The Student Room Group

LSE - MSc Development Studies (Research)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CalumAH
Firstly, it does not mean a First Class degree. 'Good first' degree equates to a 2.1, like the other LSE courses (I would assume) but because development is a varied topic they obviously can have a wider field of applicants. I've been given a conditional offer from LSE (Development Studies) and the requirements are a 2.1.

I also noticed the wording for these requirements and wondered what it meant. I have a couple of questions though, and it would be great if you could help me out. I'm currently an undergrad student at King's, about to go into my final year of study doing BSc Mathematics with Management and Finance. Within the last year I became quite interested in international development and decided I wanted to pursue a masters/career in this. Obviously LSE was a top choice and I would like to apply in the coming year. My question is, for a highly ranked uni like LSE, when they say a 2:1 requirement, does that mean that they usually take applicants with a 2:1, or is that a bare minimum and what they're really looking for are firsts? Would I need to achieve a first in my second year [as those are the grades I'd apply with during my final year] in order to stand a chance for a conditional offer at the very least If you don't mind, can I ask what your grades/degree/experience was, given that you were made an offer? And if there is anything I could do at this point to strengthen my chances for when I do apply?

Anyone with any useful advice on the subject, most welcome!
Reply 21
I got into both - L.S.E - Msc in Development studies and Sciences Po for Msc in Int. Development. I am confused as to opt for LSE - which ranks ways above ScPo , has a better brand image , or choose ScPo-has a more holistic 2 year course .Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks !:smile:
Reply 22
I personally feel that 2 year program is better than a one year course.In addition, there should be an opportunity for the student to specialize in one or two concentrations. Too academic a course is good for those aiming for further studies/research; practitioners should opt for a well-balanced course
Original post by nina82
I would say just try and apply! I think you have quite a good chance with your publications and work experience. I don't exactly know what the requirements for the research MSc are but I received an offer for MSc Development Management and certainly not because of my grades but rather because of work experience which I wrote about in my personal statement. So, if you make sure you have a brilliant personal statement and research proposal you should be fine. Good luck!

Hi Nina,
I'm currently applying to development management at LSE. Do you mind sharing your SOP or some experience with me so I can get some idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending