The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

International Foundation Year (College choice/Progression)

Hi everyone!!

I'm a student from Singapore wanting to enrol into the IFY.. In the IFY Brochure, it lists that it's available at Queen's Campus only. However, I've read some threads here that if I wish to progress into an undergraduate degree course that is being taught at the Durham City campuses, I can do the Foundation Year of that degree programme there (in the Durham City campuses). How true is this?

There may be a difference in IFY and Foundation Year that I do not know of, so please pardon me if I have mistakened!

Another question I have is whether upon completion of the Foundation Year, can I progress on to the second year of a related degree programme? Is there the possibility or non at all even if excellent grades are achieved? I ask mainly because cost will be a problem for me if I have to do a Foundation Year + 3 years for the degree programme.. I didnt see any scholarships that I can be applicable for :frown:

Thanks everyone! And wishing y'all a Happy New Year's in advance!

Natalie
Reply 1
The foundation year is at Queens Campus and not at all in Durham City. If your progression degree is in Durham City then you move there for the degree.

If you are having to do a foundation year then I highly doubt they would accept you onto the 2nd year of a degree course but never say never!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Foundation year is at Queens Campus. You will be there if you do a foundation year. If you wish to progress to a Durham city degree you move there after completion of the foundation degree.

No, you won't be able to do a foundation year and then progress onto the second year of a related degree programme, because you'll skip out a year, which isn't allowed. The first year of a degree will contain modules which are necessary in order to continue to the second year onwards.

It might be worth contacting the university if you want more information.
Reply 3
Hi Cerrith & Aula,

Thank you for your replies! Tbh I am quite confused when some universities mention being able to progress onto 2nd year from a Foundation Year (with excellent grades), are they referring to 2nd year of a 4-year course (foundation+3year actual degree course duration), or 2nd year of an actual degree course? I have a diploma now and some universities structure their courses to have some subjects "just to make up the credits" so I thought I may be able to get advance standing given the credits I have already gained at my diploma level.

I really want to do science in the UK and at a university with very good research facilities/quality but unfortunately, it does not seem possible if there is no way to "speed up" my learning and finish the course in 3 years (without any scholarship)..

I have tried emailing the universities and most did not bother to reply. I should be taking that as a bad sign, one that means they will not accept me, right?
Reply 4
Up to now, there has not been a foundation programme option in Durham City. However, from October 2010 foundation year students will be studying in Durham City as well as at the Queen's Campus. This will include both home and overseas fees students. Details of the foundation programmes available are available from http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/ which I guess you've looked at already. If you want to do the IFY programme specifically, then that is still located only at Queen's but if you're planning to apply for a foundation programme leading to a science subject that is taught at Durham City, then you would study the foundation year of that programme at Durham City. The distinction between the two is set out at http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/international/

There is no possibility of skipping level 1 of the main degree however well you do in the foundation year (level 0), since the content of level 1 is crucial as a base before you embark on level 2. For Durham, therefore, you would need to be able to fund four years of study. Good luck.
Reply 5
Thank you astro67 :smile:

As of now, I will skip any thoughts of skipping Year 1 because I think that's an important year.. I was desperate because of cost issues but that can be solved :P

Thankfully, durham's degrees can be done in three years. Any more than that, I can really forgo my desire of studying in durham..

A question about writing my personal statement: If I want to study science because I either don't like to or can't study anything else (Don't like business-related degrees, have not studied engineering and do not have interest in design), should I put that in?

Latest