The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
JHutcher
Do you have to wear gowns at chapel?
Are they opitional?
Not even for Special Services?

*Will my gown get trapped in my spokes if i attempt to pose for photograph by riding down Kings parade?*

depends on college rules i guess. we were told that gowns were the norm for chapel but we wouldn't be turned away if we weren't wearing them. some special services (eg the quincentenary stuff) had smart clothes and gowns as compulsory, but others were casual/no gowns.

probably not, undergrad gowns aren't that long. however, other students will laugh at you. :P
Reply 2
I'll be the first there to taunt and jeer if you do fall off :P (Probably only to do the same thing 10 minutes later to prove I can :P)
They're certainly compulsory for the choir. Apart from that, I don't think so.

MB
Reply 4
JHutcher
*Will my gown get trapped in my spokes if i attempt to pose for photograph by riding down Kings parade?*

I must say: that's going to be a bad thing if I get the grades. My mum's a notorious photo pose setter-upper. It's so embarrassing.

"Now, Stephen, stand with your friends [who don't want to be photographed either]" - stands for ages trying to get the best shot - "no I haven't taken it yet. Oh never mind - I'll get another now."

I suspect, re the bike photo, that your gown would billow out behind you if it was anywhere near short enough.

(Cue short people from the previous thread going *I ams too short* *I going to fall off bike*)

:tongue:P
Steveee
I must say: that's going to be a bad thing if I get the grades. My mum's a notorious photo pose setter-upper. It's so embarrassing.

"Now, Stephen, stand with your friends [who don't want to be photographed either]" - stands for ages trying to get the best shot - "no I haven't taken it yet. Oh never mind - I'll get another now."

I suspect, re the bike photo, that your gown would billow out behind you if it was anywhere near short enough.

(Cue short people from the previous thread going *I ams too short* *I going to fall off bike*)

:tongue:P

I think it's alright to cycle with a gown on but there's not a real reason to in that you'll prob only use your gown in your own college - it's generaly not required for formals at other colleges. Also, it would be easier to cycle in an undergrad gown than a grad one.

MB
Reply 6
You can wear your gown all the time if you really want. Normal people won't think you're crazy but Cambridge people will.
Reply 7
you'll be sitting on your gown if you're on a bike, so it shouldn't billow out too much. alternatively, buy a basket (oh how cambridgey) and shove your gown in that. no chance of billowing or death/mutilation by spokes.

best thing to do is walk down king street in the middle of the day on the way to matriculation photo, with your gown on- the tourists love it
Reply 8
JHutcher

An arm of a friend's gown got caught in the spokes of a townie's bike on the way back from hall one day. Sent the guy flying, and when he got up he chased us up castle hill. Now THAT would have made a good photo.
Reply 9
priya
buy a basket (oh how cambridgey)

I have panniers! Though I don't have a bike (I'd get a mountain bike if I go to Bristol...)
Reply 10
Well Obviously i wouldn't wear my gown randomly at non-essential times... though do fancy doing the bike pose! lol

And whats wrong with other students laughing at me for the sake of a photo for my friends and family?

surely i'm not the only person who thinks the idea of striding about town with a gown sounds glourious?
Reply 11
amateurish
depends on college rules i guess. we were told that gowns were the norm for chapel but we wouldn't be turned away if we weren't wearing them. some special services (eg the quincentenary stuff) had smart clothes and gowns as compulsory, but others were casual/no gowns.

probably not, undergrad gowns aren't that long. however, other students will laugh at you. :P

whats college was that?
Reply 12
JHutcher
surely i'm not the only person who thinks the idea of striding about town with a gown sounds glourious?

Would hope so, but unfortunately not.
Reply 13
JHutcher
Well Obviously i wouldn't wear my gown randomly at non-essential times... though do fancy doing the bike pose! lol

And whats wrong with other students laughing at me for the sake of a photo for my friends and family?

they won't laugh at you if it's obvious that you're having a photo taken. they'll just pity you.

um, i think you are the only person who thinks 24 hour gownage is glorious. really, it's not that great. you'll just look like someone out of harry potter. you'll amuse the tourists, but scare any prospective applicants
Reply 14
priya
they won't laugh at you if it's obvious that you're having a photo taken. they'll just pity you.

um, i think you are the only person who thinks 24 hour gownage is glorious. really, it's not that great. you'll just look like someone out of harry potter. you'll amuse the tourists, but scare any prospective applicants

not 24 hours... but a few more academic processions and novelty bike races... i mean come on be proud to be a gown wearing univeristy!
Reply 15
make sure you do formal at colleges down trumpington street then. gives you an excuse to wear your gown to those formals, and seeing as you'll have to via Kings, you can um, parade, down kings parade, and revel in your gowniness.

i just prefer visiting threshers and strutting down kings parade towards a college/curry house with several bottles of white....
Reply 16
priya
make sure you do formal at colleges down trumpington street then. gives you an excuse to wear your gown to those formals, and seeing as you'll have to via Kings, you can um, parade, down kings parade, and revel in your gowniness.

i just prefer visiting threshers and strutting down kings parade towards a college/curry house with several bottles of white....

i can't visit threshers in my gown though... and i thought you were banned fomr gown wearing at other ocllege formals?
Reply 17
depends on college...i wore my gown to clare college formal. think you can wear them to peterhouse as well. tbh cos all the gowns look so similar, i doubt you'll be dragged by the gown out of the hall just because yours has a different design on the soup sleeves to another gown.... nobody will notice (unless your gown is like blue or something)
Reply 18
JHutcher
i can't visit threshers in my gown though... and i thought you were banned fomr gown wearing at other ocllege formals?

Depends on the college - certainly you can't at Caius, but it seems to be fine for Clare, where the rule is either a suit or a gown - my boy always wears his gown rather than come in a suit and there's never been an issue.
Reply 19
they should make suits at formal compulsory everywhere. boys just look so smart in them :smile: :p: changes their whole image in a second :biggrin:

(have found real reason why i love formal)

Latest

Trending

Trending