The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mouse Potato
How useful is it to bring a printer if you're staying on campus? Wondering whether to bring one or not, and other threads are confusing me because many of them refer to collegiate systems or huge campus areas where it's hard to get to the printing facilities. I'd like to know how useful it is at Warwick in particular. :smile:

I bought a laser printer before coming and wouldn't have survived without it. On my course quite a lot of my lectures the slides were available online before hand (though sometimes only a few hours, or if you forget to print them until the day of the lecture... just easier to not have to jog to a computer) and it was a lot easier to annotate them rather than try and write everything down(impossible!). We also got given £20 printer credit by our department which I half spent and only used for group projects.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1781
Very few departments hand out printer credit, I would add! I thought it was only Engineering.
Heh, I wish I got printer credit. Although to be fair, you learn to live without printing. In my first year I either went to the library (all of a five minute walk) or used my flatmate's printer (if I was feeling lazy and he was in) in exchange for printer paper and cider...and that was mostly just for essays to hand in apart from a couple of PDFs of book chapters we studied.
How much is printing then? :curious:
Reply 1784
Original post by Kidms001

Original post by Kidms001
How much is printing then? :curious:

A4 black&white is 6p per page, for everything else see http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/printing/workarea/faqs/cost
Original post by ttoby
A4 black&white is 6p per page, for everything else see http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/printing/workarea/faqs/cost

That's quite steep actually :curious: .. Maybe I'll invest in a printer :tongue:
Reply 1786
Just wondering, when do we have to be at Warwick? The moving in date, and also when does Fresher week finish?

I need to try and book work off while transfering at the same time, so I need some dates to tell work. Don't want to end up getting shifts at home when I'm at Uni.

Thanks!
Reply 1787
Original post by choly7
Just wondering, when do we have to be at Warwick? The moving in date, and also when does Fresher week finish?

I need to try and book work off while transfering at the same time, so I need some dates to tell work. Don't want to end up getting shifts at home when I'm at Uni.

Thanks!

Warwick doesn't do a proper 'freshers week' but does a 'freshers fortnight' where departments are kind of encouraged to go easy (some don't!) and theres more/better events on.

Arrivals weekend is the 1st and 2nd of October. If your surname is later in the alphabet they will recommend you come on Sunday. Most of us oldies would recommend you some on Saturday even if your name is Zaine Zhubi. You will probably have something in your department on Monday 3rd - induction or whatever - that you will need to attend.
Reply 1788
Oh found the list!

You need to be there for one of THESE!

(And don't bother going to the main VC's address)
Hi, I have another question :tongue: Are there lots of people who prefer pubbing to clubbing? Because in freshers week I'm not too fussed because the point is to make friends, but I can't stand clubbing unless I'm incredibly drunk, and whilst I do drink, I don't like drinking to enormous lengths. I'd rather go to a pub with a few mates and have more casual drinks than drink to get drunk, if you know what I mean. Am I going to just have to put up with clubbing, or is the stereotype exxaggerated?
Reply 1790
Original post by helenamm92
Hi, I have another question :tongue: Are there lots of people who prefer pubbing to clubbing? Because in freshers week I'm not too fussed because the point is to make friends, but I can't stand clubbing unless I'm incredibly drunk, and whilst I do drink, I don't like drinking to enormous lengths. I'd rather go to a pub with a few mates and have more casual drinks than drink to get drunk, if you know what I mean. Am I going to just have to put up with clubbing, or is the stereotype exxaggerated?

It takes all sorts. My group of friends go pubbing, gigging and barring, not clubbing.
Original post by Jale
It takes all sorts. My group of friends go pubbing, gigging and barring, not clubbing.

Perfect. That makes me feel better, thanks XD
Reply 1792
What are the sports facilities like?
Is the athletics any good? The facilities and training and do the athletes compete against other uni's

thanks
Original post by Planar
What are the sports facilities like?

For the money you pay, absolutely unbeatable. What are you particularly interested in and I will elaborate?

Original post by The Polar Dude
Is the athletics any good? The facilities and training and do the athletes compete against other uni's

thanks

Athletics compete in regional leagues as well as against other unis through BUCS. The athletics club is very active, though i know they are more active in certain disciplines than others (they are rather more 'track' than 'field' focussed, generally speaking) and it is also very sociable. The facilities are good, there is a floodlit track which is open to general student use 75% + of the time and running routes around campus.
Reply 1795
Original post by GarethBrown
For the money you pay, absolutely unbeatable. What are you particularly interested in and I will elaborate?

Rugby, cricket, shooting
Original post by GarethBrown

Athletics compete in regional leagues as well as against other unis through BUCS. The athletics club is very active, though i know they are more active in certain disciplines than others (they are rather more 'track' than 'field' focussed, generally speaking) and it is also very sociable. The facilities are good, there is a floodlit track which is open to general student use 75% + of the time and running routes around campus.

:biggrin: that's nice to know, i'm more of a track person than field. Can you also get scholarships if you're really good at track events or do you just medals/trophies if you win?
Reply 1797
Trying to apply for an NUS Extra card, but in the registration it wants my Warwick Card Number. I don't have one yet, but i can't see how i am meant to apply for one to pick up on enrolment like the Freshers Guide recommends if i can't apply with all the information in the first place...

...anyone know if i can get hold of this number some other way?
Hey, sorry to hijack the thread, buuuuuuut...

If anyone's doing CAS/American Studies this year, I've got the first year books which I'm willing to sell at a fraction of the price! :yep:

Quote or PM me if you're interested! :smile:
Original post by Krydel
Trying to apply for an NUS Extra card, but in the registration it wants my Warwick Card Number. I don't have one yet, but i can't see how i am meant to apply for one to pick up on enrolment like the Freshers Guide recommends if i can't apply with all the information in the first place...

...anyone know if i can get hold of this number some other way?

Your student ID number is a 7 digit number that was sent to you in your offer letter and when you firmed/insured Warwick (possibly in an email as well). For most of you it will start 11XXXXX. If you applied for deferred it might be 10XXXXX

Quick Reply

Latest