The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry Practicals

To what level do you need to know the practicals? I have learnt all the principles and things like recrystallisation etc. but are you expected to know e.g. the full method of producing an ester, preparing cyclohexene from cyclohexanol etc. or just the ideas that go with them? Thanks.
Original post by Har6547
To what level do you need to know the practicals? I have learnt all the principles and things like recrystallisation etc. but are you expected to know e.g. the full method of producing an ester, preparing cyclohexene from cyclohexanol etc. or just the ideas that go with them? Thanks.

Generally the questions aren't asking about a full method, they always describe the method to you and ask about improvements or small details and calculations. Personally I'm not learning the required practicals fully just reagents, general ideas, any problems and suggestions to improve the method beacuse these questions are what they ask. Apparatus diagrams are becoming more common questions too.
Reply 2
Original post by Har6547

Heya!
I would recommend going over the practicals you've learnt and just making sure you understand them (why they are done and how they work) + know calculations and etc. They might also ask for errors or improvements and etc which you should have covered as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest