The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You mean terrorists aren't demons who sprout from the ground on the day of the attack? :redface:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
Knowledge is power. Should everyone be allowed to have access to this source of power without authorities knowing who is going to use/abuse it?
Reply 82
"It said a preliminary FBI analysis found that the device contained PETN, also known as pentaerythritol, a high explosive."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8430699.stm
:eek:

scary stuff! Just wondering if the security services knew of such a substance and banned it before this incident :rolleyes: ...probably....but never trust desk cronies, hehe.

Yeah although "Rich boy bomber based in Londonistan" in my personal opinion is an insult to the intelligence of the reader, they could have come up with something more witty. Londonistan are they going to attach stan to the end of every British city to add effect. Whats I find ridiculous is that the "rich boy" is from Nigeria, there is no relation what so ever to Pakistan. O well I can go on for hours, its pure low quality journalism.
Reply 85
Statement update on attempted act of terrorism on Northwest Airlines Flight 253

26 December 2009

Regarding the attempted act of terrorism on Northwest Airlines Flight 253, UCL President and Provost, Professor Malcolm Grant, has issued the following statement:

”Based on information now in the public domain, we have good reason to believe that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, now detained in the USA, is a former UCL student who studied Engineering with Business Finance and graduated in 2008. UCL is deeply saddened by these events. This is a university founded on equality and religious tolerance, and strongly committed today to respect for human rights. We are cooperating fully with the authorities in their further investigations.“

Updated: 18.00, 27 December

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0912/09122601

Should UCL apologize that the bomb made by an engineering graduate did not go off properly?
Hatatitla
I would seriously think of reconsidering my application to UCL after this incident.

I guess it will be a blow to UCL's prestige. Just imagine the admissions people who have carefully considered the guy's application and gave him an offer :O

If anything, the only blow to UCL's prestige stems from the fact that the mechanical engineering graduate failed to detonate the bomb. :p:
azuretimm

Should UCL apologize that the bomb made by an engineering graduate did not go off properly?

Oh dammit you stole my joke and posted it before me somehow!
Reply 88
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8432050.stm
"US media reports said the man was Nigerian and had locked himself in the plane's bathroom."
Another crank! (copycat maybe?)

This just made me laugh. Nigerians have a bad habit of locking themselves in plane loos! :rolleyes:
Reply 89
Most people who place comments such as UCL's reputation is tarnished and how this is going to reflect badly on UCL, are students from King's, Imperial and wanna-be UCL students at Mat or City and etc. Everyone of a sane mind knows that this has nothing to do with the quality and prestige of UCL as an academic instution. Every university, Oxford and Cambridge included, not to mention top ranking USA universites, can be harbouring potential terrorists. We never know what others are like and university can't do psychological check ups on thousands of students. Even if they did, it wouldn't mean a thing.
I am also humoured by media stereotyping students at UCL as somewhat upscale and posh and elitest. This generalisation never ceases to impress me. There are as many working class students at UCL as there are those from middle and upper middle classes, and perhaps even more of those from working class. Not to mention foreign students coming from whatever background studying at UCL on scholarships. No offence to anyone, universities should be open to everyone on the grounds of their academic potential and not social background, but this generalisation is just a tad funny.
I hope someone agrees with me.
Musicolo
Most people who place comments such as UCL's reputation is tarnished and how this is going to reflect badly on UCL, are students from King's, Imperial and wanna-be UCL students at Mat or City and etc. Everyone of a sane mind knows that this has nothing to do with the quality and prestige of UCL as an academic instution. Every university, Oxford and Cambridge included, not to mention top ranking USA universites, can be harbouring potential terrorists. We never know what others are like and university can't do psychological check ups on thousands of students. Even if they did, it wouldn't mean a thing.
I am also humoured by media stereotyping students at UCL as somewhat upscale and posh and elitest. This generalisation never ceases to impress me. There are as many working class students at UCL as there are those from middle and upper middle classes, and perhaps even more of those from working class. Not to mention foreign students coming from whatever background studying at UCL on scholarships. No offence to anyone, universities should be open to everyone on the grounds of their academic potential and not social background, but this generalisation is just a tad funny.
I hope someone agrees with me.

If the media are doing that, I agree.
:eek: He was the head of the Isoc between 2006 - 08, it's on Sky News, I'm quite surprised actually.
Reply 92
Bubbles*de*Milo
:eek: He was the head of the Isoc between 2006 - 08, it's on Sky News, I'm quite surprised actually.

HAHA I was trying to access their website to check out and see if the ISoc had put out a statement :rolleyes: Guess what? Website is down :p:
Bubbles*de*Milo

This is actually quite shocking! Jokes aside the fact that he was president of Isoc in the past and now a terrorist says quite a few things. Security at UCL should be increased, and the society investigated.
maze.e
This is actually quite shocking! Jokes aside the fact that he was president of Isoc in the past and now a terrorist says quite a few things. Security at UCL should be increased, and the society investigated.

It probably is and if not it deffo will be, I know the QMUL one is under surveillance.
Bubbles*de*Milo
It probably is and if not it deffo will be, I know the QMUL one is under surveillance.

It's a bit worrying that these student societies may be a breading ground for future terrorist. I think there's going to be an increase in surveillance of students, which is needed. I think if they can stop the indoctrination then they may be a progress. However they need to begin with these societies, I think UCLU has failed, someone with the views that the Bomber held should not have even been able to run a society. I just hope the US and UK authorities learn from mistakes, and improve our security.
maze.e
It's a bit worrying that these student societies may be a breading ground for future terrorist. I think there's going to be an increase in surveillance of students, which is needed. I think if they can stop the indoctrination then they may be a progress. However they need to begin with these societies, I think UCLU has failed, someone with the views that the Bomber held should not have even been able to run a society. I just hope the US and UK authorities learn from mistakes, and improve our security.

I doubt he was screaming 'Death to the Kafir' when he was head of the Isoc tbh.
Bubbles*de*Milo
I doubt he was screaming 'Death to the Kafir' when he was head of the Isoc tbh.

You have a good point, I guess we just have to see how the authorities react to this recent plot.
Reply 98
maze.e
You have a good point, I guess we just have to see how the authorities react to this recent plot.

The only way to be sure is to ban islam :p: . Make everyone into Atheists!
Reply 99
In addition, UCL Department of Mechanical Engineering have issued this statement:

"Given the intense media interest surrounding Mr Umar Abdulmutallab, the Department of Mechanical Engineering, UCL, can confirm that a person of this name and description attended the Department as a full time student between 2005 and 2008, and studied for an undergraduate degree in Engineering with Business Finance. The Department's association with him ended in June 2008 after he successfully graduated.

"The Department in common with UCL admits students solely on the basis of their academic abilities without regard to a person's political, racial or religious background. During his time on the course Mr Abdulmutallab never gave his tutors any cause for concern, and was a well mannered, quietly spoken, polite and able young man. We are deeply shocked by the recent news concerning Mr Abdulmutallab.

"The Department is currently cooperating with the authorities in their investigations, and as such cannot issue any further information covering Mr Abdulmutallab's period at UCL."

Updated: 19.00, 28 December

Latest

Trending

Trending