (an)(a_n) converges to a”.

Spoiler

(b) Let (an)(a_n) and (bn)(b_n) be two sequences such that limnan=a\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = a where a>0 and (bn)(b_n) diverges to infinity. Prove that the sequence (cn)(c_n) defined by cn=anbnc_n=a_n \cdot b_n diverges to infinity.

Spoiler

(c) For each of the following sequences, say whether they converge, diverge to ++ \infty, diverge to - \infty or none of these. For those that converge compute their limit.

an=n2+42n3n2a_n=\frac{n^2+4}{2n-3n^2}

bn=1n(n2+11) b_n = \frac{1}{n}(\sqrt{n^2+1}-1)

cn=n3+sin(n)5n2 c_n= \frac{\sqrt{n^3+sin(n)}-5n}{2}

Spoiler

(d) Give the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

Spoiler

(e) Prove that the sum of two Cauchy sequences is Cauchy.

Spoiler

Reply 94
wtf none of my latex works wtf wtf :frown:
Hathlan
wtf none of my latex works wtf wtf :frown:

No working for me either :s-smilie:

\to
I'd give you a fail for that.

:O

MY SIGNATURE.
Totally Tom
MY SIGNATURE.

is n=1n=totally1\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{n= \text{totally} } 1 rad

:perv:
Reply 98
How bizarre :eyeball:

Also, how on earth can LaTeX be /dangerous/ ? :s
Totally Tom
tbh, the maths posse on TSR seems to be you two...

I died...

Quick Reply

Latest