The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matthew320
There is NO cheap insurance for 17 year olds in london, nothing under 8k.

Even though I, as a 17 y/o male living in SE London, have got £4k quotes and even some £3k ones (£3k with a classic car though, £4k with an old Micra).

Aviva!
Reply 581
Just a little note, I don't think postcode groups are all that accurate and useful. I priced up a quote living at Uni compared to the one I have now. My house is in a category C postcode and my Uni halls are in a category F area so I was expecting a big increase. In fact, with all factors the same even swapping the address several times, my Uni was £200 cheaper to live at! Tested with a few more category D and E postcodes where friends and family lived and all were considerably cheaper by about £200 compared to my home. In fact, I put a refer postcode in out of interest, and it was still cheaper than my category C street.
Original post by MSB.
You either have something positive to say or GTFO of my thread !

Something positive would be out of place in this whiny little thread...
Original post by MSB.
Really?!
You are 20yrs old, you have 1years no claims and you are being quoted that?
I have heard of people who are 17, just passed and insuring 1.7astras and 2.0 Golfs for about £1400 fully comp as a main driver!
It depends on the area mostly i 'm guessing.

Where do you live? what company gave you that quote? Why not try tpft? ring up directly the insurer

Yup, I did ring directly and that was the BEST quote from numerous companies. I live in a very rural area of suffolk where crime is non-existant. The "worst" crime for 50 miles around here was that someone put salt on the flower outside the post office.

I think the car may have something to do with it :colondollar:.

Will have to look into getting something as small as a 1.7.... :rolleyes:

I can get insured on a golf for £1100 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ConnorB
Wow, please do calm down, I dropped Economics for a reason, because it had as many rules that made sense as quantum physics.

Was merely a suggestion :smile:

Hah, that post wasn't meant to be aggressive, sorry if it seemed that way.
Reply 585
Original post by ily_em

I thought they changed that?

They have, but that change hasn't come into effect yet (I think it comes into effect in December or January)
Original post by thefunktopus69
Even though I, as a 17 y/o male living in SE London, have got £4k quotes and even some £3k ones (£3k with a classic car though, £4k with an old Micra).

Aviva!

Well, what classic car was it?

I just got a quote of £12k from aviva for this car.

so.. yeah. :/

EDIT:

Just tried comparethemarket, they gave me a TPFT quote of 7270.53 from eCar.

grrrrr..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Matthew320
Well, what classic car was it?

I just got a quote of £12k from aviva for this car.

so.. yeah. :/

EDIT:

Just tried comparethemarket, they gave me a TPFT quote of 7270.53 from eCar.

grrrrr..

Morris Minor 1000 1970 1l engine. With full licence, 1 additional driver and that's it I think. Used CompareTheMarket and the £3000 was from RAC.
I've ended up paying 3750 for fully comp with insurethebox on a 53 reg 206. Everybody else was quoting me double the price, they fit a telematics box into your car but that doesn't really bother me.
Yesterday I paid £2500 to insure a 1.2 renault clio 16v with 17 inch alloys and a spoiler XD :wink:

I got it with the post office and the cheapest quote before for the clio was ~£4000 :tongue:

I was going to get an 850cc austin mini which I thought was the cheapest to insure at £2500, but it turns out that with a bit of digging I could insure the clio for the same price.

I would rather the mini tbh, but the clio is more practical.
Reply 590
Original post by PapaShmurff
I've ended up paying 3750 for fully comp with insurethebox on a 53 reg 206. Everybody else was quoting me double the price, they fit a telematics box into your car but that doesn't really bother me.

Are you a student? How on earth do you afford that? You must of spent at least £4500 with car which is loads for a student.

If your in full time work then just ignore me :wink:
Reply 591
Just to contribute to this thread it looks like I will be getting a car after waiting 6 months after passing my driving test will be an amazing christmas for me ! .
The cost is as follows
£1626 for a VW polo 1.0 1999 cost of car £700 ish(18 year old male 0ncb)
Preety please with this as the cost of insurance after passing my test was
£3100 which I refuse to pay because its a joke and I don't have the money.

For those want cheaper insurance its eithiera sex change to female or wait
Don't know why not driving makes your insurancd cheaper as i will be really rusty when I start again but the saving was worth it.
Original post by Minardi
We seem to get endless threads asking about cheap car insurance, so this thread is to cover all the car insurance stuff, where to get cheap deals etc.

The best guide is provided by Money Saving Expert, and can be found by clicking this colourful text.

Any threads that pop up will be merged into this one. Any tips you feel should be added to the sticky, please PM me, and I'll take a look. Thanks :biggrin:

More useful tips on cheaper car insurance can be found HERE

my friend knows a site where car insurance is a little as £60 a month for 18 year olds, this is because they minitor your car, they know if you break the speed limit etc. but this would not bother me because its so cheap, you can still drive at any time of the day as well. if anyones interested i can try find the name of the company.
Reply 593
Original post by Ventura7
my friend knows a site where car insurance is a little as £60 a month for 18 year olds, this is because they minitor your car, they know if you break the speed limit etc. but this would not bother me because its so cheap, you can still drive at any time of the day as well. if anyones interested i can try find the name of the company.

Yes please!

I'm literally going crazy, I've typed in my details and read them over the phone countless times, im only insuring a 1.0 polo group 2, with parents as second drivers, and i havent found it cheaper than £6,000! what is wrong!
I'd like that box thing but the only ones I've seen monitor time of day etc which is annoying because starting uni ill be driving pretty late,
Please someone help me!
Reply 594
Original post by Ryan17.
Just to contribute to this thread it looks like I will be getting a car after waiting 6 months after passing my driving test will be an amazing christmas for me ! .
The cost is as follows
£1626 for a VW polo 1.0 1999 cost of car £700 ish(18 year old male 0ncb)
Preety please with this as the cost of insurance after passing my test was
£3100 which I refuse to pay because its a joke and I don't have the money.

For those want cheaper insurance its eithiera sex change to female or wait
Don't know why not driving makes your insurancd cheaper as i will be really rusty when I start again but the saving was worth it.

Can I ask what company this was with, and were you 3rd party? The cheapest I've found was 6k for a vw polo 1.0 :colonhash:
Reply 595
Elephant its all because I have held my licence 6 months that's the on,y reason its cheap and not £3000
I've just gotten my insurance with RAC for an 02 reg 1.0l Micra for £1211 fully Comp. Not too bad. Did have my provisional from 2007 to yesterday though... :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 597
Original post by Ryan17.
Elephant its all because I have held my licence 6 months that's the on,y reason its cheap and not £3000

How did you manage that? Can I ask do you live in London? Are you down as named driver? If not did you use your parents as main driver and if so did they have ncb? Did did you have the pass plus certificate. Cant seem to get anything for less than £3k. Ridiculous!! Thanks :confused:
Reply 598
Original post by feistym
How did you manage that? Can I ask do you live in London? Are you down as named driver? If not did you use your parents as main driver and if so did they have ncb? Did did you have the pass plus certificate. Cant seem to get anything for less than £3k. Ridiculous!! Thanks
:confused:

No the south coast cat B rates postcode
No I'm the main driver with my 2 parents as added drivers with 30 & 22 years no claim.
No I dont have pass plus doesn't reduce costs.

3k is what I was getting TIME YOU HAVE HELD YOUR LICENCE is the key try a quote with licence held for a year/ 6 months and watch the price drop.

hope this helps
Reply 599
Original post by Ryan17.
No the south coast cat B rates postcode
No I'm the main driver with my 2 parents as added drivers with 30 & 22 years no claim.
No I dont have pass plus doesn't reduce costs.

3k is what I was getting TIME YOU HAVE HELD YOUR LICENCE is the key try a quote with licence held for a year/ 6 months and watch the price drop.

hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. I passed my test in April, making it 6 months I've held my licence. I'm 18 and female and still getting ridiculous quotes.:angry: The only thing I that I think is hindering me is my address as I live in London. I'm also gonna try and use my parents as named drivers and see how that goes.

Latest

Trending

Trending