The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beanie99
By the way, with the milages you are quoting, your brother is the main driver, not you. If he is a Police Officer he will know all the rules and regulations.

Technically, not really. Every day, I will be driving to work, and from work ONLY. only 3 - 4 days of the MONTH, will he be driving the car on long distance trips.

Which means i am the mainly driver as I'll be using the car the most.
Original post by flown_muse
I just changed the occupations and it's jumped to 4500...

Holy smokes, where did you go to do the quote and what were the occupations before?
Reply 1382
OP, You're not going to get a cheaper quote unless you go for a classic car on classic car insurance. The black box doesn't seem that all bad and if you're not going to drive like a knob then it shouldn't be an issue :wink: Plus you get refunds every 90 days if you've not speeded and got good scores so your quote could work out even cheaper. :wink:
Hmm yea true, I'll probably just stick it out and go for it. Just basically drive like a good o'l granddad for a year. *Cries"
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Holy smokes, where did you go to do the quote and what were the occupations before?

I was just looking at confused.com

I didn't know your name so I had it as mine, Miss .. ...

Then when I went to change occupations I noticed I'd left the name the same so I changed it to Mr David Johnson, changed from full time education to scientist, an retail manager to police officer, and up it went by 3 grand!

Then when I went to change occupations I noticed I'd left the name the same so I changed it to Mr David Johnson, changed from full time education to scientist, an retail manager to police officer, and up it went by 3 grand!

Perhaps a retail manager are less risky to insure than police officers, especially in poorer areas?

Or I could just be spewing out a load of rubbish. Either or
Reply 1386
Hmm yea true, I'll probably just stick it out and go for it. Just basically drive like a good o'l granddad for a year. *Cries"

I've just got my box fitted recently and still waiting for my scores to update but from what other people have said It's not that bad, They mostly just care about speeding and going out after 11 at night.

I get what you're saying because I tried my best to get a standard policy that wasn't insanely expensive but you just gotta stick it out for a year man, Get first years no claims then we'll be free from big brother and have more cheaper options :wink: It's only a year it's no time at all really the rate these months are flying.

At the end of the day £1260 vs £2000 - £3000 + for a "standard" quote It makes better financial sense as that extra money can be spent on fixing the car up / petrol and generally going towards better things :biggrin:

HAHA, madness..

Original post by de_monies
Perhaps a retail manager are less risky to insure than police officers, especially in poorer areas?

Or I could just be spewing out a load of rubbish. Either or

Hahaha, possibily.. then again, that postcode is not a poor area either. It's meant to be posh, dickens heath/ solihull is a posh area.

Original post by +Adam+
I've just got my box fitted recently and still waiting for my scores to update but from what other people have said It's not that bad, They mostly just care about speeding and going out after 11 at night.

I get what you're saying because I tried my best to get a standard policy that wasn't insanely expensive but you just gotta stick it out for a year man, Get first years no claims then we'll be free from big brother and have more cheaper options :wink: It's only a year it's no time at all really the rate these months are flying.

At the end of the day £1260 vs £2000 - £3000 + for a "standard" quote It makes better financial sense as that extra money can be spent on fixing the car up / petrol and generally going towards better things :biggrin:

Yea your right, well I won't be driving at 11 so that's fine anyways, I'll get that quote and stick it out, a year will fly by anyways. :biggrin:

thanks bro
It might be to do with the amount of dual carriageway around you with no speed cameras :tongue: no offence, everyone seems to drive like a dick around that area (my grandad lives right by Maypole sainsburys so I drive around there quite a lot)
Reply 1389
Technically, not really. Every day, I will be driving to work, and from work ONLY. only 3 - 4 days of the MONTH, will he be driving the car on long distance trips.

Which means i am the mainly driver as I'll be using the car the most.

If you have gone through the online quote with Coop you will know that you put in your own mileage (1000) then when you add your brother, his mileage too. From what they told me on the phone, this would make brother main driver.

Did you mean 1000 a year? Even with 30 days holiday, driving every day to work would make your journey less than 1.5 miles each way?! No social use at all?
Reply 1390
If you have gone through the online quote with Coop you will know that you put in your own mileage (1000) then when you add your brother, his mileage too. From what they told me on the phone, this would make brother main driver.

Did you mean 1000 a year? Even with 30 days holiday, driving every day to work would make your journey less than 1.5 miles each way?! No social use at all?

Online it says estimated mileage for previous year, You're only covering them for those miles. On the policy certificate you are listed as main driver. You can even phone them up and make them higher they just warn you not to go over.

If they did class the brother as the main driver then it would have been stated and they would have changed it on the policy. They allow it. :smile:
Original post by RibenaRockstar
It might be to do with the amount of dual carriageway around you with no speed cameras :tongue: no offence, everyone seems to drive like a dick around that area (my grandad lives right by Maypole sainsburys so I drive around there quite a lot)

Ah yea, Live like 10 minutes away from maypole sainsburys, been around there and there's deffo a lot of dual carriageway haha. From what I've seen, there's tons of speed cameras around.

That maypole roundabout where you can't stay in the right lane is a joke.

Ye basically to and from work. only, I'll be doing my shopping like literally after work. and driving home. Where I work, there's a shopping center so I can leave my car in the car park and do my shopping and go home.

No social use at all.
Ah yea, Live like 10 minutes away from maypole sainsburys, been around there and there's deffo a lot of dual carriageway haha. From what I've seen, there's tons of speed cameras around.

That maypole roundabout where you can't stay in the right lane is a joke.

Ye basically to and from work. only, I'll be doing my shopping like literally after work. and driving home. Where I work, there's a shopping center so I can leave my car in the car park and do my shopping and go home.

No social use at all.

There's lots of speed cameras on that stretch right by the Maypole, because it used to be a favourite of boy racers and car companies (to test their new models), but there's lots more that isn't.
And yes, hate that roundabout.
There's lots of speed cameras on that stretch right by the Maypole, because it used to be a favourite of boy racers and car companies (to test their new models), but there's lots more that isn't.

ah ok, didn't know that. :biggrin:
Reply 1394
Original post by tomrw
No offence if you're driving for only 1000 miles a year, you may aswell take the bus.

Who wants to sit on a dirty smelly bus surrounded by scumbags?
Original post by +Adam+
OP, You're not going to get a cheaper quote unless you go for a classic car on classic car insurance. The black box doesn't seem that all bad and if you're not going to drive like a knob then it shouldn't be an issue :wink: Plus you get refunds every 90 days if you've not speeded and got good scores so your quote could work out even cheaper. :wink:

Thought you had to be 21 for classic car insurance?
Original post by JC.

Fair point. :redface:

I did my test here, at the time it was the 3rd hardest in the Midlands (apparently), that HORRIBLE junction before you reach Becketts, where you have to pull onto the dual carriageway :mad:
Original post by JC.

Exactly, I'm sick of going on buses. Full of dirt add going on a bus and touching the railings it's probably the second most dirtiest thing to touch behind handling money currency.

We'll It seems I won't be able to get a quote to match that similar one I got on co op so I'm gonna go for it.

Tbh, it doesn't seem to bad, I don't need to drive after 11pm, I can handle the speed limits, corners, harsh breaking crap. So long as I drive fine. I shouldn't see the issue.
Reply 1399
Original post by 321zero
Thought you had to be 21 for classic car insurance?

Some of them you do but some they let you if you ring, Adrian Flux always gave me a quote when I was looking and I'm 20 :smile: I found them the best in terms of price for classic cars so If you're looking try them.

Latest

Trending

Trending