The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, most people send them off between September and January. As long as it's in between those dates it will be fine!
Reply 2
is it true that the earlier you send off the application the better chance you will be offered a place??
Reply 3
bs.uk
is it true that the earlier you send off the application the better chance you will be offered a place??

well oxbridge have there own date which is earlier but also i got some of my offers and interviews before the january close date which tells me if you only apply in january some of the places will have gone and your chances will have decreased.
Reply 4
bs.uk

In theory, everyone who applies before the deadline will be given an equal consideration. But there is no point in delaying sending your application once you have finished it. That doesn't mean rush it though!
Reply 5
Oxbridge and medicine have earlier deadlines.

Most people at my college sent off their forms in late september and october. There were a few really early people though. Don't think anyone applied as late as january allthough you can technically do so.

What we were told is that if you send off you application early and beat the rush the admissions tutors will have more time to take over your application and will put more thought into it. They will also have in mind that they have "x" amount of spaces to fill.

If you leave it late then your application may get given slightly less attention and also the admission tutor might be in the situation of having 4 places left and 10 people applying for them.

I suppose technically it shouldn't matter but we were told this psychological influence gives the early applicants a bit of an advantage.

+ the interviews etc are from november onwards, and you usually get invited around after receiving an offer so by applying later you will miss out, not perhaps on an offer but on a intro day.
Reply 6
It's supposed to be fair and everyone is supposed to have equal consideration between the dates (as Juno said) ...in saying that I would say that its better sending it earlier when the unis are not as busy and they could give you a lower offer. I was given a lower offer for one uni and I sent mine off mid October compared to a friend for the same course possibly because she sent hers off two months later...we will just never know why! But I would say it would be more of an advantage to send it off as early as you can
Reply 7
bs.uk

If you send your application earlier, the admission tutors can spend more time looking at it. Therefore, you will get an offer faster than other student. Try to send it between the months of September to December. Sending it in January before the 15 is alright, but places will start to fill up. The deadline is on the 15 of January to be precise. Medicine, dentistry, and vetanarian science courses are October 15.

sokas
It's supposed to be fair and everyone is supposed to have equal consideration between the dates (as Juno said) ...in saying that I would say that its better sending it earlier when the unis are not as busy and they could give you a lower offer. I was given a lower offer for one uni and I sent mine off mid October compared to a friend for the same course possibly because she sent hers off two months later...we will just never know why! But I would say it would be more of an advantage to send it off as early as you can

A lowered offer when you send your application early? :eek: Mine didn't happen. I sent mine in early October too.
Reply 8
bs.uk
when do most people send off there university applications? the opening date is 1st september but my college has told me to wait till i come back and theyll sort it all out.

sent mine off on september 25th or something...school processed it on like 15th october:eek: - lazy buggers!

a girl i know sent it off on the first day back...sep 2nd!
Reply 9
Phil23
sent mine off on september 25th or something...school processed it on like 15th october:eek: - lazy buggers!

a girl i know sent it off on the first day back...sep 2nd!

My application was done in the first week of October and sent it during the second or third week of October. I guess my head of sixth form wants to send a batch instead of one application...
Reply 10
I'd recommend sending it during the relatively quieter period - after Oxbridge applications have been sent off, which is about early November. Worked for me anyhoo, I got all my offers by the end of December that way.
The deadline is 15 January, and even though my school has made us work on our applications online for weeks now and we spent weeks working on personal statements before that, I suspect most people in my year will send them off in December or January. I'd say it's best to get it done as early as you can. Take your time over it and make sure it's as good as it can be, but don't leave it until the last minute either. Aim to get most, if not all, of your application done over the summer and then you'll just need your teachers to write your reference when you go back.
Reply 12
You will get most of your offers by December or in January when you send your application early and before the deadline.
Reply 13
Well its kinda best to send them as early as possible so the uni u apply too get to see ur application earlier and if they make an offer, u will get in.

Latest