The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Robes and Gowns

If I am to attend Durham University, at a college with gown/robe formals, what does this entail?
Where do people get these robes and how often are they worn? How often are ‘formals’ held? Are there separate robes for matriculation, graduation and other formal events?

Any help/ in depth explanation greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
If I am to attend Durham University, at a college with gown/robe formals, what does this entail?
Where do people get these robes and how often are they worn? How often are ‘formals’ held? Are there separate robes for matriculation, graduation and other formal events?

Any help/ in depth explanation greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know, is wearing the robe at a college where it is designated therefore mandatory?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
If your college is a gowned college then gowns are mandatory for most formals (will be specified if not I believe, for example my colleges end of term formals are normally black tie non gowned. ). They sell them at the beginning of the year and information will be given about this closer to the time. I could either opt for a second hand one at a reduced price or a new one. I then collected mine from college when I arrived.
At my college formals aren’t very frequent but you’d have to check for different colleges because some colleges have them quite regularly I think.
We wore the same gowns for matriculation, I’m not sure about graduation but I think the gowns are potentially different and they have some form of hire service at graduation, but I’m not sure on this.

Quick Reply

Latest