The Student Room Group

Muslims, sleepovers and going out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sakujo
He was really confused person either a troll or ill. We confronted him about his sig but he just kept repeating himself, it was quite weird.:s-smilie:

Good luck with the revision. :yep:

haha thanks. I'm adding you to the list below:biggrin:
I honestly think its more of a cultural thing....Im muslim and had a huge freedom until I was 19....and when I turned 19-21 I totally abused my freedom only coz I didnt know what was allowed and what wasnt....and now I cant do any more sleepovers and im 21 but it was ok wen i was 16 wtf.....so really wish my parents were more strict wen I was younger....
Reply 62
James4d
Yeah I guess it was. Fact of the matter is I think out of all faiths it is the one most hated by others, the furtherst behind, the most contraversial, hypocritical, I dare say foolish, of all faiths. In my opinion, and those of many.

OP's problem goes some way to proving it.

Well..Im a Muslim, my parents let me - But of course mine proves nothing :P

Meh..Its just in the spotlight. All religions are like this, they're all hypocritical and its all a cult, but they're hated one by one.
Reply 63
ChilliBonbon
I wouldn't be living "alone" as such, I would be living with others who share I share a flat with or whatever, or in halls (probably for first year). Plus I don't think I can really cope living with my parents much longer. I'm a reasonable person. My parents are totally unreasonable.

What have they done that's so unreasonable and is it because of them you now almost consider yourself an atheist?
Reply 64
In2deep
How is moving out when at uni going to help her?

umm... more freedom.
she can go out and do whatever she wants, her parents arent there to stop her.
Anonymous.
Aww you poor thing - listen sweets when I was younger my father was exactly like that! I did not have my freedom at all but now I do what I want to do - I don't really listen to them. They can't do anything - they will get use to it - I promise you. Enjoy yourself - go out and get yourself a job that way you become independant, ask a friend to drop you or pick you up.

My family are muslim but I am not but take your time and enjoy yourself whilst you are young don't let these traditions/cultural issues stop you from doing what you want to do.

Edit - I can give you a typical example, I work in the city and come home frequently late my dad assumes im sleeping around and I can't change his mentality. I have told him I am at work but he just does'nt believe me now I have warned him if he continues to pester me I will get his number banned from my phone so he is so far a bit less crazy but still crazy. Oh well they do it because they care but they don't care the right way. Which is very frustrating.

If you need to talk feel free to keep posting hun x

I'm not allowed to get a job as it will "get in the way of my studies".
i think i can honestly say i would walk out if eight pm was deemed as too late for me to be out
KayK
Well..Im a Muslim, my parents let me - But of course mine proves nothing :P

Meh..Its just in the spotlight. All religions are like this, they're all hypocritical and its all a cult, but they're hated one by one.

i think its normal if parents dont allow you to stay late or sleep over when youre a young teenager and its normal to complain as well, after all its that age. at uni it all changes and you really find out what you want to do and what you feel comfortable doing, e.g. staying out late, drinking etc
my friend who is head of the christian society does not go out late night because he says its to do with his religion or mix a lot with the opposite sex, sure he watches films and stuff with them but doesnt get too close.
everyone is different, plus if you the OP really wanted to, she would do it.
If you dont believe in Islam/God just ignore what they have to say and move out ASAP. Forcing people to follow something they dont believe in is awful.
Reply 69
Wait until you're 18 and then live how you want to. You make a good point of how stupid Islam is so remember that and stay away from it.
Reply 70
Hi, im also a muslim girl, i know loads of girls in the same situation you're in . However i dont feel that you're someone who disobeys their parents or is willing to lie just to go out with their friends.
2bh its mostly a cultural thing, im sure your dad is just using religion as an excuse because he wants to protect u...maybe in time once he realises he can trust u he will let u go out?

In terms of going out with friends, ive always been encouraged to go out and meet my friends, i dont think ive ever slept over more than once, but as long as i let my parents know where i was and that i wasnt getting myself into any trouble theyve been fine with me going out. I think this matter is based on ur relationship with ur dad...maybe if u spend more time with him he'll realise ur an intelligent and sensible girl...then he'll let u out more?
choco_inspire
I honestly think its more of a cultural thing....Im muslim and had a huge freedom until I was 19....and when I turned 19-21 I totally abused my freedom only coz I didnt know what was allowed and what wasnt....and now I cant do any more sleepovers and im 21 but it was ok wen i was 16 wtf.....so really wish my parents were more strict wen I was younger....

You are 21? You are your own boss. IGNORE them, if you want to follow Islam great, if you dont great. Just dont do what your parents have you do when are 21 years old, thats just horrific.
Reply 72
Abha
umm... more freedom.
she can go out and do whatever she wants, her parents arent there to stop her.

I think we fundamentally think differently. Going out and doing whatever you want is not good. People like you automatically assume that religion is bad because your parents always restricted you. Go find out if it's permissible in Islam and if not then why. If you disagree then you'll probably not a Muslim anymore:h:
ChilliBonbon
I'm not allowed to get a job as it will "get in the way of my studies".

This frustrates me because I have seen it with aquaintances and it's really annoying that parents put this extreme pressure on their children.

Couple of questions:

Would you apply for a job without your parents knowing?
Do you think you can cope with a job?

I understand how frightening it can be - trust me when I stayed out a bit late I was petrified! However I started doing it more often and my dad just argues with me that's it - I have told him clearly I will continue doing it whether he likes it or not but all we do is argue.

When I was your age I was severly depressed because of this - I still have my break downs but I really cannot let you do this to yourself. I know it's tough and I have been there trust me I know how hard it is but you need to start standing up for yourself hun.

If you can put up with the arguing then I suggest you do get out of that hell hole now - move out definately when you go to uni but for now keep yourself busy and take up voluntary opps with various charities.
In2deep
What have they done that's so unreasonable and is it because of them you now almost consider yourself an atheist?

I'm not allowed to go to parties. I'm at an age where everyone is having parties for their birthdays and I've had to turn down invites because I'm not allowed. The thing is people think you just don't want to go out and have fun and it's just not true. I can go to town with friends but if it starts getting a bit dark they don't like it. They don't trust me either. I'm a pretty sensible person anyway. I'm not sure why I'd consider myself almost atheist. Maybe it's because I don't live in an Islamic community, so I haven't been "properly" brought up to really follow the religion that I don't fully believe it, I'm not sure.
In2deep
I think we fundamentally think differently. Going out and doing whatever you want is not good. People like you automatically assume that religion is bad because your parents always restricted you. Go find out if it's permissible in Islam and if not then why. If you disagree then you'll probably not a Muslim anymore:h:

But do you think that people should do as they see fit, whether that is following Islam or otherwise?
Reply 76
Turdburger
You are 21? You are your own boss. IGNORE them, if you want to follow Islam great, if you dont great. Just dont do what your parents have you do when are 21 years old, thats just horrific.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I've been saying this all day:rolleyes: If you want to follow Islam then great but don't do stuff just because your parents say you have to or they say it's haram. If you consider yourself a Muslim then find out about your religion and you'll know what to do.
Reply 77
My parents are very liberal on this matter - but we're north Indian and a lot of our Pakistani and Arab friends are much more traditionally conservative, if such a belief can be summed up in a phrase.

Your parents are being over-protective by standards I relate to. Why not sit down and have a mature conversation with them, reflecting how you appreciate their care and concern but that you would also like some autonomy in life. It's not just a Muslim or North African problem but one which occurs in all cultures, the issue of over-protective parents. Don't disown them and move out asap like some people are recommending; such an extreme measure should be the last resort after levelling with your parents in a calm and rational manner.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 78
That 8pm home time is weird, I'd expect it to be about 1am and only if the cinema is miles away. 8pm hasn't been my bedtime since I was 6.

I'm not surprised that sleepovers are considered "non-muslim", muslims seem to be afraid of those sorts of freedoms.
:/ Depends on your parents.

I am a practicing Muslim and my family are religious, but that doesn't mean I can't go out or have fun. Going out or having fun doesn't always mean getting wasted and doing stupid things lol.

Most of my friends are non-Muslims too, I've known some since I was 11 and I've been to numerous sleepovers, it's all good fun. My parents trust me and are fine with me going out shopping, staying out to eat or watch a movie etc.

I think it's important to have a relationship built around trust with your parents, for them to be a bit easy on you.

Sounds like your parents are too strict tbh :/ maybe you should talk to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending