The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cpj1987
If it were me in this situation, I would continue to push the issue of when the time will be right, to get a more detailed response.

If my boyfriend was upset about something, I'd hope that he could trust me enough to talk about it. I don't know how long you've been with your girlfriend or how strong your relationship is, but if it's something you intended to last I'd question the situation more.

I really wouldn't advise pushing this. It may be a personal reason why she's on them, maybe dealing with previous abuse, or other medical reasons which she wants to keep to herself. Anti-depressants aren't always used for depression, and if it is it can be a useful tool and effective.

It shouldn't matter why or whether she's taking them, she's taking them- be thankful OP it's not something much worse!
I think you should just support her, make her feel better, and know she has you to trust, its her decision.. obviously. you could maybe do things to make her less depressed, suprise her, let her know your there and caring for her. lift up her mood and become her anti-depressant so she doesnt need to take them! :woo:
Anonymous
I have some crazy idea that there's got to be an alternative... I thought it only makes it worse. There's evidence that ADs don't actually work and they are like placebos.

There is some evidence, but new research about anti-ds comes out all the time. On the whole, though, anti-ds are great for raising motivation, enabling you to do both day-to-day things and dealing with your problems. Even if it is just a placebo effect, a number of people find some benefit to them.

There are other alternatives, but some people need the kick-up-the-bum that anti-ds provide, to actually find and utilise these alternatives. Is your girlf. in therapy?

It does sound like you're concerned for her, but remember that she is under medical supervision with taking them - and it's good that she's said she's feeling better from them, too. Talk to her openly about your concerns (that there are alternatives, and that you have concerns about their efficacy) - without telling her just to give them up, and let her explain herself to you, if she wants to - but try not to force her.

Good luck.
Reply 23
Doodahdoo
There is some evidence,

There are other alternatives, but some people need the kick-up-the-bum that anti-ds provide, to actually find and utilise these alternatives. Is your girlf. in therapy?

Good luck.

She isn't in any sort of therapy group but said she was before but said she didn't really believe in it. Thanks so much for the advice.
Antimatter
People don't just take them for 'depression'.

Agreed, some of them actually taste pretty good.
What's the problem here? They're her meds, her problem, and as far as I can tell nothing to do with you. People think that merely talking about problems will be some magical cure; you guys clearly don't understand depression. ADs are often necessary.
Reply 26
why does it bother you op? shes obviously having difficulties in her life and shes on them for a reason. stop being a dick and support her
Reply 27
Of course, it doesen't really matter that you think there may be a better solution, depression is a mental illness, anti-depressants cure/treat it.

The kind of ignorance you show of depression and mental illness can kill you know, untreated depression is a major risk factor for suicide.

Edit: Depression isn't always because of life problems, it's biological in the majority of cases.
Anonymous
please keep anon or delete...

I've having a lot of trouble recently as i've discovered my girlfriend takes anti-depressants. She says it's not strong ones but I feel that there has to be another solution...

Please, what do you think?
(helpful comments please!)

I took a-ds for about 6 months to help me overcome bulimia and depression. They really ****** with my sleep patterns and made me a bit needy and hyper , so you need to be there for her if that happens to her , be understanding . She wouldnt have entered lightly into taking them , I know that I was dubious at first but they honestly helped and I only stopped tking them last week .
Don't be hard on her
Good luck x
The solution is the eradication of the problem.
Who's to say you're not the problem? :rolleyes:

anti-derepressants? I can't help but wonder how bad one has to be for the girlfriend to resort to such measures :awesome:
And you getting worked up about it isn't likely to make things any better.

If she's on them, she needs them, and the doctor will have most likely suggested her going on them in conjunction with a course of therapy, which works for some people and doesn't for others. If you hadn't noticed any major problems with her mood up till now, they're clearly working and you'd be a dick to mess around with them.

You can't 'fix' her. You might want to. By trying to force her to come off them you run the risk of making her much unhappier and as if she is not in control of her own life, and it will only make her problems worse. This is her illness, and she will get better when she gets better. You pressuring her to get better is going to do **** all to help.

Sorry if this sounds brash, but you really need to think more about what your girlfriend needs and less about your own personal preconceptions.
Reply 31
GemmyMonster
I feel you're an ass.

This, precisely. There is a massive stigma attached to depression and antidepressants, and I've no doubt that she has already had negative reactions from others that know about the antidepressants. You are supposed to be the most supportive person in her life, and you should be supporting her decision to take the antidepressants if she feels she needs them. If she doesn't want to discuss it then drop the subject. Pushing her for more information or to come off of the antidepressants will push her away from you and, to be honest, probably break up your relationship.
Reply 32
Matt_1892
Stop complaining and just support her.

This.
Reply 33
A lot of people take anti-depressants now-a-days, its not really a taboo anymore..at least i didnt think so.
Communist Daughter
Agreed, some of them actually taste pretty good.

So I'm not the only one then :smile:

To the OP, be a bit more understanding and empathetic eh? Yah?
Thank you for the rep, from whoever it was
:blush:
All you can do is support her and offer her suggestions. It sounds like she wants to take them and that they're working for her as she's overcome a lot of the depression so I'd just leave it.
Reply 37
make sweet love to her
Reply 38
It's none of your bloody business OP.
Doodahdoo
Thank you for the rep, from whoever it was
:blush:

And thanks to whoever neg-repped me, too. That's great, cheers.

Latest