The Student Room Group
Reply 1
romeosutton
I am currently in year 12. Next year my school will force me to take an as level in general studies. I am likely to get all A/A* grades but am now beginning to wonder whether General Studies will have a detrimental impact on my application.
If i get a bad grade will universities look down on me, and more importantly do i even have to include it in my application?
Yes you will have to include it, so it's a good idea to do the best you can with it, if you can't persuade your school to let you off doing it all.
Reply 2
Providing you don't get a U in it and fail the subject, then you will have to include it in your application; in this case it would be a good diea to work at it.

Try and persuade your school to let you skip it though - make them aware of how useless it is for you.
Why not just do it?

It isn't as though you actually have to do any work for it - just turning up to the exam, having a vague idea of the exam marks scheme and assessment objectives, having an imagination and being able to write is enough to get you a decent mark. My college didn't actually provide lessons for it, we all were just put in the AS exams in the Jan of year 13 and then the A2 in the summer but there wasn't any classroom time allocated. I still managed to get full UMS marks in 4 units so its not really going to be bad for your other grades because it doesn't mean you've got less time to focus on your other subjects as there isn't any actual work to be done for the subject, and there isn't any revision either.
oxymoronic
Why not just do it?

It isn't as though you actually have to do any work for it - just turning up to the exam, having a vague idea of the exam marks scheme and assessment objectives, having an imagination and being able to write is enough to get you a decent mark. My college didn't actually provide lessons for it, we all were just put in the AS exams in the Jan of year 13 and then the A2 in the summer but there wasn't any classroom time allocated. I still managed to get full UMS marks in 4 units so its not really going to be bad for your other grades because it doesn't mean you've got less time to focus on your other subjects as there isn't any actual work to be done for the subject, and there isn't any revision either.

Congrats on your marks :smile: However it doesn't apply to everyone as my ex got a U in one exam and full marks in the other? lol. That shows how useless GS is.
microfatcat
Congrats on your marks :smile: However it doesn't apply to everyone as my ex got a U in one exam and full marks in the other? lol. That shows how useless GS is.

Same as me - I got an E in the science related ones and As in artsy ones that I can do well.... but my point is you don't actually have to put any work into GS to get an alright mark so I don't understand why people seem to think it is going to cause so many problems in their A level year just because they take a couple of extra exams. You don't actually need to do any work for GS so you may as well take it rather than spend time fighting against your school which will probably take up more time than if you just turned up and sat the exam in the first place. Some universities take it anyway (Glasgow and Lancaster accepted it for my degree) and even if none of them do, is it really going to kill you having another A level grade even if it is "useless"?

Latest

Trending

Trending