The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham university gown vs no gown

I cant really understand thebig deal betwwen gown formals vs no gown formals? are the gown given by university? do we have to buy a new gown for each event? gown as in a long dress for women for that black university gown?

in non gown colleges, are there less events? what do students wear if not the gown?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I cant really understand thebig deal betwwen gown formals vs no gown formals? are the gown given by university? do we have to buy a new gown for each event? gown as in a long dress for women for that black university gown?

in non gown colleges, are there less events? what do students wear if not the gown?

Hiya,

It can be quite confusing at first, I was confused when I first started! It differs between all gowned colleges but the gowns are provided by the college but you have to pay for them at the start of the year during Freshers Week. You don't have to buy a new gown for each event, you use the same one and it's generally only worn during Matriculation and Formals or any other formal college event. Students also tend to sell theirs after graduation so you can also get them second hand for cheaper.

There aren't less events in non gowned colleges, the only difference between them is for non-gowned colleges you wear formal wear (Formal dresses, smart clothes, suits, etc) and with no gown over it. 🙂

For reference, this is what they typically look like:
Making friends at Uni The Durham Student
https://www.johnsnowjcr.co.uk/formal-dining.
Hope this helps!

-Ghala
(edited 2 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest