The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JRChapman
I'm 17 years old, and have spent a while looking for reasonably priced car insurance. I've found that insuring an Austin Mini, can cost considerably less than cars, such as Peugeot 106's, but I'm still confused as to what to do, and where to look...
-Should I try to start driving as soon as possible, to build up a no claims discount, or should I wait until a car is a necessity (perhaps when I leave home to go to Uni)?
-What sort of car should I be looking at (I've heard that 'Classic' cars are considerably cheaper to insure than many newer cars, such as the 106)?
-Where have you found the cheapest quotes?

Many thanks.

Check confused.com, but definitely try calling them up for a quote as they can be cheaper...............the ones which fit black boxes are pretty good for us young drivers like Bell from Admiral, Co-op and insurethebox are pretty good :smile:
If this helps with your decision to start driving sooner rather than later I will have been driving for 6 years in May, I have 3 years no claims, no accidents or anything and people still want to charge me up to £700 for a 1.9 L TDi! I'd go for something with a nice small engine, 1.0 or something like that. Try to stay away from Saxo's, Polo's, 106's etc because they are 'typical' young drivers cars to the policies are always more expensive.
Original post by JRChapman
I'm 17 years old, and have spent a while looking for reasonably priced car insurance. I've found that insuring an Austin Mini, can cost considerably less than cars, such as Peugeot 106's, but I'm still confused as to what to do, and where to look...
-Should I try to start driving as soon as possible, to build up a no claims discount, or should I wait until a car is a necessity (perhaps when I leave home to go to Uni)?
-What sort of car should I be looking at (I've heard that 'Classic' cars are considerably cheaper to insure than many newer cars, such as the 106)?
-Where have you found the cheapest quotes?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I'm the moderator for this section and have merged your thread into the cheap insurane sticky. The best advice is in the OP(Original post) of this thread. There's the money saving expert guide which you should follow.

Going over all the different things it tells you to can take literally hours but to save hundreds of pounds it's definitely worth it...

I'd say wait until a car is a neccessity as insurance is very expensive. No point having it just for fun unless you're well off financially or hae help.

Classic cars are cheaper to insure but as are a lot of "non-Studenty" cars. Avoid all the common Corsas/Clios/206s and the price will be cheaper...
can someone help me place???? i got a quote on collingwoods car insurance company and it brought it right down, BUT im confused. do they not let you insurance with them once you have passed????? thanks x
Original post by bkopeland
can someone help me place???? i got a quote on collingwoods car insurance company and it brought it right down, BUT im confused. do they not let you insurance with them once you have passed????? thanks x

Nope. They're only for learner drivers.
Original post by Motorbiker
Hi,

I'm the moderator for this section and have merged your thread into the cheap insurane sticky. The best advice is in the OP(Original post) of this thread. There's the money saving expert guide which you should follow.

Going over all the different things it tells you to can take literally hours but to save hundreds of pounds it's definitely worth it...

I'd say wait until a car is a neccessity as insurance is very expensive. No point having it just for fun unless you're well off financially or hae help.

Classic cars are cheaper to insure but as are a lot of "non-Studenty" cars. Avoid all the common Corsas/Clios/206s and the price will be cheaper...

Thank you :smile:
I haven't started driving yet but I hopefully plan to within the next 6 months. I was looking at what car I might get and have been frequently recommended the good old Ford Fiesta. The model I'm currently looking at is a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 5 door hatchback. 1999, 1.2L, Petrol, 50k mileage.
When asked I have added in that I'd be doing around 12,000 miles annually but for Quinn whether you do 3,000 miles or 16,000 miles it doesn't affect the quote.

Quinn car insurance (which has been giving me better deals than GoCompare) quoted me £3085 when paid all at once. I think I can get 10% off that for being a student so that's £2750 or so. That's by far the best quote I've got and all the other cars I've quoted are roughly the same price and often a lot more on GoCompare (Vauxhall corsa, toyota corolla etc.)

How are people getting such cheap quotes for their insurance? Ideally I want to pay under £2000 but I don't know if that's possible with your first car without any no claims bonus. I know multi-car discount might make a different but does anyone have any experience with the difference multi-car discount makes or other suggestions? Could possibly get 4 cars on a multi-car discount.

AND no I don't want to be named as a second driver to a parent.
Have realised there is a sticky on this but not sure if that would cover everything I've asked or not :redface:
Pretty sure the 1.25 zetec is a higher insurance group because of the 16v engine. I think the 1.3 duratec engine is cheaper to insure. Try adding one of your parents as a named driver to your policy, this helps mine a lot
(edited 11 years ago)
i've been driving for two years and my renewal is £2700 i've never made a claim but i live in a rubbish area and that quote was with a box thing the others were £3000+. My quote for the posh village i used to work in £800 yep fml.
Original post by harreeeee
Pretty sure the 1.25 zetec is a higher insurance group because of the 16v engine. I think the 1.3 duratec engine is cheaper to insure. Try adding one of your parents as a named driver to your policy, this helps mine a lot

Engine size matter, but it's not the be all and end all.

I get cheaper quotes with a 1.8L Vauxhall Vectra, in comparison t o a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa!
I just typed in the same old details with AVIVA on the same car and I got an amazing quote of £1835. Perhaps they prefer my area to other companies? In addition to that, if I add my dad as a secondary driver (and he may well use the car) who has no claims in years then it drops to £1450. Is that right? It seems unheard of for a new driver. I must have done something wrong but I can't seem to find that mistake anywhere on my details.
Original post by Crazydavy
I just typed in the same old details with AVIVA on the same car and I got an amazing quote of £1835. Perhaps they prefer my area to other companies? In addition to that, if I add my dad as a secondary driver (and he may well use the car) who has no claims in years then it drops to £1450. Is that right? It seems unheard of for a new driver. I must have done something wrong but I can't seem to find that mistake anywhere on my details.

Aviva are quite cheap for car insurance- ive found that out. It even looks like ill be staying with them when i renew in march as they are that cheap!!
It is perfectly possible to get those sorts of quotes if you look hard enough so you havent done anything wrong.
Id deffinately recommend adding named drivers though- so you where right to think about adding your dad. Try adding your mum as a named driver as well, and also anyone else you can think of, such as older siblings and grandparents, even if they wont need to drive it.
Original post by Emma:-)
Aviva are quite cheap for car insurance- ive found that out. It even looks like ill be staying with them when i renew in march as they are that cheap!!
It is perfectly possible to get those sorts of quotes if you look hard enough so you havent done anything wrong.
Id deffinately recommend adding named drivers though- so you where right to think about adding your dad. Try adding your mum as a named driver as well, and also anyone else you can think of, such as older siblings and grandparents, even if they wont need to drive it.

Aw, my poor 80 year old Granded added £250 on to the premium :smile: I added my mum and my older brother and managed to get the cost down to £1300 so thanks for that!
Original post by Crazydavy
Aw, my poor 80 year old Granded added £250 on to the premium :smile: I added my mum and my older brother and managed to get the cost down to £1300 so thanks for that!

You're so lucky :frown: haha, i jest. Congrats that's over half price!
Reply 1795
I passed my test yesterday at the age of 19 and spent most of the day phoning insurance companies. The cheapest I got was £5,500 and that is with a black box fitted, Quinn couldn't even quote me due to my premiums being over their limit of 6000 and Adrian flux quoted me 9000. They were all insured under my name with my dad and an additional. Can anyone shed any light on where to look next? I have a peugeot 206 1.4. Not the best car for a young first time driver to drive I know but it came up at the right price and couldn't say no. Thanks.
Original post by Whittz
I passed my test yesterday at the age of 19 and spent most of the day phoning insurance companies. The cheapest I got was £5,500 and that is with a black box fitted, Quinn couldn't even quote me due to my premiums being over their limit of 6000 and Adrian flux quoted me 9000. They were all insured under my name with my dad and an additional. Can anyone shed any light on where to look next? I have a peugeot 206 1.4. Not the best car for a young first time driver to drive I know but it came up at the right price and couldn't say no. Thanks.

You tried all the big comparison sites?

And do you live in a high risk area?

Are there things you can do like storing it in a garage overnight at all?

Tbh you picked a silly car to start with which won't help matters. No point saving a few hundred on the car to pay a thousand more on the insurance...
Reply 1797
According to the insurance companies I do live in a high risk area, half of manchester is a high risk area so there must be some way around it. A group 1 car is out of the question since money doesn't grow on trees and finance is impossible with being self employed. Like I said before, I did buy a stupid first car but even the smaller engine group 1 cars come in at 6000 on comparison sites.
Original post by Whittz
According to the insurance companies I do live in a high risk area, half of manchester is a high risk area so there must be some way around it. A group 1 car is out of the question since money doesn't grow on trees and finance is impossible with being self employed. Like I said before, I did buy a stupid first car but even the smaller engine group 1 cars come in at 6000 on comparison sites.

And if you can't make significant changes then it could just be your can't afford it atm. Use public transport/ride a bicycle/walk places or get a motorbike and the insurance is 1/10th of the price.
Reply 1799
Original post by Motorbiker

And if you can't make significant changes then it could just be your can't afford it atm. Use public transport/ride a bicycle/walk places or get a motorbike and the insurance is 1/10th of the price.

I've tried places like money supermarket, compare the market, quotes one, confused, tried going to the companies direct but nothing less than 6000 if I pay it in one.

If I could store it in a garage then i would but in my eyes it's more at risk in a garage than sat behind 2 other vehicles on my drive.

Quinn direct quoted 2400 on a provisional license. Yes I know you have to have someone over the age of 21 in your car and had their license for 3 years but at that price whats stopping everyone driving on a provisional license?

Latest

Trending

Trending