The Student Room Group

Open offer and accomodation

Hey

Well I have been made a open offer for Vet Med, and although Im sooo happy about it, Im now worrying about accomodation.

Will I have any choice, or will it be a case of taking what ever room is left. This isnt becuase I want a big room or anything, its all down to money.

Im going to struggle to afford uni any way, and yeah just trying to work out all the details and stuff now...

So anyone who has had a open offer before how does it all work ?

Thanks
Reply 1
I didn't know Cambridge did open offers! On the other hand, freshers aren't given much choice in rooms anyway. In my case, I filled in a form in March to say roughly what grade of room I wanted, and then was assigned one fairly randomly. I believe that room assignments are done after results day. In other words, you'll only have slightly less choice than other students.

If money is the issue, then you don't have to pay your first college bill (as opposed to your deposit, which is the same for everyone) until your second term. By then, you should have been able to apply for bursaries etc. Remember, Cambridge has a lot of money and really doesn't want anyone to leave for financial reasons. Also, colleges don't put first-years in palatially big and expensive rooms!
Theres a girl in our year (also vet med at cam) that got an open offer and was put into jesus, room rents arent bad at any college compared to ther unis and freshers are normally put into lower rent rooms plus if you qualify for any sort of student finance maintenence grant you are guarenteed a bursary from cambridge (and they can be very hefty)

Also you will be told which college around the results days in august (as then they know which colleges have spaces) and they are unlikely to sort any fresher into rooms before then so you will would be in the same situation of any fresher and in many cases could email to ask for a lower room rent band then
Reply 3
Thank you that has put my mind at rest =)
Reply 4
FireAndIce
Hey

Well I have been made a open offer for Vet Med, and although Im sooo happy about it, Im now worrying about accomodation.

Will I have any choice, or will it be a case of taking what ever room is left. This isnt becuase I want a big room or anything, its all down to money.

Im going to struggle to afford uni any way, and yeah just trying to work out all the details and stuff now...

So anyone who has had a open offer before how does it all work ?

Thanks

Please say which college you're going to. The information is different at every college. Once we know your thread will be moved to the college's thread and current students there can tell you the information you need.
Reply 5
Craghyrax
Please say which college you're going to. The information is different at every college. Once we know your thread will be moved to the college's thread and current students there can tell you the information you need.

That's the point (s)he doesn't know which college (s)he is going to.
Reply 6
PeeWeeDan
That's the point (s)he doesn't know which college (s)he is going to.

:facepalm: :facepalm: I shouldn't post in threads when I'm half asleep clearly. I read that as 'unconditional offer' for some bizarre reason...

Ok, so then just the generic answer: You will know by the September before you start but not necessarily before. If you're worried about money then as soon as you find out what college you're at, just email them and tell them that you want a cheap room. If it makes you feel any better, its always the cheapest and most expensive rooms that are the most unpopular, so even if you are last on the list, money shouldn't be a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending