The Student Room Group

raf presentation

ok so im absolutly petrified of not getting in. and im only about to hit the first step. the presentation, they say you must ask lots of questions but i dont think i have many as they seem to answer any that come up.. so my worry is that im going to turn up to the presentation and sit there with nowt to ask as theyve got it covered. It'll look sooooo bad. help me out! :eek:
Reply 1
First of all, take a deep breath! The presentation is compleatly unassessed. No one is taking notes on you, or marking you. It is a chance for you to go in and get some information from the RAF and decide if it really is for you. It's a chance for them to show you a few videos, take about what the RAF is today and let you ask questions if you have any. (I never did and I didn't feel silly about it) You can go to a presentation and have no obligation to join so they are hardly going to think less of you if you don't ask questions. Just go in dressed smartly, be attentive, ask questions if you have any, relax and enjoy it. They will ask you afterwards if anyone wants to book an interview for AFCO selection and if you haven't told them that already you can do so after. You can back out at any point of RAF selection, even up to IOT.
Reply 2
Ah thank you so much!!! youve really put my mind to rest, i began getting a little too paranoid about it. i blame temping work giving me too much thinking time! haha.
You are a very useful source btw. ive printed off some of your info yuve put as a starter pack for me to build on! Thank u! Now ive just got to get my ass in gear.
:smile: one happy bunny.
Reply 3
You're welcome, try and get involved in the RAF chat thread and officer entry thread as there is lots of information in there. Also, when you go to the presentation you don't have to know anythig at all. If you want to impress though, try and see if you can recognise a few aircraft.
Reply 4
One tiny probelm also is that I mentioned that about 7 yrs ago i went to the doctor complaining of migraines.... so ive had lots of my options cut out. Thing is I was 13, wanting to have some kind of 'ilness' and being melodramatic as I never go to go to the doctors... it was never much more than a headache because of too much cheese and chocolate! hahah. Does anyone think there is any way of me persuading the RAF this?
ive already lost the chance for inteligence as im half french. blooming frogs! so i'm begining to get a little demoralized
Reply 5
ah, no idea how they will look at it.. however - I think they may look at it as a little pink lie at this stage to further you're application, best to ask them on this one.
Reply 6
fleurina
One tiny probelm also is that I mentioned that about 7 yrs ago i went to the doctor complaining of migraines.... so ive had lots of my options cut out. Thing is I was 13, wanting to have some kind of 'ilness' and being melodramatic as I never go to go to the doctors... it was never much more than a headache because of too much cheese and chocolate! hahah. Does anyone think there is any way of me persuading the RAF this?
ive already lost the chance for inteligence as im half french. blooming frogs! so i'm begining to get a little demoralized

Sorry but no, I have exactly the same problem, but my application was already in when I found out I was diagnosed with Migranes also at 13. The only way is to get your gp to change it, that is virtually impossible, you need to be with the same GP as then and he has to be in a very good mood. If you get him to cange it OASC are going to be very concerned as to the factthat is was changed and will ask more questions than usual and may find it suspect.

I have to go the the AFCO today and explain that I need my application changing and go over my options.
Reply 7
fleurina

If you suffered from migraines at any point in your life then there is no way you can fly in the RAF. It can massivly affect flying if you still get them on the odd occassion and with competition so high for pilots, why should they take the risk?
Reply 8
ok, ok! thats cool. Just wondered what the general opinion was. It cut our fighter controller and air traffic controller too from my choices. Theres no way i'd even think about bribing my GP! Ive moved around too much to even know who he was! haha. I started with the honesty option and im going to keep going with it.
Reply 9
Thats exactly the right attitude to have. You should never lie about anything or try to hide anything. After all, you are applying for a job with the MoD in the RAF. Things will be found out about you and if you're found to have been covering things up you are instantly a less desireable candidate.
Reply 10
OOh recieved thru the post my letter from the French government. Ah i lovethe french and their inability to do selfless things easily. I've been told im liable to the french gov. under law "blah blah blah" - but they dont say what that law is!!! It could be exempting me from service, but would the french let me know? No way. way too dificult for em! :rolleyes:

Latest